• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

7 minutes ago, Peachey said:

From what I understand we're just going to start with mild 150gr loads and just take some time figuring out what works and what doesn't. Plinking ammo as we'd call it.

My .308 Win "range trash ammo" that I'll shoot through any and every .308 Win gun I have, bolt gun or AR, is whatever brass I have left over, CCI 200 primers, Hornady 150 FMJ-BT projectiles, and 43.6gr of Alliant RL-15 powder.  Works in every gun, every time, and is pretty accurate out to 500-ish yards through any of them.  That's what I ran testing this thing, in this thread:    :thumbup:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We'll shoot out to 450 yards at night, and I'll run that same load through the 20" precision bolt gun, and it never fails me.  It's a good, overall load, for any .308 Win gun, no matter bolt or gasser AR.  :thumbup:

night.jpg

Same ammo through same bolt gun in this one, the year prior.  Tag-Team that target.  Beat it up.  :laffs:

It's a solid load.   :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Peachey said:

BTW, Mike, I really like your two single press set up. We've got just one, but have talked more than once about getting anywhere from 1-3 more. We want to have a dedicated portable loading bench/crate combo that can be a easy toss it in the Jeep and head to deer camp. Plus just a dedicated de primer. Plus one for my .45 depth/crimp that never ever ever needs to be touched lol. They're just so simple and affordable it's easy for us to dream about I guess.

I prime all my brass on single stage , you will get use to a certain feel as it seats the primer. I have been using the progressive press to decap and size pistol brass. Super quick ! The current setup with a Auto-Disk powder and seating die I can crank out about 15 -. 20 per minute.

BTW, Mike, I really like your two single press set up. We've got just one, but have talked more than once about getting anywhere from 1-3 more. We want to have a dedicated portable loading bench/crate combo that can be a easy toss it in the Jeep and head to deer camp. Plus just a dedicated de primer. Plus one for my .45 depth/crimp that never ever ever needs to be touched lol. They're just so simple and affordable it's easy for us to dream about I guess.

I prime all my brass on single stage , you will get use to a certain feel as it seats the primer. I have been using the progressive press to decap and size pistol brass. Super quick ! The current setup with a Auto-Disk powder and seating die I can crank out about 15 -. 20 per minute.

What Peachey was getting at is mostly accurate. We're just going to have to see what we can source for powder. I don't want to use up the Benchmark for range ammo. The case volume is overkill for right now but I do plan on her doing some load development of her own and eventually be prepared to roll some accurate loads. More for the experience than a necessity right now. I'm not a expert at any of this myself but I learned a lot getting anal about 54r so that's all I know to guide her to do. 45acp is easy and forgiving and that's where most of our mutual experience lies. Thank you for the powder recommendations they are now the top of the list.

4 hours ago, WestGaDad said:

What Peachey was getting at is mostly accurate. We're just going to have to see what we can source for powder. I don't want to use up the Benchmark for range ammo. The case volume is overkill for right now but I do plan on her doing some load development of her own and eventually be prepared to roll some accurate loads. More for the experience than a necessity right now. I'm not a expert at any of this myself but I learned a lot getting anal about 54r so that's all I know to guide her to do. 45acp is easy and forgiving and that's where most of our mutual experience lies. Thank you for the powder recommendations they are now the top of the list.

Start out and get some M80 147gr bullets . Then step up and get some Hornady 150gr FMJ-BT #3037.

After you have more experience try these bullets :

Hornady 308 _ 168gr BTHP #30501

Sierra Matchking 168gr HPBT #2200

Sierra Gameking 165gr HPBT #2140

The tipped bullets are great but more pricey than the 3 that are proven to work in our guns.

9 hours ago, Peachey said:

Lee basic press $35 to $40  FSReloading 

Lee 4 die set for 308 at Amazon !

Lee primer or RCBS primer setup both work great. I am not into the hand primer thing in front of the TV.

lee-precision-reloader-press90045-1105-228x228.jpg

Just a couple things with primers and powders  :

Magnum Primers with ball powders only !

Slower powders will get faster projectiles but need longer barrels.

Flake powders need each load to be weighed !

Stick powders can have compressed loads and work better at that point. ,(Listen for the crunch)

Federal Primers go bang EVERY TIME !

Oh yeah Mike, I have a RCBS die set coming as we speak! I discovered that my .45 shell holder is the same for 308, so that's already handled. Just need another single die for the auto disk powder dispenser and I think I'm ready to start.

2 hours ago, Peachey said:

Oh yeah Mike, I have a RCBS die set coming as we speak! I discovered that my .45 shell holder is the same for 308, so that's already handled. Just need another single die for the auto disk powder dispenser and I think I'm ready to start.

Need a case trimmer pilot and holder. The cutter and chuck are with the 54r stuff. Need some dedicated calipers so I don't have to keep bringing mine home from work.

3 hours ago, WestGaDad said:

Need a case trimmer pilot and holder. The cutter and chuck are with the 54r stuff. Need some dedicated calipers so I don't have to keep bringing mine home from work.

Get a Harbor Freight electronic unit <$10

Lee has two different formats on the trimmers. That with get you started , you can upgrade later. Most LGS's should have it in stock , attach it to a drill and mount the drill in a vice. Get a chamfer cutter to de-burr your brass cases. Lyman,RCBS Lee either a screwdriver type or a cone type. Don't get carried away just scuff it inside and outside of the cases. Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die , it is a must have item for rounds going through an AR. About $20. If you don't have a scale get a cheap electronic one at Harbor Freight or use the old triple beam in the closet.

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

Get a Harbor Freight electronic unit <$10

Lee has two different formats on the trimmers. That with get you started , you can upgrade later. Most LGS's should have it in stock , attach it to a drill and mount the drill in a vice. Get a chamfer cutter to de-burr your brass cases. Lyman,RCBS Lee either a screwdriver type or a cone type. Don't get carried away just scuff it inside and outside of the cases. Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die , it is a must have item for rounds going through an AR. About $20. If you don't have a scale get a cheap electronic one at Harbor Freight or use the old triple beam in the closet.

We've got the drill type trimmer. I think it needs a 308 specific "pilot" as he called it (looks like a de priming pin). Got a Frankford digital scale, spent many hours goofing with that thing before we got the powder dispenser lol. The die set I ordered is a RCBS 15501. It says it has a crimper in the seating die, is it sufficient? I know I'm mixing RCBS dies and a Lee single press, but my understanding is that since it's a single it should work. We'll see?!? Oh, and the cone type burr tool and primer pocket tool we have as well. I hope to have it all together and ready to "roll my own" by Sunday. We've got a Habitat for Humanity thing we're doing on Saturday, so maybe we can swing by the mega gun store and grab some powder and projectiles and the other small tools I need while we're in the city.

Well just figured I'd update y'all. We went to what is supposed to be "the world's biggest gun store" and supposedly have "all your reloading needs". Well, not all my needs lol. 

Really small selection of powder and projectiles. But we were there so we got what we could at least. 

Wound up with IMR 4895 and some Hornady 165gr SPBT to try. Got on the web and found some published load data for that combo from Hogdens interactive manual site. We/he have never used IMR 4895, but it has quite the following and a bunch of published data for 54r and 30-30 which is a plus. 

So now I'm just still awaiting my die set to get here and hopefully I'll have some nice 308 handloads to show off lol.

Die set arrived today!!! Mixed it up with presents for my daughter and didn't realize it was MY package until just now!! The decapping pin sure does stick out a lot further than a Lee style does. Really like the locking rings though.