• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

Mistakes were made in the process of trying to make blanks from once fired brass. I crushed two just a bit too hard; but might as well rescue the powder. Powder weighed the same for the re-made loads. 

That star crimp and close isn't easy to do. I really would like two manual presses next to each other; with both dies side-by-side if I wanted to do this more often. I can't see it ever working well in an automated or progressive setup at home.

Still want to crimp those three with hand pliers after the fact... But it's a ladder load of Unique. Have a few other things to try after I see how this works out.

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Lane said:

Mistakes were made in the process of trying to make blanks from once fired brass. I crushed two just a bit too hard; but might as well rescue the powder. Powder weighed the same for the re-made loads. 

That star crimp and close isn't easy to do. I really would like two manual presses next to each other; with both dies side-by-side if I wanted to do this more often. I can't see it ever working well in an automated or progressive setup at home.

Still want to crimp those three with hand pliers after the fact... But it's a ladder load of Unique. Have a few other things to try after I see how this works out.

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

What are the blanks for? I know what blanks are for but why? Got something special in mind?

19 hours ago, Lane said:

IMG_6368.JPG

These look excellent - but make SURE you seal those things. If you don't, that powder will deteriorate very quickly.   Making your own blanks is a motherfucker.  It ain't easy.  Well done.  :thumbup:

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

These look excellent - but make SURE you seal those things.

I had considered it; but didn't think it would affect performance in the short term. Fired them off a few hours after posting that picture. Made another set already without buckling any brass. My procedure seems to be a few partial but firm rams (each a little further than the last until the pre-adjusted die hits the shell plate); that to crimp in the star, and then a few more with the finishing die to crimp the butt-hole closed.

12 hours ago, Radioactive said:

What are the blanks for? I know what blanks are for but why? Got something special in mind?

5 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

It is probably illegal to even think the phrase

Yes. These blanks were for ballistics testing (and to work up recipes for powders I can actually buy off the shelf; but couldn't find qualified data for online). Blank reloading data appears to be pretty scarce... While Unique was mentioned a few times in other forum discussions; nobody offered even a starting weight. I'll post my results when I have some loads that compare to a standard M200 blank. I didn't want to use that specific "phrase" in my post; because there's no reason to give them ideas for banning things... But I can't find any reason to suspect it's illegal here in NY. They did ship that thing right to my door without any issue. 

Those first few turned out to be pretty light loads of Unique compared to regular M200 blanks. Tonights batch are considerably more likely to compare to a "normal" blank load. Then I'll work up from there until I blast through a can. I've been using a square of gorilla tape on the bottom to make cans stronger. Going to work up a load with Trail Boss next. Should be similar in performance; but I'm not sure which will be cheaper. Trail Boss is only 9 oz. in the same container that typically holds a pound of many other powders. 

I have Clays as well; but QuickLoad data didn't look super favorable in comparison to the burn rates of Unique, Red Dot, etc. I'm going to be extra careful when testing those loads with Clays. 

7 hours ago, Lane said:

I had considered it; but didn't think it would affect performance in the short term. Fired them off a few hours after posting that picture. Made another set already without buckling any brass. My procedure seems to be a few partial but firm rams (each a little further than the last until the pre-adjusted die hits the shell plate); that to crimp in the star, and then a few more with the finishing die to crimp the butt-hole closed.

Yes. These blanks were for ballistics testing (and to work up recipes for powders I can actually buy off the shelf; but couldn't find qualified data for online). Blank reloading data appears to be pretty scarce... While Unique was mentioned a few times in other forum discussions; nobody offered even a starting weight. I'll post my results when I have some loads that compare to a standard M200 blank. I didn't want to use that specific "phrase" in my post; because there's no reason to give them ideas for banning things... But I can't find any reason to suspect it's illegal here in NY. They did ship that thing right to my door without any issue. 

Those first few turned out to be pretty light loads of Unique compared to regular M200 blanks. Tonights batch are considerably more likely to compare to a "normal" blank load. Then I'll work up from there until I blast through a can. I've been using a square of gorilla tape on the bottom to make cans stronger. Going to work up a load with Trail Boss next. Should be similar in performance; but I'm not sure which will be cheaper. Trail Boss is only 9 oz. in the same container that typically holds a pound of many other powders. 

I have Clays as well; but QuickLoad data didn't look super favorable in comparison to the burn rates of Unique, Red Dot, etc. I'm going to be extra careful when testing those loads with Clays. 

Try the TrailBoss ! 

I used a bottle a few years ago when I was playing with sub Sonic Rounds.

If you have a problem it will not be a catastrophe. Way,way back in the day reloaders used to scoop up TrailBoss in the rifle cases put a projo in the seat it ! No BS , got that info from 3 old timers. 

TrailBoss is a low pressure powder.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:12 PM, MikedaddyH said:

way back in the day reloaders used to scoop up TrailBoss in the rifle cases put a projo in the seat it ! No BS , got that info from 3 old timers.

Awesome! That is some hilarious sage advice about Trail Boss. I had seen 4.0 grains listed as a load for 55 grain FMJ in a .223 (at 1074 FPS); so I started there.

I did run a single blank load of Trail Boss the other day, and it was just about right on with four grains. I had another load of Trail Boss that fizzled out for some reason. Since I'm using up brass I wouldn't use for anything else; that's not a shock. A few of these had some janky looking primers the had deformed on insertion. From the looks of my fired brass; these aren't likely to reload ever again either. There are scores in the neck where it was crimped; and I'm not even sure annealing could save them for another run. Certainly not very many loads... But on the other hand; I don't see a reason the die needs razor sharp edges either.

Think I found the end with Unique; but I want to repeat those loads to be sure. Seven grains of Unique seems to be fine, if not a bit hot. The final load of eight grains that I tested made a sealed can explode mid-air; which is a neat trick (and I didn't even get wet). Since the can bases were already reinforced; that might be a bit too hot for some applications. Again; I want to re-try those before I'm confident where it matches up with a standard blank. I have a pretty sweet bruise on my shoulder, so it's become more difficult to certify what a normal load is by feel. And "by feel" was probably a really bad metric to begin with...

Pulled out another box with some janky primed brass; same headstamps (primed it myself, but these are my rejects). Always meant to fire them as some kind of plinking rounds. Might as well fill these with the remaining question loads; including a ladder of Clays. Starting to think this is the very last excuse I need to see a labradar is in my future; how else could I qualify these? Doubt many people would try threading wet hot loads like this through an optical chronograph.

Signed, sealed; not yet delivered. 

Seriously; sealing the blanks is more difficult than dialing in the dies. A thick sealant is key; and I'd be curious to know how difficult it is to ruin a round by dripping too much enamel or varnish down inside. Quite sure I did ok this time, as I was careful to let it get gummy before application. To get a better mechanical seal, it would likely require a third die; or at least modifications to one of both of the Hornady blank dies.

I'd prefer to use a sealant that burns off clean. Overall; the sealant seems to be the most important issue when making these (without being able to get a mechanical seal). Thanks for the tip; it was well worth the experimental effort... Certainly something I can improve on moving forward.

IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG

^^^ With that said, night-time temps are finally dropping here, so it's time for me to get back out in the reloading shed at night and get shiit moving again.  I have 900 projectiles for the Grendels, 123 ELD-Ms, 700 projectiles for the 6 ARC, the 108 ELD-Ms...  Not nearly the brass for the 6 ARC, though.  I can't find .30 cal Hornady 178 ELD-X anywhere.  Can't find .264 Hornady 147 ELD-Ms, either, and that's my .260 Rem load.  I'm fucked on .308 heavies and .260 Rem stuff.  I'm out of projectiles.  400 Hornady 88gr ELD-Ms for the Valk, but the Valk is down, until the real LaRue parts come in for the 6 ARC gun.  500 of the Hornady 75gr HPBTs for the 5.56 heavies.  Less than 300 of the Berrys 115gr 9mm projos.  Less than 400 55gr 5.56 bulk projos.  I need to get to the reloading, so I'll jam up the 9mm and finish what I have for projos, 6.5G will keep me busy, I have enough brass to do all those projos.  I'm fucked until things start to resupply... 

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm good on primers and pistol powder. Rifle powder I'm going to be close. Might need another pound. I have 800 for 10/40. 900 55gr for the 223R. 200 75gr and 100 80gr for the 224V. 200 for the 6.5G but I have around 400 plus rounds already made. Not much 9mm maybe 1 berry 250 in 124gr and 200 XTP. Only 3 boxes of 308. GTG on the 357sig. And 2 boxes of 6.8spc.

I have 200 primed ,sized ready to load 10mm cases tumbling right now. Tumbled 178 9mm cases while I was at work. 12 hours of shine on those puppies.

I need to get up early and start reloading some pistol rounds. When it's cool in the garage.

I only have enough primers powder and bullets to do several hundred of anything I have but I have several thou of the more popular rounds. I’m not the biggest ammo horder on here but I have enough to last a while if I don’t go wasting it. I would like to waste(practice) more but right now resupply is tough and/or expensive.

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Here are some possible sources for the 178g ELD M.

https://ammoseek.com/reloading/Hornady-bullets/178grains?ikw=ELD

I couldn't find the 147g though.

The 178 ELD-X are the little heavy hookers that I'm after.  Those 178 ELD-X projectiles blow away the previous 178 HPBTs by a far margin, and they even beat the ELD-Match projectiles.  How'da thunk it, that the best Hornady 178gr .308 projectile was the hunting projectile?...   They did it, though...   :hail:

That custom load that I made up for the Mk11 was all with the 178 ELD-Expanding hunting projectile...  Bonus - expands and kills shiit DRT.   :thumbup:

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The 178 ELD-X are the little heavy hookers that I'm after.  Those 178 ELD-X projectiles blow away the previous 178 HPBTs by a far margin, and they even beat the ELD-Match projectiles.  How'da thunk it, that the best Hornady 178gr .308 projectile was the hunting projectile?...   They did it, though...   :hail:

That custom load that I made up for the Mk11 was all with the 178 ELD-Expanding hunting projectile...  Bonus - expands and kills shiit DRT.   :thumbup:

I bought a box of Hornady 178gr ELD Match for you. You owe me $36.99

15 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Okay ! 

What about some Hornady 6mm 108gr ELDMatch. ?

I'm WAY IN on those, brother - those are my projos for the 6 ARC.  I'm sitting on 700 right now, but there will never be enough of them...   I'm in.  :thumbup: