• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

There isn't really any pain in separating media from brass. There is actually more work involved in drying wet brass for my money, than separating out walnut media from brass.

Get a decent squirrel cage type of separator and you should be good to go. Banging the brass around in these cages helps to dislodge any sticky type of media.

FWIW, I had way more problems with corn cob than walnut. And even better luck when using walnut litter from a pet store than "real tumbling media" sold through gun shops, Midway, whatever storefront.....it seemed to be finer, it works just as well, and costs MUCH less.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Sisco said:

Corn cob is a pain.When I run out(this year) will never use it again.

Raven, good price on good brass. Always liked Norma.

There are some pretty good deals in the PX over on the hide.

I was lucky to get that as it sells quick.

I can't believe what people sell stuff for when they are getting out or need money.

Worked up a new load for the 300 Weatherby Mag, had been shooting 200 ELDX but really liking the BC and terminal performance of the 180 Barns TTSX, loaded 4 each starting at 81 grains H4831 at 81.5 about out of case volume, got some loaded at 82, 82.5, 83 (82.5 and 83 very crunchy, compressed load). At 82 hit a 3 shot string that was pretty nice, SD's started to open up a bit at 82.5, more at 83. 

I know, only a 3 shot string, but pretty tight nonetheless. 

I'll load a batch and see if it's repeatable. 

839592951_2019-02-2417_47_51.thumb.jpg.d1b418ce7b1acbfb849a7e6198a76bbb.jpg

1368782937_2019-02-2417_48_02.thumb.jpg.c5d38c2a996e942b87ed5e03733c0dd2.jpg

202960186_2019-02-2418_18_30.thumb.jpg.d080cedc3654690401f635419edec164.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished filling the primer catch tube on my Lee press. Resized and decapped every single empty brass case in the house (over a few days). It's all in the wash now, I use Tide for this, and it seems to work well. Planning to collect and evaporate all the excess water in the hot summer so I can deliver it to the hazardous waste facility. I don't want that in my garden.

Found boxes of reloads I forgot I had; even ladder loads for various guns... All that between serious work; sometimes watching the ice melt... But mostly working.

IMG_4056.JPG

I found a bag last night marked, "5.56 Match/LC Brass, CCI 41, Hornady 75gr BPBT, 24.2gr RL-15."  The brass was already primed with the CCI 41s, so I counted them.  186.  So I loaded up 186 5.56 75gr heavies...  Might as well drag the Mk12 Mod 1 out there this coming weekend...   :thumbup:

P1060981.JPG.a73e8af577466f12dc1db20a49a27149.JPG

• 3 months later...

Setting up the old LeeProgressive1000. Assembled a powder thur flare die from a 9mm and a 40s&,w ,the 357sig will be eating 142gr FMJ's for a whilei am having a hard time getting the Auto-Disk powder to work properly. 

Made 20 rounds with 800x.using 8.7gr.

I gave up with the Lee AutoDisk powder setup on the Lee 1000. Just wasn't working for me. Put it on a single stage press and got a spring from Ace Hardware. Now it works great , the disk system throws consistent charges but choosing a disk from their chart isn't even close ! Had to keep moving to a larger size just to get close to the grains of powder needed. Now I am setup and ready to reload ! 😆☢️🌋🔥💣😝

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up 250 -357sig 1x brass and 150 -10mm 1x cases . Deprimed ,cleaned and sized them. Managed to break a Lee decapping pin on one die ,then broke the ball on a RCBS sizing die. Glad I had spare parts ! Next session I will be prepping that brass.

Side note : l just loaded my 5000th round this year !!! 

Been saving the primer boxes to keep track .

I'm sorting out some 308/7.62 from this weekend. I've been told to sort by brand on these, something about internal volumes. Got probably 100-150rds of 45acp to de prime and clean. I should have already had it done, but Stranger Things has sucked my attention away tonight. So yeah, I guess I'm slacking on my end of the prep work lol.

BTW, Mike, I really like your two single press set up. We've got just one, but have talked more than once about getting anywhere from 1-3 more. We want to have a dedicated portable loading bench/crate combo that can be a easy toss it in the Jeep and head to deer camp. Plus just a dedicated de primer. Plus one for my .45 depth/crimp that never ever ever needs to be touched lol. They're just so simple and affordable it's easy for us to dream about I guess.

get a hand deprimer and watch stranger things! both (BOTH) work for passing time. shits the hand primer also works and (BOTH) build grip strength hahahaa ! inside joke but (BOTH) work well when i am laid up.. 

Edited by sketch
spelling

2 minutes ago, sketch said:

get a hand deprimer and watch stranger things! both (BOTH) work for passing time. shits the hand primer also works and (BOTH) build grip strength hahahaa ! inside joke but (BOTH) work well when i am laid up.. 

I'm glad you threw that out there. I've looked at one before (Frankford I think?), but read some reviews that it was kinda taxing after a while. Don't laugh too hard, but I broke my right hand at a pole dance class a couple years back, and it gets sore pretty quickly these days. So needless to say, I've been kinda stand offish about it. In retrospect, laugh all you want, we do now lol. 

1 minute ago, Peachey said:

I'm glad you threw that out there. I've looked at one before (Frankford I think?), but read some reviews that it was kinda taxing after a while. Don't laugh too hard, but I broke my right hand at a pole dance class a couple years back, and it gets sore pretty quickly these days. So needless to say, I've been kinda stand offish about it. In retrospect, laugh all you want, we do now lol. 

yes,  the frankford is what i use and an rcbs hand primer .. you can always build up a week hand.. no joke my shits is always broke but the brain and muscles adapt! pace yourself..👍

:hail:

37 minutes ago, sketch said:

I caught that, fucker...   :laffs::lmao::thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

28 minutes ago, Peachey said:

You rode the dyna home that night. You can handle a hand decapper. 

1 hour ago, Peachey said:

I'm sorting out some 308/7.62 from this weekend. I've been told to sort by brand on these, something about internal volumes. Got probably 100-150rds of 45acp to de prime and clean. I should have already had it done, but Stranger Things has sucked my attention away tonight. So yeah, I guess I'm slacking on my end of the prep work lol.

What are you gonna load with those cases?  I mean, what are you looking for from the ammo?  Super accurate loads, repeatable everytime?  Range blasting ammo?

I only sort precision loads that way.  I only use one type of brass for those loads (varies on brass manufacturer, by what caliber it is).  For Range Ammo, I gather up all that weird shiit and load it with a generic projectile, with a medium-towards-hot load, so it works in all those guns in that caliber...

1 minute ago, Peachey said:

If you only knew 98, if you only knew..... Lolol. True story though, they were on a Daddy Daughter date night at the bowling alley, and I was at the class with a group of girlfriends. I rode myself there, I rode myself home! 

Clutch-hand or brake-hand?...   I blew out a green-stick fracture in my right hand on a pretty immediately-violent dune crash, only one ever.  That's the throttle hand on a quad.  Sucked to get back to camp, and that was the first day on a long-weekend.  I drank in a buddy's parent's motorhome the rest of the time, and cooked.  Fucked my race quad all up, swole-up fatass right hand.  Fucked weekend, but I made the best of it... 

Put a knife in the palm of my clutch hand, hit the tendon for my index finger 2 years ago - 3 days for a big dune trip. I was out.  If I can't clutch, I can't ride, and if I can't ride, I won't go. First dune trip I missed in 14 years...  

I hear ya...   :thumbup:

Well I/we have never loaded 308 before. He's back off break right now but maybe can clarify better later in the morning. From what I understand we're just going to start with mild 150gr loads and just take some time figuring out what works and what doesn't. Plinking ammo as we'd call it. It'll be Winchester primers I know, cause we already have em. I assume Benchmark powder as that's what we have on hand. Some of the cases are Remington, some LC, some unidentified still. It's less than 100 total. In a nutshell, just playing it safe and taking our time. 

Right hand, front brake/throttle hand. I wrapped my index and thumb tight as I could stand around the grip and let the other 3 fingers relax. Back brake all the way except for a couple of red lights. Definitely a miserable ride, but I didn't want him to panic and worry, so I just waited to get home to tell him lol. It was frigid too (something like 34-35 that night), so that didn't help. 

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I only sort precision loads that way.  I only use one type of brass for those loads (varies on brass manufacturer, by what caliber it is).  For Range Ammo, I gather up all that weird shiit and load it with a generic projectile, with a medium-towards-hot load, so it works in all those guns in that caliber...

Example of what I'm talking about.  Only precision-based loads get specific brass. 

.260 Remington = reform it all myself out of Hornady .308 Match Brass. Only.  Nothing else has every been fired through that gun, ever.

.308 Win precision loads = only loaded in Hornady .308 Match Brass.

6.5 Grendel = only made with Hornady new packaged brass, or Hornady "Black" Grendel loaded ammo, once-fired.

.300 Blackout = only from handed down, factory-headstamped .300BLK brass; if I make my own, I only make it with Lake City once-fired 5.56 NATO brass.

5.56 precision loads = I will only load those with Lake City 5.56 NATO brass.

25-45 Sharps = only made from PMC Bronze 5.56/.223 once-fired brass.

.338 Federal = only made from Hornady .308 Win "standard" brass, or from purchased, once-fired .338 Federal brass.

.300 Win Mag = I'll load whatever I can get for that thing, until I get better with it, and I see round-deviation-on-target, that I can trace directly back to the brass differences.  It's beast enough, I'm not fucking with it until I get better with it. 

Everything else goes into the "generic range ammo" loadings.