• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

Turned everything on yesterday and leveled the scales; everything worked fine... The only problem was that it is impossible to read the display on the RCBS Chargemaster screen without viewing directly above it. My current goal is simply a functional and ergonomic setup. The original layout was nice; but if I can't read the screen, the Chargemaster is difficult to use. So today I worked on a new arrangement. 

Spent a little while passing the dish around, and so far it's not all that bad. I might make it a higher priority to adjust the Chargemaster screen if it slows me down; but I think I can get used to it. Sadly there is no contrast adjustment; and I'm not sure it would help anyway. That would require taking it apart the scale module and "fixing" the angle of the display. First order of business is programming loads into the memory slots while it's up front and handy.

IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6050.JPG

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Loaded 60 rounds of 44 magnum brass. Cci Primers, 24 grn H110 powder, and 240 grn Hornady JHP’s. 400 308.- 200 ea PPR brass and Winchester Brass. 168 Grn Hornady AMAX  bullets, 42.5 Grn RL15 powder. Thanks DPete!

Edited by Sisco

Your welcome @Sisco!  As long as I'm here I'll add that I loaded up 194 pieces (all I had that came with the rifle) of the 375 Socom.  46.4 grains of AR Comp under the 200 gr Sierra flat point.  Time to see what they do at more than 50 yards.

Edited by dpete

On 7/24/2020 at 5:19 PM, Sisco said:

Loaded 60 rounds of 44 magnum brass. Cci Primers, 24 grn H110 powder, and 240 grn Hornady JHP’s. 400 308.- 200 ea PPR brass and Winchester Brass. 168 Grn Hornady ELX  bullets, 42.5 Grn RL15 powder. Thanks DPete!

24 of H110 behind a jacketed bullet is a tight fit. What do you end up with for COL?

No whimps 44 loading for sure! :hail:

XTP mags or corelocks?

Ever try the 260gr Interlock? Designed for 444 marlin but a good bullet for the 44. 

2 hours ago, Albroswift said:

24 of H110 behind a jacketed bullet is a tight fit. What do you end up with for COL?

XTP mags or corelocks?

Ever try the 260gr Interlock? Designed for 444 marlin but a good bullet for the 44. 

XTP’s, actually still had a little room Left. No flattened primers, no signs of overpressure. Quite accurate in my Henry 44 mag carbine. Haven’t tried it in my S&W wheel guns yet. That is the max H110 load without going into the red in the Hornady reloading manual for that bullet.I can’t remember the COL offhand, but it was the spec in the Hornady manual for that bullet.

6 minutes ago, Sisco said:

That is the max H110 load without going into the red in the Hornady reloading manual for that bullet.I can’t remember the COL offhand, but it was the spec in the Hornady manual for that bullet.

From what I've seen throughout the years, the Hornady reloading data is conservative, quite a bit so.  All my precision rifle loads are always over whatever the max listed is.  Just where ever they work out for that particular gun or load, but they're always over the top of the table numbers.

NOTE FOR OTHERS - I do NOT condone starting out with a load that's OVER the max listed in any reference material.  However, if you're well-versed in this stuff...    Where you end up is where you end up.  Just be smart about it.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

From what I've seen throughout the years, the Hornady reloading data is conservative, quite a bit so.  All my precision rifle loads are always over whatever the max listed is.  Just where ever they work out for that particular gun or load, but they're always over the top of the table numbers.

NOTE FOR OTHERS - I do NOT condone starting out with a load that's OVER the max listed in any reference material.  However, if you're well-versed in this stuff...    Where you end up is where you end up.  Just be smart about it.

Yeah, I realize that. Generally unless I have.  a specific goal I don’t load up to the max anyway. I wanted this load to be comfortable to shoot in the carbine and the wheelguns.interchangeably. 

20 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Yeah, I realize that. Generally unless I have.  a specific goal I don’t load up to the max anyway. I wanted this load to be comfortable to shoot in the carbine and the wheelguns.interchangeably. 

Makes perfect sense to me, especially to run it in both.  My 45/70 load could go up another 5.0 grains.  Yeah, fuk that.  Everyone here that has shot that bastard knows that another full 5 grains of powder would be just brutal.  It sucks as it is now...   :laffs:

28 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Makes perfect sense to me, especially to run it in both.  My 45/70 load could go up another 5.0 grains.  Yeah, fuk that.  Everyone here that has shot that bastard knows that another full 5 grains of powder would be just brutal.  It sucks as it is now...   :laffs:

Duct tape a Maxi-Pad on the Buttstock and just do it .Bitches will bleed ! 😭

On 7/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, dpete said:

Your welcome @Sisco!  As long as I'm here I'll add that I loaded up 194 pieces (all I had that came with the rifle) of the 375 Socom.  46.4 grains of AR Comp under the 200 gr Sierra flat point.  Time to see what they do at more than 50 yards.

Wish I had brought my phone today. Shot that load in Your PPU brass. Five shots , 100 yards, could cover them with a quarter out of my M1A. Found my new go to load and bullets. Shot 20 total and my M1A loved them.

Edited by Sisco

On 7/26/2020 at 4:19 PM, Albroswift said:

XTP mags or corelocks?

Thanks for the 260 gr interlock tip. May try that. Might be good for Alaska for the bear medicine we have to carry fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Loaded up a couple ladders for the 6.5CM, 123gr SSTs and 143gr ELD X with H4350.

Then 500 rounds of 45ACP. Got 10 lbs of the cleanest brass I've ever seen, bro got it off Facebook something or other. Problem was it was about 15% small primer 45. What a pain, if you are listening Speer, Federal, Blazer, WTFO?

Man it's hard to tell the difference by eye! And sorting brass with the progressive is not the way to fly. 

At least the blazer headstamp was all the small, but Fed and Speer headstamped brass came in both large and small. 

Scored the last brick of 1000 Win WLP primers in town 🤸 also picked up a 1000 CCI#34 primers. Got. Pound of Varmint and Longshot along with a box of Hornady 150gr fmj/bt . It was a good week. Can't find any SRP or SPP in the east valley of Phoenix. I went to six stores. Supplies are getting thin again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 8:19 AM, Sisco said:

Thanks Bro!

That Alliant Reloder 22 is by far my favorite powder for .300 Win Mag, brother - hands down.  It works great.   :thumbup:

That stuff has my 225gr ELD-Ms moving at 2805 fps from a 26" barrel.  It's magic.