• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 Trigger question

I have a DPMS LR308 Mk12 that comes with an adjustable JP single stage trigger. While the JP is a very nice single stage, I really want a 2 stage trigger. Other than than Rolls Royce Geissele ( I really don't want to spend that much) what are my other options? I have experience with both RRA and CMMG 2 stage triggers. Would either one of these hold up in a 308? 

Thanks

This is gonna come as a shock to everybody. But try an Armalite 2 stage. The standard tactical 2 stage, not the national match. It's a pretty good trigger that I run in most of my rifles. With the NM you're getting close to the Geissele price.

Edited by Rsquared

I put a 4# Timney in my 308. It was the 5.56 version, not the 308 specific one. Worked fine on on most of my ammo until I tried some crappy 1975 Indian surplus. Stock trigger set it off fine but the Timney takes 2 tries to make it go bang.

Just food for though.

Edited by blue109

I purchased the G2S for my DPMS Recon 308. I had issues with the BCG getting hung up on it. I contacted Geissele and sent my rifle to them. They modified the trigger to work and gave me a SSA trigger, a hat, t-shirts, patches, and decals for my trouble.

They installed the SSA in my Recon and I installed the G2S in my Del-Ton. I'm very pleased with how both of them shoot and as far as I'm concerned their Customer Service is second to none.

This is gonna come as a shock to everybody. But try an Armalite 2 stage. The standard tactical 2 stage, not the national match. It's a pretty good trigger that I run in most of my rifles. With the NM you're getting close to the Geissele price.

Believe it or not, I was coming in here to suggest this.

You can even go with the Armalite 2-stage National Match, and it's not Geissele-priced.  It's adjustable, dependable, and a very, very good trigger.  I have one, and I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it.  It is an excellent trigger, and won't break the bank.  It's a little more than the RRA 2-stage, but very well worth it.

• 3 months later...

No. Not a stupid question.

Single stage = squeeze the trigger until it "breaks" and the rifle goes BANG.

2 stage = You can feel the trigger creep, and then it feels like it hits a stop. Squeeze a little more and the rifle goes BANG.

Simple enough explanation for ya?

since i've never heard of a two stage trigger, my guess is my early match training and shooting was with a single stage trigger which i learned to gently squeeze until the rifle or pistol went bang....the two stage would probably cause my old brain cell to shut down??

thanks, bill

since i've never heard of a two stage trigger, my guess is my early match training and shooting was with a single stage trigger which i learned to gently squeeze until the rifle or pistol went bang....the two stage would probably cause my old brain cell to shut down??

thanks, bill

The best way I can describe it is to think of it like a digital camera. Most cameras exposure buttons are 2-stage. It lets you press the button down halfway, which sets the auto focus, and then the 2nd click takes the picture. Of course if you're in a rush you can press harder and go through both stages in one push, but you don't get quite as fine and controllable of a press and picture.

Edited by FaRKle!

• 2 weeks later...

Recently installed a Geissele SSA-E ($200 at my LGS) in my LR-308 ... OMG!!!!!!!  I didn't realize just how "gritty" the stock trigger was. Dropped my groups by 1/2" and followup shots are on in no time! Wife 'bout  had a cow when she saw the receipt but she got over it (I hope). Shootin' buddy has an AR-15 with the G2S and that is a slick ride too.  Don't think you can go wrong with either.