• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forward Assist on a 308??? WHY?

AR-Ghost

That's all that I use on my builds now.

yeah, but that's on Armalites ;)

it really is all I use either. in your hand, it just feels totally right. gloves or not, it has the most even feel of any of them. my wife wanted as precise a replica of her M16-A2 as she could have so she's got a crappy old charging handle, I can't stand to touch it :D

I also like it for being quiet these guns are great for hunting except for one thing when you first get out of your rig and charge them they are louder than a train crash so i ride the bolt forward quietly and tap the FA a couple of time and I am good to go....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So this topic got me curious since I've never used the FA on my gun. Like its been pointed out it isn't necessary to use it, and hence I haven't. However while hunting I'd like a quieter option. 

So I loaded a mag with a PMC 147grain fmj which have always cycled fine in my gun. I pulled the CH back and then slowly let it forward. The bolt was about a half inch from engaged and I pushed on the FA several times and couldn't get anything to happen. What am I missing? 

So this topic got me curious since I've never used the FA on my gun. Like its been pointed out it isn't necessary to use it, and hence I haven't. However while hunting I'd like a quieter option. 

So I loaded a mag with a PMC 147grain fmj which have always cycled fine in my gun. I pulled the CH back and then slowly let it forward. The bolt was about a half inch from engaged and I pushed on the FA several times and couldn't get anything to happen. What am I missing?

Force of the FA was less than the friction of your bolt locking into the extension and round going deeper into the chamber. Could be due to tight bolt to extension fit, dirty extension, rough or improperly machined cam pin track, or lack of lube.

Also, does your BCG have cut outs for the FA to push on?

Edited by FaRKle!

Force of the FA was less than the friction of your bolt locking into the extension and round going deeper into the chamber. Could be due to tight bolt to extension fit, dirty extension, rough or improperly machined cam pin track, or lack of lube.

Also, does your BCG have cut outs for the FA to push on?

Cut outs like on an Ar 15 bolt? I thought it pushed on the shoulder of the bolt. This rifle was fully assembled when I purchased it so I assumed the FA would work with the bolt, but I will have to check tomorrow.

Cut outs like on an Ar 15 bolt? I thought it pushed on the shoulder of the bolt. This rifle was fully assembled when I purchased it so I assumed the FA would work with the bolt, but I will have to check tomorrow.

Take your BCG out of your upper, then push on the FA and look where it protrudes inside the upper. It pushes on the rear half of the carrier.

What Manufacturer's rifle ?   DPMS , unless they have changed something , you only have a small window where the FA engages the the BC

Here the FA is engaging the BC, top left of the ejection port ( Bolt locked into barrel extension )

post-11255-0-91929800-1404311916_thumb.j

No FA

post-11255-0-35803400-1404312226_thumb.j

This is where the DPMS FA contacts the BC

post-11255-0-85430100-1404312521_thumb.j

post-11255-0-34964500-1404312618_thumb.j

Comparison of M16 BC & DPMS 308 BC , notice how low the FA groves are in the BC , even if your DPMS 308 has these groves ( this low ) your FA is too high to engage them . By looking at the photos on where the DPMS FA is engaging , you can't put these groves up as high.

post-11255-0-36444700-1404312897_thumb.j

I personally have charged a pump shotgun in my tree stand with a Deer @ thirty yards & it made the Deer flinch , but it didn't run away & I could have shot it if it it wasn't a buck & my buck tag was already filled .

If the BCG is too far of Battery , the FA will not catch on that lip on the DPMS BC, there is a narrow window to catch that lip on the BC. You would just be pushing the FA against & sliding off of the surface .

Not sure of anything on the new G2 , I know very little about that new model .  & this is all if its a DPMS type 308AR , you'all with AR 10's , speak up , how does your FA work .

Edited by survivalshop

Armalite's that have the FA (not all of mine do) have the grooves in the BCG. Works like the M-16. But I never use mine. Like Edge said, these things are designed to just let the carrier slap into battery.

Edited by Rsquared

Armalite's that have the FA (not all of mine do) have the grooves in the BCG. Works like the M-16. But I never use mine. Like Edge said, these things are designed to just let the carrier slap into battery.

My DPMS is the same way

Armalite's that have the FA (not all of mine do) have the grooves in the BCG. Works like the M-16. But I never use mine. Like Edge said, these things are designed to just let the carrier slap into battery.

My DPMS is the same way

If the BCG is too far of Battery , the FA will not catch on that lip on the DPMS BC, there is a narrow window to catch that lip on the BC. You would just be pushing the FA against & sliding off of the surface .

Not sure of anything on the new G2 , I know very little about that new model .  & this is all if its a DPMS type 308AR , you'all with AR 10's , speak up , how does your FA work .

It's a gen1 dems and I'm guessing this is what's happening. I'll take a look at the bcg tonight. I haven't had an issue spooking an animal with the noise from loading up a round yet. Like I said I was just curious about the FA since I never use it. 

Earlier in this post Magwa mentioned that he uses his FA while hunting and I know he shoots a DPMS as well.