• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forward Assist on a 308??? WHY?

AR-Ghost

So I've been searching for the best deal on a upper/lower receiver set to get my next build started off right.I'm leaning toward the SI Defense Gen II (wish it was a low profile design), but thats a whole other subject. It seems like every receiver I've looked at all have a forward assist port, but none of the BCG I've seen for the 308 have the gills/teeth on the sides for the forward assist pin to engage into. So why have one? Why not just have a shell deflector and call it good. So now im gonna have to buy a extra part to fill a hole that has no purpose. It seems kinda dumb to me. You would think the companies who make and design the receivers would have thought of this! Or am I missing something here. Any one out there with some info or if any of you guys have a valid reason please fill me in. I consider myself a smart guy, but there's no way im the only one who's thought about this. Thanks for letting me rant about it.

It seems like every receiver I've looked at all have a forward assist port, but none of the BCG I've seen for the 308 have the gills/teeth on the sides for the forward assist pin to engage into. So why have one?

Don't need those gills/teeth.  This ain't 5.56.  It catches on the shoulder, at the diameter change.  It'll seat the bolt into battery every time.  Red arrow, pic below.

post-7-0-40189100-1392185665_thumb.jpg

It's been said here many, many times - if you need a forward assist to chamber a round - on a 308 AR - then you shouldn't chamber that round in the first place.  Spring pressure alone is MORE than enough to chamber a round in these things.

But, the forward assist DOES work on them.  Don't need any damn serrations...

It's been said here many, many times - if you need a forward assist to chamber a round - on a 308 AR - then you shouldn't chamber that round in the first place.  Spring pressure alone is MORE than enough to chamber a round in these things.

But, the forward assist DOES work on them.  Don't need any damn serrations...

Yup... and I do like how the F/A and the deflector block are integrated in some 308 uppers.

...and on the use of the F/A - whenever it's used, it more often than not exacerbates a jam rather than solving it by jamming the stuck round further in. Like 98 mentioned - spring pressure alone is more than enough.

That was kind of my point, if it's not necessary then why do the majority of manufactures put one on there? I guess the idea of I'd rather have it and not need it then need one and not have it! Comes to mind but I was actually most curious if they really worked with the BCG being smooth. 98Z5V took care of that though.

The whole FA thing is probably a feel good kinda thing that just stayed with the AR platform from when it was first needed ( didn't help most of the time ), because of a bunch of misguided decisions by bureaucrats who changed the type of powder & stated that the rifle never needed cleaning . FA was there cure all for there stupidity .

There are a lot of people who don't know any better, think they won't work with out one . It's . If it makes one feel good about having one on there , thats OK too

I use the forward assist, everytime I have gone hunting this month. When I get out of the truck, I load the rifle per our state law. It has been cold lately (0 to -20)temperature can effect your lubes and cause problems, I personally have avoided this problem by using the right lubes. I try to be as quiet as possible, at 5am the sound of a bolt closing carries a great distance. I hunt a over watch position on the rim of a quarry and the sound of a bolt slamming closed would be detectable even to a human for at least a half mile in these conditions. I am so noise conscious that I tape everything in my gear to reduce my noise signature (coyotes/bobcats are extremely sensitive to noise). I have also used it in competition where for what ever reason the bolt did not close (climbing a obstacle between firing points is where your going to reload to save time or just on the run ) during these times the weapon is suspended in mid air by the pistol grip and the bolt has a tenancy to not develop the inertia required to close all the way. This was part of the reason I bought a Rock River LAR8 it generates the most inertia when closing and a failure to load is unlikely. It is better just to insure that the bolt closed by smacking the FA as your dropping into your next firing position. Also you are dealing with some fairly high round counts during the competition. Once you arrive at the match site you site in and from that point to the end of the competition you are not going to clean your weapon, if you do you may change your point of impact. So your may be firing with 300-400 rounds down the barrel between cleaning. So  to summarize I bought a weapon with a FA. I am sure I will learn more reasons to have one as time goes by.

I have found the FA to be excellent anchoring the rear of my shell catcher. I us the cheap one that Velcro's over the barrel but on AR15s it always slipped after while but anchored on the 308 FA it never moves. I save all my brass so I love it.   

Jon

Edited by wfojon