• Visit Sportsmans Guide

need your recommendation/s for muzzle options

AR-Sniper

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

So this thread is pretty old now.  But it's still pretty high up on the first page so I'm gonna use it.

Surely there have been new breaks/compensators/flash hiders on the market since 2015 - what are all the cool kids using these days?  

I'd be interested in reducing muzzle climb while still having good flash hiding characteristics.  I've used both SE Vortex and a Kaw Valley linear comp on my 7.62 calibers.  

I don't want to spend $200 or whatever on a Battlecomp since I plan to suppress these in the next year or so.  $100 would probably be ok.

Its all been answered:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/308-muzzle-brake-test/

(SJC / Lund Titan Brake topped the .223 tests, fyi)

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/Video_s_and_Pictures.php

http://terminatorproducts.co.nz/

I've spent way to much time looking at all this.  It seems Nathan Wright's Beast Brake is the best performance, especially for the money - only likely beat out by the very expensive terminator.  The DPMS Miculek is probably the best cheap brake.  Not all will decrease muzzle rise like the JP eliminator, and some will dip the muzzle too far.

If you plan to suppress, you have to start planning now. If you're going to thread your can directly to the barrel, then continue as you planned. 

If you want to swap your can from Gun to Gun, then you'll want to use compatible QD mounts. You might as well start on that route now, instead of buying all new parts again later. 

Just remember, even though some companies advertise the best of both worlds with flash hiders and muzzle brakes, really there is only compromise. the muzzle brake part on those combo ones creates more flash and the flash part takes up space that would could be used for more baffles on the muzzle brake section.

now there is nothing wrong with compromise... I am married so I do it all the time. lol. but it isn't the best of one way or the other.

Agree. "A little less flash" seems pointless to me. It either hides the flash very well or it doesn't. I don't see any advantage to a small fireball over a large one but the large fireball will probably reduce recoil alot more. I say decide on the property most important to you and buy the device that does that the best.

I knew there would be a compromise as soon as I decided to look at brakes/comps, but it might be too much for me.

I may have to take my other 7.62 rifles out and compare the Smith Vortex VS that Kaw Valley linear comp to see just how much difference there is.

At any rate, I'll either accept the flash or not and move on.

besides, flash hiders help limit the flash to hide you better in war. that's their main reason for being. don't think any of us need that anymore. less of a flash can make follow up shots quicker in smaller calibers but with the recoil of the .308 platform you will still be recovering from the shot by the time flash has dissipated into the air.

My thoughts are, unless you are pig or coyote hunting at night where limiting your flash is important for not affecting your night vision/optics, muzzle brakes are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Welcome to the Shiny Object portion of this thread !!

PORKYPINE_large.jpeg

12 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Porkypine $350.... That would really F your day up. 6 inches long ! Ouch !

Mike you need to get back on the aderall again or I'm going to have to suspend your membership till you do