• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 buffer question--Need help

The Jist:
Bought a DPMS .308 Recon w/ 16 inch SS HBAR. Decided I wanted a long-range contender so I bought a completely separate upper and 24 inch SS BBL, gas block, tube, etc. As well as a magpul PRS stock that I plan to keep on the lower receiver permanently. I planned to simply swap-out uppers for doing different range shooting. Started thinking about he PRS stock and the rifle length buffer tube I had to install and larger buffer etc.

Question...Since I installed the rifle-length buffer tube, spring and larger buffer with the PRS stock...will that cause problems with recoil, cycling, etc. when I go to swap back to the 16 in upper? Could I mitigate extra gas pressure by regulating the 16 inch upper with an adjustable gas block?

Will it damage the action/buffer/spring? Does having the different length gas system do anything to affect the action significantly to cause harm? I don't want to cause any damage.

As you can see at the links below...the 16inch upper has the gas block located closer to the upper receiver than the 24 inch barrel does. I haven't shot the 24 inch upper yet because the new gas system was missing the gas tube roll-pin...Gotta get another one.

This link shows the 16in .308 recon.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-RECON_ep_93-1.html

The second link shows the LR-308 which has the exact same-length forend, barrel, and gas block location on it that I installed on the 24 inch upper.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/LR-308_ep_124-1.html

Please advise.

Hi Cody nope you wont hurt anything.....actually the 16" may benefit from the prs buffer/spring.

you have a rifle length gas tube on the 24" and prolly a middy gas tube length on the 16".....the buffer tube/spring is matched to the stock,not the gas tube position//barrel length

your best bet is to take em out and shoot em before you make changes.. you are prolly gtg :) Wash

• 2 months later...

Hey had this problem as well. Ive got carbine gas system. But the rifle buffer and the 308 bcg dont go together. The bcg is longer than a 556 correct? So I fixed this by using a 5.5oz carbine buffer and done. Rifle buffer 5.5oz the M4 full auto buffer 5.5oz that will clear the whole problem. And the rifle spring is just fine on the carbine buffer for this situation.

Hey had this problem as well. Ive got carbine gas system. But the rifle buffer and the 308 bcg dont go together. The bcg is longer than a 556 correct? So I fixed this by using a 5.5oz carbine buffer and done. Rifle buffer 5.5oz the M4 full auto buffer 5.5oz that will clear the whole problem. And the rifle spring is just fine on the carbine buffer for this situation.

Please explain what specific parts you're talking about, because your advice to this guy just doesn't make sense.  Your comments should be clarified before someone else reads it, finds some generic parts you're talking about, installs them...  and we're diagnosing some other problem they are having, after that.

Ok. Sorry about the miss clarity here. codyusaf04 What I was getting at is if you run a magpul prs stock, your gas system wont matter. The problem you going to run into is the bolt will not go all the way back due to .308 bolt is bigger than that of a 5.56 bolt. To clear the short stroke issue is to run a carbine 5.5oz buffer which is the same weight as a full lenght rifle buffer 5.5oz for the 5.56. Your gas system = lenght of barrel/gas tube which will have no effect on stock choice you need to match buffer and spring. And you can't use a .308 gas tube on a 5.56 due to the hole is smaller in a .308 tube. Sorry for the extra detail in all of this.

Ummm, there's no difference in gas tube size, between 5.56 and .308.....unless it's the rifle length has tube from Armalite vs the DPMS rifle length.

If also recommend using lr 308 parts or Armalite parts, which is why you were having an issue. There are certain parts that can't just be swapped in and out on the larger platform

Ok. Sorry about the miss clarity here. codyusaf04 What I was getting at is if you run a magpul prs stock, your gas system wont matter. The problem you going to run into is the bolt will not go all the way back due to .308 bolt is bigger than that of a 5.56 bolt. To clear the short stroke issue is to run a carbine 5.5oz buffer which is the same weight as a full lenght rifle buffer 5.5oz for the 5.56. Your gas system = lenght of barrel/gas tube which will have no effect on stock choice you need to match buffer and spring. And you can't use a .308 gas tube on a 5.56 due to the hole is smaller in a .308 tube. Sorry for the extra detail in all of this.

You can't run a carbine-anything buffer in any PRS setup, unless you run a length-adapter.  That's 5.56 stuff anyway, and I don't think anyone makes those adapters for the .308 rifle buffers.

The info you've just given this guy is WAY off base, man...  Way.

You can't run a carbine-anything buffer in any PRS setup, unless you run a length-adapter.  That's 5.56 stuff anyway, and I don't think anyone makes those adapters for the .308 rifle buffers.

The info you've just given this guy is WAY off base, man...  Way.

*snicker* yes, 78,  you're wayyyy off the mark. 

The PRS setup requires a LR-308 rifle buffer and matching spring. Other options are heavy buffers.

Edited by shibiwan

• 2 weeks later...

*snicker* yes, 78,  you're wayyyy off the mark. 

The PRS setup requires a LR-308 rifle buffer and matching spring. Other options are heavy buffers.

I'm having a little problem with my LR-308 as well. I recently added the PRS to my 16" carbine and of course replace the carbine 6 position stock extension with the DPMS  rifle stock extension, rifle buffer and rifle spring. All goes well shooting Fed 149 gr ammo. No FTF, FTL or FTE.......life is good but then, I put the AAC7.62-SDN6 can on and sometimes it do and sometimes it don't.......do any of you think a heavier buffer would help me with this ?? Recommendation ?? And also, when shooting with the can, the buffer spring makes a god awful noise.......weird

Thanks,

HC

I'm having a little problem with my LR-308 as well. I recently added the PRS to my 16" carbine and of course replace the carbine 6 position stock extension with the DPMS  rifle stock extension, rifle buffer and rifle spring. All goes well shooting Fed 149 gr ammo. No FTF, FTL or FTE.......life is good but then, I put the AAC7.62-SDN6 can on and sometimes it do and sometimes it don't.......do any of you think a heavier buffer would help me with this ?? Recommendation ?? And also, when shooting with the can, the buffer spring makes a god awful noise.......weird

Thanks,

HC

A heavier buffer would definitely help. Sounds like you're very overgassed with the suppressor.

You'll want this heavy buffer.

Edited by FaRKle!

Please explain what specific parts you're talking about, because your advice to this guy just doesn't make sense.  Your comments should be clarified before someone else reads it, finds some generic parts you're talking about, installs them...  and we're diagnosing some other problem they are having, after that.

^This.

If newb coming for information reads this stuff, it contradicts everything I've learned to this point.  This is the 2nd place I've seen 78 throwing out info like this that doesn't make sense.  Different gas tubes, ar15 buffers...por que?

Edited by atplowman

I like the new guy ;)

I answered your question in the other post

Thanks, I read it and am confident that the "ignorance-train" was limited to 1 maybe 2 people in there.  Reassuring to have my thoughts confirmed.

Seems like a very cool community here.  Knowledge is power, communication is key...and a solid helping of whit makes everyone's day better.

PS, I call my wife the waker...never get naps anymore. ugh

Pumped! Now I can gradually transition away from the arfcom cluster-f of condescension, served with a side of constant 1-upsmanship....love logging into that cruel mistress awkward face). Make me feel more badly that I can't afford the only gun that actually fires. (Noveske)

Breathe...I'm cool now. Can't wait to actually show you guys this 1st build of mine, get your thoughts and expertise.

Pumped! Now I can gradually transition away from the arfcom cluster-f of condescension, served with a side of constant 1-upsmanship....love logging into that cruel mistress awkward face). Make me feel more badly that I can't afford the only gun that actually fires. (Noveske)

Breathe...I'm cool now. Can't wait to actually show you guys this 1st build of mine, get your thoughts and expertise.

That's what drew me into this site. Friendly folk who love to be helpful. Then there's Tom.  <lmao>