• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Traveling with guns.

shibiwan

I'm planning to take a road trip with the wife/kids in about a week or two, to CA.... maybe NV.

Not sure about the laws in CA but was wondering if it was a good idea to take the handguns along just in case. If so, should I be dropping the standard mags for 10-rounders?

Thoughts?

I'm planning to take a road trip with the wife/kids in about a week or two, to CA.... maybe NV.

Not sure about the laws in CA but was wondering if it was a good idea to take the handguns along just in case. If so, should I be dropping the standard mags for 10-rounders?

Thoughts?

If driving through CA, handguns MUST be unloaded AND in a locked container (case, backpack, bag, ect) in the trunk (if vehicle has one). Don't bring the >10rnd mags.

Also, if you have a CCW, it isn't recognized here so you're not allowed to CC.

Edited by FaRKle!

Ammo and handgun are supposed to be locked in separate compartments. Most LE I have run into overlook the letter of the law on that one so long as you are making an attempt to transport the gun "safely". For that reason, I wouldn't worry much. Definitely leave anything larger than 10 rounds behind though.

Oh yeah, give us a message if you swing through SoCal.

Thanks for the tips. Anyone got P226 10-rounders to loan me. 

We're probably going across to San Diego, then heading north all the way up to Norcal (SF is probably the limit) in the urban assault vehicle (pictured below)

IMG_20140208_093931.jpg

We won't be making any hard and fast plans, just taking our time and going wherever we want to go. I'll definitely be online during the trip so you will likely see video of us getting pulled over for having firearms in the vehicle. My guess is that will likely happen in Oakland....LOL

BTW, does the locking center console/storage bin in the vehicle pass as a "locked container"?

BTW, does the locking center console/storage bin in the vehicle pass as a "locked container"?

The point of these laws/regulations is to ensure that the gun is not easily accessible. So no, you'd want your stuff (it looks like a van?) in with the spare tire and jack or something like that.

Speaking of the spare tire and jack, there's no explicit law against keeping the lug wrench within easy reach.

Let me know when you get to the bay area man!

I don't think the center console is an approved storage area since a locking glove compartment isn't approved for firearm storage.

That's what I was afraid of. No matter. Handgun safe's are reasonably priced.

Thanks for the tips. Anyone got P226 10-rounders to loan me. 

We're probably going across to San Diego, then heading north all the way up to Norcal (SF is probably the limit) in the urban assault vehicle (pictured below)

IMG_20140208_093931.jpg

We won't be making any hard and fast plans, just taking our time and going wherever we want to go. I'll definitely be online during the trip so you will likely see video of us getting pulled over for having firearms in the vehicle. My guess is that will likely happen in Oakland....LOL

P226?  9mm or 40S&W?  I know I have 40, but will have to check on the 9mm.

Edited by StainTrain

Even a cable lock through it while it's in a case would be plenty. Anything to make it difficult to access while driving. That's the main idea behind the law here. I don't foresee you being hassled even if it's unlocked in a case all the way at the rear of the van.