• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

rifle case

Cali_Ed

I use the soft-type cases for my rifles. Easy storage, easy transport. Though I've got the pelican for the MRAD (and you could be buried in that damn thing), it spends most of it's life in a soft case when stowed or being moved.

2nd the Drago bags. Every bit as good a voodoo bags. I've switched to them ever since my local pusher started....well....pushing them.

I looked at some voodoo stuff at my lgs, they looked a little busy with all kinds of pouches and zippers.

I looked into the pelican 1750 but that's 240 bucks. How easy/ hard is it to cut the foam? I don't have one of those turkey knifes I've seen people use.

I looked at some voodoo stuff at my lgs, they looked a little busy with all kinds of pouches and zippers.

How easy/ hard is it to cut the foam? I don't have one of those turkey knifes I've seen people use.

I just used a tomato knife

I've been to upholstery shops and what they recommend for consumers who want to upholster on their own is the 'turkey knife' which is electrically powered and uses two blades tight together that vibrate like what girls use when they're lonely.

The upholsterers themselves use custom-made units consisting of an electric 'Skil' saw or 'jigsaw' that holds two hacksaw blades together, and the sucker vibrates -- okay, I don't need trouble from the moderators, but it's like that.

The nice thing is, you can probably get that electric turkey cutter at thrift stores like Goodwill or St. Vincent DePaul, etc., for way, way cheap.

You'll want something like that because foam on the retail market is not cheap, and the foam itself is not 'forgiving' of bad cutting. Basically, you have one chance to do the cutting right.

P.S. What is a 'tomato knife'? Or is that some CIA thing?

Edited by gnatshooter

Some good info I guess I'll have to buy something like. Would a long razor type thing work?

The razor-type thing would need a blade as long as the thickness of the foam. Not sure what thickness of the foam you're working with, but it's likely that a 'box-cutter' is not enough. Sure, it would do the job, but the job would look like you did it with a box-cutter.

Any chance you could leave the foam 'as-is' and run that way?

I just got a 1750 for fathers day, lucky me, and have yet to cut it out because Im not sure what I want to use it for yet.  You have to cut them out or at least take a layer of foam out i tried closing it otherwise and I could stand on the thing and not get it to latch.  Im also looking into the hot knife/wire approach of cutting it as well for a cleaner looking cut.  Also check out some vids on plasticoating it afterwards.  Supposed to make it stronger so the corners of your cuts won't rip and keep everything more secure by reducing movement.

1750 here also,  You definaltey could be buried in the dam thing as stated above.  If you are any good with a CAD system or have a friend thats good at it some of these companies will custom cut your geometry right in the foam in any location you want. May be fairly easy if using common parts on your rifle as they may already have that layout.   I need to order some more foam for my case but havent yet....... $50-$75  yikes.

I gave up on using hard cases to transport my firearms. Cumbersome, bulky, and "low density." I now carry a Voodoo Tactical 42" double gun bag (which I can carry a max of 3 rifles plus 2 handguns) and a bail-out bag of ammo. My "regular" range load is 2 rifles plus one handgun.

The rifle bag can be "backpacked" easily over your back, sling the ammo bag, and you're good to go.

My hard cases are for storage. Check out the Plano AW Tactical series. You can find them for as low as $70-$80 if you look hard enough, and the quality is "good enough"

I have 1/2 dozen of the VooDoo cases - you'll like them.  Pelican cases can't be beat for durability and sealing, and the Plano AW case is a close runner-up for it.  The Plano might not be crush-proof, but it is damn tough and does seal really well.  It doesn't have a pressure relief valve like the Pelican cases do, but it's got a screw that you turn out to release pressure.  The Plano AW cases are very good cases, and less than 1/2 of what you'd pay for the Pelican versions. 

Condor's aren't bad (so to say). I've had them in the past. They're ok..........until you start ripping the zippers off of them. Keep in mind that they're Chinese made. That's when I switched to Voodoo/Drago. Those can't be beat. I've probably got about a half dozen of the Drago made bags that I use constantly. Also, not to sound like a broken record.........BDS makes outstanding gear all the way around....you just gotta be patient when you order.