• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So here is my range report!

Cali_Ed

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you guys are fantasy role players.  I get it. 

EXACTLY!!

That is of course if you consider running 200 yards, then rappeling down a 60' cliff, with each shooter locating a small target (usally a pair of eggs, pingpong balls, or some other small objects a couple hundred yards away) and setting up to shoot, with the requirement that both shooters must break their shots within two seconds of each other, then engaging two distant KD targets (usually one past 600 and one past 400, but still breaking the shots within two seconds of each other), then hopping into a gator and engaging 2/3 IPSC targets at close range on both sides while moving (this is where they call one of the rifles down, and because you are not allowed to sweep your muzzle across the gator, the shooters pass one rifle back and forth, and invariably they choose the gun running the 10X fixed power scope to keep in the game), then you are finally dropped off at a building that you must enter (it may be locked/baricaded, etc., and there may or may not be targets inside) and set-up inside to engage targets outside at varying distances to complete the course. This is all done while wearing tier one and two gear, and that is just the first morning's course.

Sometimes we get the chance to play the shooting version of Horse, but in a two man team style. This is the game where you watch the women smoke the men in overall shooting ability.

So yes, it is role playing: fun as hell roleplaying that has the tendency to increase your skills.

Edited by Owl21

So yes, it is role playing: fun as hell roleplaying that has the tendency to increase your skills.

"As you train, so you act."  All we do is combat training, no scoring, no standing in the box or be "DQ'ed", no lowest time.

So our club had a Turkey Shoot.  Kids' catagory and Adults' catagory, rimfire and centerfire, both handgun and rifle.  Very simple...whoever pops the most balloons with 10 rounds wins.

Not many kids shooting but the adults were almost all either former law enforcement or current competition shooters.  My daughter took half the prizes for the kids, I took half the prizes for the adults.

Lots of butthurt that day.

And now we don't have Turkey Shoots for prizes anymore.

EXACTLY!!

That is of course if you consider running 200 yards, then rappeling down a 60' cliff, with each shooter locating a small target (usally a pair of eggs, pingpong balls, or some other small objects a couple hundred yards away) and setting up to shoot, with the requirement that both shooters must break their shots within two seconds of each other, then engaging two distant KD targets (usually one past 600 and one past 400, but still breaking the shots within two seconds of each other), then hopping into a gator and engaging 2/3 IPSC targets at close range on both sides while moving (this is where they call one of the rifles down, and because you are not allowed to sweep your muzzle across the gator, the shooters pass one rifle back and forth, and invariably they choose the gun running the 10X fixed power scope to keep in the game), then you are finally dropped off at a building that you must enter (it may be locked/baricaded, etc., and there may or may not be targets inside) and set-up inside to engage targets outside at varying distances to complete the course. This is all done while wearing tier one and two gear, and that is just the first morning's course.

Sometimes we get the chance to play the shooting version of Horse, but in a two man team style. This is the game where you watch the women smoke the men in overall shooting ability.

what are your gamer tags? I want to get in on that one!

Lmao!!!!!

I think my next goal is to shoot at 200 after I tighten up my groups a bit more. Seems the 175s where a little tighter. The bipod preload was a huge help. Any other tips?

Assuming your avatar is a pic of you shooting...

Sit in the cutout portion of the bench if the table is long enough for you to still put the bipod on it. Then you can lean into the side of the bench for more stability. Also this will let you use your support hand to support the base of the stock for better elevation control (may want to use a rear sandbag too) and lock it into your shoulder better. Make sure both elbows are resting on the table and have your weight on them.

More points of contact and stability = good.

Edited by FaRKle!

That's definitely not me just some eye candy brother farkle. I do use a rear bag that I made out of 5lbs of rice and a beanie. I have started shouldering the rifle better as previously mentioned and that also helped. I only have one hand on the rifle which is the one I pull the trigger with. My other hand I rest underneath the rifle.

Edited by Cali_Ed

^ I'm thinking of selling my smart phone for ammo money haha, I'm not set up for reloading and I'm itching to shoot like 3 times a week. You know you go to the range a lot when all the workers know you

Edited by Cali_Ed

That's definitely not me just some eye candy brother farkle. I do use a rear bag that I made out of 5lbs of rice and a beanie. I have started shouldering the rifle better as previously mentioned and that also helped. I only have one hand on the rifle which is the one I pull the trigger with. My other hand I rest underneath the rifle.

This is how I picture Ed resting his butt on his bean..er rice bag.  <laughs>

sumo_blake2.jpg

Edited by shibiwan

Man , blink an eye & I had to read five pages & this thread went to  :cookoo:

Cali_ed , you can also shoot from prone position for better stability .

I wanna shoot prone but my range only has tables I want to make a trip out somewhere and do some prone shooting.