• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Shooting sticks for coyotes and etc.?

george_995

Looking for some insight on which shooting sticks to buy for coyote hunting and general. I have just made up my mind that sticks would be a good gear to aid in my coyote efforts. My sister has 40 acres up in North Florida and they have coyote problems, she says she has seen about a dozen at a time running across their property. I see them frequently up there also, some months back I saw three of them while walking my boxer at night(9pm. shined them w/ flashlight), they were about 30-40 yds spread out. My sister has small dogs, and a couple weeks back one of her miniature pinschers was being stalked by a coyote. My sis was outside ( about 4:30pm) with both of them and said she heard the one barking like crazy so she rounded the corner and saw angel barking at the coyote that was about 25yds away. Sis freaked, snatched the dogs up and ran inside. She called FWC (florida fish and wildlife conservation) they said she was very lucky her dog wasn't  taken before she got to it. I am going up there today. my BIL and I are going to set up this evening and scout things out a little(I have a dying rabbit call). Maybe kill some yotes with my maten 308. :banana:

Thanks guys.

Challenge yourself and use that predator call.

A .410 loaded with buck makes short order of a sub-60 lbs yote within 30 yards. Great for when around/near the house.

.22WMR will take the same dog out to 75 yards.

If you really want to use the maten, and you want to see hairy things become DEAD things, find some of those .308 sabots and load them with the Barnes Varmint Grenade. It probably won't cycle your rifle, but the red mist will make you happy.

my buddy and his dad like tactical toys, but when it comes to hunting they are all fudd guns and shooting sticks. if I remember right they just use shooters ridge sticks from cabellas. nothing fancy. no issues with them.

also...your little "problem" sounds like alot of fun. as robo says, good time to practice some calling skills in a target rich environment.

223/556 or 308 for long range 12 ga with OO buck for one that gets to close and a pred call let them come to you, make yourself a blind and wait they'll come running. I don't watch much hunting on outdoors channel or sportsman channel but I love watching them shoot yote's they come running in an blam!!!! Dead

I recommend this:

http://www.primos.com/products/trigger-sticks/jim-shockey-tall-tri-pod/

There is also a shorter version.  You can band them on your rifle and stalk with them, shoot with them banded or easily deploy them for a stabilized shot.  If you are so inclines you can utilize a SS Loophole sling made by the HOG SADDLE guys, which is the absolute best sling I have ever used while doing supported shooting.  

I run the HOG SADDLE as well with the 055 Carbon Fiber Tripod, with Mag Ball attachment and these are no where near as study as that, but you can make great shots with this at 1/7th the price.  Plus..even though the Hog Saddle/Tripod set up is light, it is still has some bulk you have to manage.  

I appreciate all the info. We were outside a most of the day walking the property and refilling some of the feeders that are setup. Went inside to get something to eat for a little bit, we were fixing to go back out at 6pm but heavy rains with lightning kept us inside. I figured so as we watched the skies, clouds rolled in before we headed for chow. All is good though, some good spots picked for setting up. My favorite being under a massive oak tree with palmetto scrub right next to the base of the tree. 

Going to use palmetto scrub fans to build the blind near that oak.(photobucket not working)

http://www.frauleindi.com/images/HHNature/saw_palmetto_thicket.jpg

I'd say about half of the property is cleared resembling cow pasture (without fence) and the back forty is heavily wooded. Trails are cut, but to pursue game you seriously need a machete. 

• 3 years later...

Here's a good idea I stole.

Less than 5$ and bam. A nice set of shooting sticks. If you have a shop of sorts you probably have the stuff laying around. 

1'x5/8"id braid hose. 2 36"x5/8"od dowels. 2 3" nails.

Between the 5"and 8" section of the hose.cut a section out of one side.leave the other for the hinge part/gun rest. Then pop the dowles in the section of the hose you cut.flip it over slap the nails in the end of the dowel to dig in the dirt.paint it and your done. I put tape over my hose because any paint I tried rubs off on my guns.

20171208_095807.jpg

15127575570041469031632.jpg

1512757609822555722968.jpg

if you can find some fiberglass rods in any diameter the will hold up for ever. i made some duck wind decoy rods in 5/8 and they are indestructible.. pounded threw 3" of ice repeatedly for several hunts.. takes some skill for the points but in dirt you could just sharpen the rods? my .02.

For buffalo shooting (steel targets mind you) we would just either stain the wood or use old leather glove fingers (cut off both ends to slide leather around dowel)  for the rifle rest...whichever one felt like doing.

And just drill a small hole through both sticks to place the brass pin for the pivot point/hinge area.....lots of ideas how to skin cats like this.

I have a Bog Pod RLD 2 , adj. Bipod sticks , I use them for both Rifle /Slug gun & Revolver for Hunting . I carry them strapped to my Back Pak , because I'm not always hunting from a Tree stand that has a Rifle rest on them . I like hunting from the Ground & the Sticks really help  for study shots & once you get used to them & how they are used , they are very fast to bare . My off had , be it with a long gun or Revolver holds the Sticks & Firearm together & I adj. the Sticks when I first set up , for the best all around height & make minor adj. to my Body to make the shot .