• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

There's gunsmiths and then there's gunbutchers!

392heminut

Although relatively new to the AR308 platform, I shot and competed with M1 and M14s for over 25 years. I can tell you from experience that level of poor work is, unfortunately, commonplace with Garands and M14s. And it's often from hacks who advertise nationally that they are "experts" (quality M1/M14 gunsmiths are RARE).

The best advice I can give is to ask before you allot work what their policy is for unsatisfactory work.

So many guns come our shop which have been F*cked up by Gunsmiths..Also a lot of Guns come in for Gun shop that need to be fixed after the owner have butchered them. I am thinking its more common than anyone likes to admit ! But giving it back to a customer not fixed is a crime ! We just take a long time, but the work is done right !

I have done a dozen M1 Carbines restorations this year and they all look like new and shoot great !

That's truly horrible...on many levels.  His buddy took that back?!  I would have demanded a new rifle.

Wow.  "I took welding in highschool shop, for half a semester before getting kicked out for smoking pot and drinking beer on campus.  That means I'm a gunsmith!"

I shouldn't say that.  Stoners create more quality foil pipes than that so-called gunsmithing job.

While I've not seen anything that shoddy locally, a local store...Black Weapons Armory...is garnering quite the reputation for incompetent and incompleted work on ARs, keeping rifles for half a year, etc.

Back in the day, when I had a retail shop, and did general gunsmithing, Whenever I had to outsource something, I sent one of my own guns first.

I was doing a lot of 1911  work, as well as custom long guns.   Numerous places that needed heli-arcing.

Its suprising how many "certified" welders couldn't do a decent job on guns!

I took one gun to six different welders.  The seventh was able to fix the stuff the other six botched. 

even in the mid 70's I was paying him $100 an hour,$100 minimum.    He was worth every penny!

Always ask to see a sample of the work, first!

Respectfully

Terry

What is the shops Guarentee policy?

I once replced a contender bbl for a customer.   He's asked me to re-chamber a 357 bbl to 357-44 Bain and Davis,  The reamer left a small "nick" in the vey rear of the bbl.    of no mechanical meaning, but the customer didnt like "the look".

Again, ask the stores policy.

Respectfully

Terry

Wow.  "I took welding in highschool shop, for half a semester before getting kicked out for smoking pot and drinking beer on campus.  That means I'm a gunsmith!"

I shouldn't say that.  Stoners create more quality foil pipes than that so-called gunsmithing job.

Hey, that butchered up AR isn't totally wasted. It can now be used as a bong!  <lmao>  <laughs>

Edited by shibiwan

I read all the comments and it looks like they are meeting up tonight to discuss what's going to be done at the shop. Definately curious on what's going to happen with this one...

Should have never left the shop & given back to the owner in that condition. Never !

If they don't replace that barrel assembly at no cost to the customer , the customer should lawyer up.

To me , I think it can still be a hoax .

Update;

icon1.png Re: Friend's rifle was butchered at local shop....

Good news! My buddy met with the owner of the shop and the armorer and they agreed to replace of the parts and refund the money. The armorer was very apologetic and said he has since met with another gunsmith to learn more about proper procedures. They're suppose to order parts tomorrow. I'll update everyone once everything is in and the deal has been completed.

From what my buddy told me, they're new, good quality parts. It'll be a Daniel Defense barrel rather than a BCM which my buddy is fine with.

Edited by survivalshop