• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Who makes the best of the best 16” barrel 308AR???

Leadshot

I don’t get all these replies, but the reason I wanted a piston 308AR/308/7.62  is because of all the articles I seen and read about how long they can run with out a malfunction, just seems to be more dependable and adjustable? I don't have the luxury of buying then change what I don't like. 

I guess my short list would be,

308/7.62

16” barrel

Full length, full float, hand guard, monolith rail, very smooth on sides/bottom as not to snag sliding on a post or fench

Rail grip w/tripod

Green furniture, like the older Armalites

Sniper collapsible stock

Piston operated

Great trigger (two stage)?

Accuracy

Quality

After market accessories

Affordability

Reliability

Length between cleaning

Warranty

Price

Do you already own a black rifle in 5.56?  

What experience do you have shooting?  

What do you consider affordable?  

What is your intended use for this rifle?

What is your reliability expectation?  You keep bringing that up as a concern for Piston System?

Edited by StainTrain

Don't get hung up on the piston thing. I have a Sig P716 piston gun and an Armalite AR-10 DI gun. The Sig is not that much cleaner, only real difference is inside the carrier and part of the bolt doesn't get caked on carbon, there is still plenty of powder residue to clean, the piston at the gas block is every bit as dirty as as the bolt on my AR-10. The kicker is 3,000+ rounds from the Armalite and I can't recall any malfunctions even with crap remanufactured ammo that was splitting case necks. Maybe 300 rounds or so in the Sig and it has had three double feeds, this may just be break-in blues. The Armalite is far more accurate but then they are two very different guns with very different purposes.

If my Mother told me to get her a rifle it would be an ArmaLite.............

No, I don't have a black rifle. Ruger Mini 14

I used a Armalite AR10T older style for a while

I have a lot experience shooting shotgun/pistol. I've done pretty good at rifle, just never did it on a regular basics

Around $3000.00

Just a Toy

Just seems all the articles I've read, is the piston guns are the best thing out there. They stay cleaner, more reliable, etc;

I still have half of case of the black hills match ammo. Black Hills match, moly coated, 168 grain, boat tail, hollow point. 

Just seems all the articles I've read, is the piston guns are the best thing out there. They stay cleaner, more reliable, etc;

Best thing out there? A subjective statement at best. The writers tend to write about new products, piston guns are the new guy on the market so they get the attention. How many articles have you seen the weapon in question called a peice of crap? ??? well maybe the Remington R51...........

Piston guns have their place, sounds like you have a place for one if it will just be a toy and you don't plan on doing any modifications.

You should be able to get a top line piston weapon for $3,000.....you could easily buy all the tools and get top of the line parts to make your own gas gun for that same money.....just a thought.

I don't know about the California approved models....but do I really need to say?

My tag line says it all.

Now that being said. My beloved Armalite seems to be slowly moving away from their AR-10B model (the ones I have) more and more.

Ya , all they need for it to be an DPMS now is get rid of that funny way the rear of the Receiver mate !   <laughs>

If you like your Mini 14 , just go out & get a tricked out M1A , its piston , 7.62x51 & reliable & in your price range  <dontknow>

Edited by survivalshop

I have one chance to buy a 308AR and in need of much help.  :help:

Who makes the best of the best 16” barrel 308AR, California approved, details please, considering the following:

Accuracy

Quality

After market accessories

Affordability

Reliability

Piston or not?

Length between cleaning\

Warranty (high quality manufacture)

Price

:)

Parameters set.

I don't have the luxury of buying then change what I don't like. 

I guess my short list would be,

308/7.62

16” barrel

Full length, full float, hand guard, monolith rail, very smooth on sides/bottom as not to snag sliding on a post or fench

Rail grip w/tripod

Green furniture, like the older Armalites

Sniper collapsible stock

Piston operated

Great trigger (two stage)?

Accuracy

Quality

After market accessories

Affordability

Reliability

Length between cleaning

Warranty

Price

More parameters added, and the last one will get you, especially after your first set of parameters.

You want the best you can get, no matter what?  LaRue.  Period.

1. "The LaRue PredatOBR would've likely been the rifle I ordered if I didn't build my own. "

^^^ This!

2.  If it's just a "$3000 toy" for you, then please let someone else buy that LaRue.

3.  Thank you to almost everyone on this forum for being so kind to me when I sounded like Leadshot

4.  WTF is a "Sniper collapsible stock"?

Larue, Gap and JP all have very high accuracy right out of the box along with a very high price tag.  Your question is pretty subjective... I mean most average guns shoot better than we can handle however, nothing wrong with having the best if you can afford it.  I think all these rifles run in the $3500+ mark without a scope/bipod. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think we may be overlooking one important choice here.  As far as "I" am concerned, I build the very best 308 caliber AR style rifle on the planet.  I will maintain that belief at least until I actually get to shoot it.   Then maybe not so much.  Not long now.  Took a part time job (yeah, I know) in a gun store to finish mine quicker.  Gun store with no AR 308 style parts.  None!!!!!