• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Texas open carry law info

mrmackc

Legislative Session: 84(R)
House Bill 910
House Author: Phillips et al.
Effective: See below Senate Sponsor: Estes et al.

Previous law provided for a licensing scheme to carry a concealed handgun under certain circumstances. House Bill 910 amends the Alcoholic Beverage Code, Code of Criminal Procedure, Education Code, Election Code, Family Code, Government Code, Health and Safety Code, Labor Code, Local Government Code, Occupations Code, Parks and Wildlife Code, and Penal Code to authorize a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun. The bill decreases the penalty for a license holder trespassing with a concealed handgun to a Class C misdemeanor and creates a Class C misdemeanor offense for a license holder trespassing with an openly carried handgun. The penalty for these trespassing offenses is enhanced to a Class A misdemeanor if the trespasser ignores verbal notice that the person may not enter or remain on the property with a handgun. The bill makes it a Class A misdemeanor offense for a handgun license holder to carry a partially or wholly visible handgun on or about the license holder’s person and intentionally display the handgun in plain view of another person on the premises or certain streets, walkways, driveways, or parking areas of a public, private, or independent institution of higher education.
House Bill 910 takes effect January 1, 2016, except that the provision set to expire on September 1, 2019, relating to the fee for a mental health background check for a license to carry a handgun takes effect September 1, 2015, and an identical provision takes effect September 1, 2019. 

• shepp pinned this topic

HEB, Tom Thumb, and Randalls are all banning open carry but not concealed carry.

http://m.mysanantonio.com/business/article/H-E-B-bans-open-carry-in-at-least-some-stores-6719924.php

Kroger refuses to ban it though.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/27/h-e-b-grocery-forbids-open-carry-handguns-texas-kroger-embraces/

Any other places made public one way or the other?

Yes, Texas is actually a heavily-regulated State.  Has been basically since it all got started at the close of the Civil War.  We need to pass Constitutional carry as soon as possible and without regard to open or concealed.

As for HEB, Tom Thumb, and Randalls, I never shop at these places anyways.  We don't have Tom Thumbs here in the Gulf Coast area that I have seen but we do have HEB and Randall's.  I refuse to shop at theses 2 places unless it is absolutely necessary.  Randall's has always had high prices and hasn't always closed their stores for holidays.  HEB supports illegal immigration and supported the DREAM Act, neither of which I feel is in the best interests of Texas, and the rest of the nation IMHO.

For several years now, I've been paying real close attention to which big business supports who.  I don't want to support liberals in any manner whatsoever, and if you have the 30.06 sign posted on the premises I will only enter there if I need to hit the throne real, real bad.

Edited by GRA

So they actually call the sign that tells you not to carry a 30-06??? Does that mean taking in a 30-06 is OK???? Irony, sometimes not so funny.......

30.06 is, (not so) coincidentally, the statute number that allows businesses to fobid concealed carry. It must be posted outside in a specific manner to be valid.  To forbid open carry,  it is 30.07.

• 7 months later...

There's not that many rules and regulations as one may think..... common sense and responsible Texans have shown, that we are capable of getting our rights back, that had been taken away... You only have to go back to 1985 to see that... It was up to the police officer to arrest or not arrest if he pulled your car over, and saw your gun...and I don't know of many Texans, that did not carry a gun in their car then. They still carry them no matter what the rules, or what kind of license they are supposed to have... So nothing has changed except laws.

• 2 months later...

We could be in a more happy mode if DJT wins today, and otherwise I'll be investing in powder, ball and flints and a reloader for 7.62X51NATO,  5.56NATO  and .45ACP. 

Anyone have negative vibes about a Lee Challenge Kit?

I used a Herters/RCBS setup in the long ago.

How long ago since there has been a  Herters super dupper, superior, magnificent,  reloader sold?

2 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Anyone have negative vibes about a Lee Challenge Kit?

Nope.  That is what I bought for students to use when teaching reloading.  Mongo durable, quick-change die holders:  set it and forget it!

The kit comes with the scale and either a hand primer or a press primer.  Get the hand primer kit. (unless they've changed it)

5 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Nope.  That is what I bought for students to use when teaching reloading.  Mongo durable, quick-change die holders:  set it and forget it!

The kit comes with the scale and either a hand primer or a press primer.  Get the hand primer kit. (unless they've changed it)

So you like the hand primer better? I've never used the hand primer just the little primer arm on the press.

5 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Is this the one?  Lee Ergo-Prime tool.

• 2 years later...

WOW,  I've enjoyed this information.  Thanks folks.  HEB??  Randalls??  Chain stores I assume in Texas.  I will not support any infringement of 2nd amendment,  including my interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.  As to the Lee products,  I've just now gathered my Lee Classic Turret press out of the inner sanctum.  It has been sitting there for so long the dust has dust,  the auto prime box has yellowed tape that has never been opened.  Say plane flyer I noticed the teacher note in your post,  where's the best place to learn re-loading?  Or should I grunt my way through the process with use of books.

For me,I used YouTube to get the basics and procedure down then reloading books and bullet manufacture's sites for specific values. 

I have the Lee Classic Turret and it's been a great press for me. Not sure what you plan on reloading but I suggest starting with an easy cartridge ( straight wall pistol) to start with and get a feel for set up and cycling through the steps.

A ridged bench to bolt to and good light,especially to look into and see powder in case goes along way.  

Might I suggest starting a new thread with a more appropriate subject tittle, as it's more likely the guys on here with way more reloading knowledge/experience here might see it and help educate the two of us.

20 hours ago, mrmackc said:

To be honest till now I'd never seen let alone heard of Sweet Sue Canned Chicken. Is eating a whole can a hazing thing? 'cause eating a whole BBQ chicken is doable.