• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Changing Gas Rings... How Often?

mineralman55

Shooting buddy had to replace his in a daniels after 3k rnds all mine have been going strong for over 5-6k rnds but being such a cheep small part i should pick up some spares just incase? I had to replace my trigger in my pre ban oly but rings are solid. Bought used 20 years ago from a guy that was cutting trees in half with a diferent trigger ? ( rnd count??)

I have the same everything in my Oly. pre ban, but the upper receiver , I put a TM on it for a scope , but no problems with the Gas rings & I built the rifle around 1979-80. I think the test is , when clean , push the Bolt into the Bot Carrier & flip it to post down & if it stays the Gas Rings are good .  I can't think of any AR I have owned has ever needed new Gas Rings  , thats including Select Fire M16's .?

Edited by survivalshop

I believe that according to the TM, you are to fully extend the bolt and then place the BCG with the bolt face on a flat surface. If the bolt remains extended the rings are good. If the bolt slides back into the BCG when placed on the flat surface, it is now time to replace the rings. 

I believe that according to the TM, you are to fully extend the bolt and then place the BCG with the bolt face on a flat surface. If the bolt remains extended the rings are good. If the bolt slides back into the BCG when placed on the flat surface, it is now time to replace the rings. 

That is how I was taught. Had an M-16 in the service that needed rings, who knows how many rounds that Vietnam era rifle had fired though.

• 2 months later...

I bought a Ballistics Advantage BCG to compliment one of their 18" SS barrels but they don't offer replacement parts for their BCG's. I wonder if a spare set for another brand BCG would work just as well, if they day were to ever come that the originals needed to be replaced? I hope I never have to shoot it that much/can't afford all the ammo haha

3 hours ago, Frankh252 said:

I bought a Ballistics Advantage BCG to compliment one of their 18" SS barrels but they don't offer replacement parts for their BCG's. I wonder if a spare set for another brand BCG would work just as well, if they day were to ever come that the originals needed to be replaced? I hope I never have to shoot it that much/can't afford all the ammo haha

If they made the Bolt so that only their proprietary parts would fit it & not make any replacements , why would anyone purchase their product . Should use std Gas rings or the Mcfarlin type , be it a 5.56 or 308 .

If I remember right,  the "ring check" according to the TM was just to remove the cam pin and hold the carrier with the bolt facing down. If it falls out, you might need rings. I've seen old beaters that failed that test and still ran fine though. The rings I replaced looked like they were hit with a welder. Blue and melted around the gap. The gun still ran though

9 hours ago, survivalshop said:

If they made the Bolt so that only their proprietary parts would fit it & not make any replacements , why would anyone purchase their product . Should use std Gas rings or the Mcfarlin type , be it a 5.56 or 308 .

This one is a .308 and I am assuming std parts will fit it.

Or, Ballistic Advantage BCG's are just so good they don't need to offer replacement parts...yeah, I'll go with that haha

• 2 years later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 12:49 AM, Malig8r said:

how I was taught

On 2/17/2016 at 7:49 AM, mineralman55 said:

How often do you AR15 shooters need to change out the gas rings? I've had to change mine out twice now, each time after probably 1000-1500 rounds. I shoot 77 and 69 grainers, and I don't load hot. Clean and lube the rifle after each session so it's not neglect. Is this normal?

Does the appearance of the rings (being burnt or discolored) indicate when to change the gas rings or do you use the TM test to decide if the rings should be replaced ?

I figure that if the sealing edges remain shiny, making contact 360 degrees, they should be good to go

Trooper, I see and understand your reasoning there but don't quite connect with falling screaming to certain death whilst also shatting your BVDs, (fuckkedd up rope)to a simple f2f, or f2 chamber a measley.223 round (messed up gas rings,that aren't absolutely a critical part of a midget rifle). LOL BTW, don't take this old fart too seriously....

After all my go to rifle in a SHTF situation is a .3006 home built custom Springfield 1903A3 with a Weaver K4 scope sight!

8 hours ago, mrmackc said:

After all my go to rifle in a SHTF situation is a .3006 home built custom Springfield 1903A3 with a Weaver K4 scope sight!

Sounds very familiar, Mack.  Here's mine - 1903A4 with a Weaver K4.  :thumbup:

P1060779.thumb.JPG.73a5a7a0a0e212ddad882ef3d3c29c92.JPG

Are you POSITIVE that I'm not your illegitimate son?...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Trooper, I see and understand your reasoning there but don't quite connect with falling screaming to certain death whilst also shatting your BVDs, (fuckkedd up rope)to a simple f2f, or f2 chamber a measley.223 round (messed up gas rings,that aren't absolutely a critical part of a midget rifle). LOL BTW, don't take this old fart too seriously....

lol. yeah I might have over exaggerated. I was just trying to do a comparison that shows wear can lead to failure... guess I shouldn't have used on that would lead to death. haha. 

Ok, try again... if the tread on your tires is getting low and showing wear, you might be able to drive hundreds or even thousands of miles on it. but there is also the chance you could get a flat tire easier. Better comparison? lol.

10 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

lol. yeah I might have over exaggerated. I was just trying to do a comparison that shows wear can lead to failure... guess I shouldn't have used on that would lead to death. haha. 

Ok, try again... if the tread on your tires is getting low and showing wear, you might be able to drive hundreds or even thousands of miles on it. but there is also the chance you could get a flat tire easier. Better comparison? lol.

Got it now, yep that sounds more reasonable, have a safe work shift and watch out for the crazies!

• 4 months later...

Every few thousand rounds seems fairly frequent, but it certainly won't hurt. Some manufacturer's have different specs. I built an AR-308 rifle w/ all JP internals that I ended up selling before I even fired it, but there was a blurb in some of the paperwork that came with it saying it wouldn't pass the standard gas ring check, and then went on to explain why. Can't remember exactly the reason.