• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bug Out Backpack

mineralman55

3 hours ago, Magwa said:

yeah ones like that use a magnesium bar or something similar that you use the flint on a true flint and steel is just that a piece of steel and a rock (flint) but with a true flint and steel tinder or charred cloth of some type must be used to catch a spark it is a harder way to make a fire... leaning the hand drill or bow drill is a excellent skill to have...

Magnifying glass is so much easier ! Lol 

I have a couple of flint &steel setups, real pita !

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Magnifying glass is so much easier ! Lol 

I have a couple of flint &steel setups, real pita !

Magnifying glass is Okay except for at night, or being under a canopy of tree leaves, in a cave, under heavy cloud cover, etc.,etc.

I figure I'm too old to "Bug out or Bug about" so my plan is to hunkerdown, as I'm already living in my bugout place. but I do have a small haversack packed to take to the range or to the woods.  A pint of 180 proof grain Everclear will come in handy if you are having a bad day, it will clean your glasses, numb the pain, disinfect a wound, and use to fuel a small fire, or make you forget........

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

Magnifying glass is Okay except for at night, or being under a canopy of tree leaves, in a cave, under heavy cloud cover, etc.,etc.

That Everclear will light up the night with any spark !

I have an awesome way to light a fire.... Of course I will not tell you guys now. I will show the guys at the camp out. The story should be good. And I won't cheat like I did when I won at the Boy Scout's leadership camp (white gas in a mini liquor bottle).

Hint : 2.2 million volts

2 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

That Everclear will light up the night with any spark !

I have an awesome way to light a fire.... Of course I will not tell you guys now. I will show the guys at the camp out. The story should be good. And I won't cheat like I did when I won at the Boy Scout's leadership camp (white gas in a mini liquor bottle).

Hint : 2.2 million volts

9 volt batt and steal wool 

3 minutes ago, Magwa said:

a nine volt and steel wool works awesome so,, I can make a fire with a babe ruth candy bar and a empty coke can , can you figure out how without looking it up ?

Did the bow drill once it was pretty hard to figure out. Tinder can be hard to find where i camp. The rod is the fastest ive encountered. Also use a broken scope lense if i have enough sun. 

I think ive seen the candy bar can but am curious about how a babe ruth lights up? 

Dam doritos are great for starting fire!

1 hour ago, Magwa said:

Ok here are my main fire making supplies, if you have any questions just ask....

DSC03439 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

What is all the stuff to the right of the flint and steel? 

1 hour ago, sketch said:

Did the bow drill once it was pretty hard to figure out. Tinder can be hard to find where i camp. The rod is the fastest ive encountered. Also use a broken scope lense if i have enough sun. 

I think ive seen the candy bar can but am curious about how a babe ruth lights up? 

Dam doritos are great for starting fire!

Boss is a firefighter said if you ever wanna burn your house down ignite a bag of potatoe chips you won't need to soak it in gas

54 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

No Bic? Seriously, I have some of that kit for back up but I keep Bic lighters in every bag, case, and car I own.

Me too doesn't hurt and every year I go deer hunting I fuel up the zippo 

Ok not sure of where right of flint and steel is so I will name all the stuff starting from left to right....

bowdrill,bow,2 fire boards spindle,anchor rock, chagga fungus(best fire tender in the world) a piece of rawhide to catch the coal from the fire board,two tinder bundles one of cedar,bark and one of shavings,a round tin to carry tender in. 3 hand drills 2 with fire boards, just to the right of them two fire pistons these are awesome and can ignite a lot of    different tenders ,to their right is a replica of a Hudsons bay fire tin complete with Magnifying glass and  the round piece in the tin is a cover for the glass. coming down from that is a round tin with a hole in it for making char cloth,and bottom right are 5 fire strikers and a couple pieces of flint 

DSC03439 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

I'm too lazy , Bic & Magnesium fire starter tool , has alway worked for me . The only thing about the Bic lighter is ,if it gets too cold , you will need to put it next to your body to warm it up to work . My friends & my wife used to think I was nuts when I would go out & camp overnight when the weather got near zero , with only what i had on my back . I actually got some to come along with me . There were not into a second trip .:lmao:

4 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I'm too lazy , Bic & Magnesium fire starter tool , has alway worked for me . The only thing about the Bic lighter is ,if it gets too cold , you will need to put it next to your body to warm it up to work . My friends & my wife used to think I was nuts when I would go out & camp overnight when the weather got near zero , with only what i had on my back . I actually got some to come along with me . There were not into a second trip .:lmao:

Climbing mountains or sleeping in a snowcave would freak some people out ! Lol !

5 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Used to know someone who did this every winter can't think who off hand. 

Also the two older guys of my deer hunting group used to tent camp for gun deer in Northern wisc, 70's-80's. they got some wild stories used to set up tents in a balsum grove. 

12 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

I ordered a 5.11 72 Rush backpack in black. Very good reviews, plenty of room, and 5.11 had a website sale that was ~10% less than Amazon Prime, and with free shipping! Couldn't beat that with a stick.

Nice keep us posted when it shows up?

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

It arrived. Man, this thing is big. Well made, strong zippers, lots of pockets. It will fit a 16" upper and lower, but just barely. I really don't like the compression straps on the sides. You have to unbuckle them in order to fully open the main pocket. I guess I can live with that.

rush72_1.jpg

rush72_2.jpg

Seems a pistol build is in your back pack future?! The straps keep your shits tight while on long hikes. Reduces wear and tear on body and mind. Good looking pack bro! What else are you gonna put in it? Ammo..