• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA releases the Gen2 PA10

PSAPA10

Don't tell the wife! She's getting this for her birthday..... Any one got a comment on why so reasonable? This should be as sweet as my other 18" S.S. since i have a great working PSA10 Lower. What say yee??

PSA GEN2 PA10 18" RIFLE LENGTH CHF 308 WIN 1:12 15" MI SSK15 - WITH NIB BCG AND CHARGING HANDLE - 77932896

IN STOCK

$ 1299.99

$ 599.99

psa_4701.jpg

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any thing bad here? Looks all good or is the extra thick chrome a neg?

PSA Gen 2 PA10 18" Rifle Length CHF 308 WIN 1:12 15" MI SSK15 - with NiB BCG and Charging Handle - 77932896

New and improved Palmetto State Armory PA10 Gen2 308 Upper is fully assembled and ready for your complete PA10 Gen2 Lower!

With streamlined styling and improved function, the new and improved PSA PA10 is here.  The Gen2 model offers an enhanced chamber and extraction, with a more modern appearance.  

Barrel: 18" Cold Hammer-Forged, Chrome-lined, Chrome Moly Vanadium. Barrel is made for Palmetto State Armory by FN Manufacturing using their proprietary blend of hammer forged chrome molly vanadium that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability.  Chambered in 7.62 x 51 NATO, with a 1:12 twist, tapered bore, and a rifle-length gas system. The barrel is finished off with a Midwest Industries SSK Series 15" 308 Keymod Rail, .750 low profile gas block, and A2-style flash hider. 

Upper:  Precision machined from forged 7075-T6 aluminum, then Black anodize hardcoated to MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2.   Upper features a forward assist and ejection port cover. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.

Bolt Carrier Group:  PA-10 Nickel Boron bolt carrier group.   9310 steel Nickel Boron coated  bolt, 8620 Nickel Boron coated steel Carrier, Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications, Fastened with Grade 8 screws, and Staked Per Mil-Spec.  Includes charging handle.

• 7075-T6 Forged aluminum receiver
  • 18" CHF Chrome lined barrel
  • 7.62x51 NATO Chamber
  • 1 in 12 twist rate
  • Rifle-length Gas system
  • 15" free float MI SSK keymod rail
  • low profile gas block
  • A2-style muzzle device
  • 5/8-24 muzzle thread
  • PA10 NiB BCG
  • PA10 Charging handle

42 minutes ago, MacScott56 said:

I understand the measurements, what baffles me is why would the Gen 1 version use the low DPMS style and the Gen 2, which I measured to be 0.200" be the high DPMS style. Do you know which style came out first, low or high style?

Not to beat a dead horse, but not much has seemed to make sense with PSA and their .308AR

2 hours ago, MacScott56 said:

I understand the measurements, what baffles me is why would the Gen 1 version use the low DPMS style and the Gen 2, which I measured to be 0.200" be the high DPMS style. Do you know which style came out first, low or high style?

High version , pre 2009 , low version post 2009 , as far as DPMS LR 308's are concerned . Why PSA went to the older rail height of the DPMS LR 308 , is anyones guess .

I know when DPMS did it in 2009 , a bunch of manufacturers were real slow to make Hand Guards with the newer lower rail height . It is said it was to co witness the Iron Sights like the AR 15 , because the Pre 2009 rear sight was a little higher , because of the rail height& some had issues with sighting them in & they needed a taller front sight post .

Any more , you can find both rail heights in Hand Guards . Now , what I don't know is if PSA will match up to anyone else's , some of their stuff has been proprietary .

13 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

High version , pre 2009 , low version post 2009 , as far as DPMS LR 308's are concerned . Why PSA went to the older rail height of the DPMS LR 308 , is anyones guess .

I know when DPMS did it in 2009 , a bunch of manufacturers were real slow to make Hand Guards with the newer lower rail height . It is said it was to co witness the Iron Sights like the AR 15 , because the Pre 2009 rear sight was a little higher , because of the rail height& some had issues with sighting them in & they needed a taller front sight post .

Any more , you can find both rail heights in Hand Guards . Now , what I don't know is if PSA will match up to anyone else's , some of their stuff has been proprietary .

I know Midwest Industries matches up. MI is the rail PMA uses in most of their online pictures of the their Gen 2 upper. I guess I'll do the try the high style and if it doesn't lineup then exchange it for the low style.  I'm sure there will be no issues...:liar:

• 3 weeks later...

Followup.  I picked up the Gen2 complete lower and the gen 2 upper:

PSA Gen 2 PA10 18" Rifle Length CHF 308 WIN 1:12 15" MI SSK15 - with NiB BCG and Charging Handle - 77932896

Finally got a chance to get it out to the range. Only got about 25 rounds through it but it definitely shows potential.

So far 100% function, very consistent ejection. I used 180grain win (wanted to push the boundaries of the 1:12) and 175 Fed GMM.  The attached image is of 5 rounds of the GMM.  The win shot about a 2" group. 

The 1 and only complaint so far....the trigger is horrible. Well, I guess I should say it's pretty on par for a gun of this cost. However I know for a fact that trigger kept me from a better group.  So now...off to find out of the Geissele actually fits this lower without modification. I know there were issues with gen 1 originally. But a new trigger and I'm going to be super happy with this gun.  I have no doubt this will be about a 3/4" shooting barrel which I'm MORE than happy with.

Was using a 4-16 Vortex Viper PST at 100 yards

IMG_20170219_142258.jpg

I might just try the Larue I've heard good things about it.  I LOVE my SSA-Es but even if I don't like the Larue as much I've got some other rifles it can be moved to.  So I have confirmed that the GEN2's lowers should be fine with all drop in triggers.  I'm going to try to swap in one of my SSA-Es to see.

4 hours ago, jrf said:

Followup.  I picked up the Gen2 complete lower and the gen 2 upper:

Finally got a chance to get it out to the range. Only got about 25 rounds through it but it definitely shows potential.

So far 100% function, very consistent ejection. I used 180grain win (wanted to push the boundaries of the 1:12) and 175 Fed GMM.  The attached image is of 5 rounds of the GMM.  The win shot about a 2" group. 

The 1 and only complaint so far....the trigger is horrible. Well, I guess I should say it's pretty on par for a gun of this cost. However I know for a fact that trigger kept me from a better group.  So now...off to find out of the Geissele actually fits this lower without modification. I know there were issues with gen 1 originally. But a new trigger and I'm going to be super happy with this gun.  I have no doubt this will be about a 3/4" shooting barrel which I'm MORE than happy with.

Was using a 4-16 Vortex Viper PST at 100 yards

IMG_20170219_142258.jpg

1-12 twist rate , interesting .

How come no rifle photo's , we need our fixes too! :laffs:

Edited by survivalshop

42 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

1-12 twist rate , interesting .

The 180s shot a 2.25" group.  Again. I know it was more me than the gun. Especially with that trigger. Did I mention how heavy and gritty it is? I was just hoping that the 175s would stabilize enough in this barrel and it looks like it will be GTG.  Once I get some ammo made and get it figured out I'll stretch it out and see how it goes. 

No photos of the rifle...but I promise you it looks EXACTLY like the photos on PSAs site. :cool:  I'll get some the next time I take it out.

On 2/20/2017 at 2:17 PM, jrf said:

The 180s shot a 2.25" group.  Again. I know it was more me than the gun. Especially with that trigger. Did I mention how heavy and gritty it is? I was just hoping that the 175s would stabilize enough in this barrel and it looks like it will be GTG.  Once I get some ammo made and get it figured out I'll stretch it out and see how it goes. 

No photos of the rifle...but I promise you it looks EXACTLY like the photos on PSAs site. :cool:  I'll get some the next time I take it out.

Glad to hear it fires, I got one like yours but haven't used it yet. was a bit concerned about the heavy double chrome and 308 isn't anywhere on the upper? made by FN is a plus. This one is almost a lb lighter than the S.S. which I purchased first with their lower. It will group as good with Hunting ammo Prvi Partizan PPU .308 150 grn SP. I must have gotten lucky with my trigger in the Gen 2 lower when they first listed $199.00 shipped and its the best one I have ever squeezed, smooth and surprises every time.

On 2/21/2017 at 6:37 PM, Reg said:

Glad to hear it fires, I got one like yours but haven't used it yet. was a bit concerned about the heavy double chrome and 308 isn't anywhere on the upper? made by FN is a plus. This one is almost a lb lighter than the S.S. which I purchased first with their lower. It will group as good with Hunting ammo Prvi Partizan PPU .308 150 grn SP. I must have gotten lucky with my trigger in the Gen 2 lower when they first listed $199.00 shipped and its the best one I have ever squeezed, smooth and surprises every time.

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the SS upper?  

I'm pretty sure my barrel has 308 on it.... I'll have to check.

On 2/22/2017 at 6:44 PM, jrf said:

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the SS upper?  

I'm pretty sure my barrel has 308 on it.... I'll have to check.

Bench rest 100 yd S.S. 18" barrel  with time to cool, all hunt ammo S.P. FED POWER SHOK 180gr 3 shot group all touching, HORN AMERICAN Whitetail 150 gr almost as good. 2nd time I went to the range with Prvi Partizan PPU .308 150 grn SP Same 100 yds bench rest 5 shot also almost touching but better conditions, barrel was cleaned' broken in a bit. Scope is a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44  with Primary arms ext cantilever mount. I still can't find 308 or anything on the last barrel or upper anywhere! I called to verify and was told by someone asking someone that they all were 308 chambers. Well we will see? on the ad it doesn't say 308 other than the description. On the S.s they say in features that it has a 308 chamber our CHF it says 7.62x51....   

On 2/21/2017 at 6:37 PM, Reg said:

was a bit concerned about the heavy double chrome and 308 isn't anywhere on the upper? made by FN is a plus. 

Found the stamp. It's 7.62 NATO stamped 1:12.  Look right behind the gas block on the top of the barrel. It's REALLY hard to see but it's there on mine.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:24 AM, jrf said:

Found the stamp. It's 7.62 NATO stamped 1:12.  Look right behind the gas block on the top of the barrel. It's REALLY hard to see but it's there on mine.

That kinda concerns me, the S.S one i got first says PA10 308. Or am i worrying about nothing? I don't own any NATO rounds.  

7 hours ago, Reg said:

That kinda concerns me, the S.S one i got first says PA10 308. Or am i worrying about nothing? I don't own any NATO rounds.  

Plenty of articles about using what in what , as far as 308 vs 7.62x51 . Your 1-12 BBL. will more then likely prefer ammo with heavier bullets , then the 147-149 gr. that will come with a Nato load , but you won't know that till you try a few different loaded bullet weights . Shoot what ever you want or the rifle likes .

I did a lot of reading about this. Very long story short. It's worth checking your chamber. Mine was well within tolerances for 308.  I've now shot about 50 rounds 308 through it. The 1:12 twist barrel stabilized 175 and 180 grain bullets out to 100 yards.  The 175 SMK Federal Gold Metal Match ammo left touching holes at 100 yards. Better than I expected.