• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I'm Blaming Y'all for This...

COBrien

Alright, so I was planning to pull the A.R.M.S. FSB last weekend, double-check alignment (with my Gas Block Genie), and re-install it. Went and dug through my tool bag, couldn't find my Gas Block Genie. I turned my house and garage upside-down. The damned thing must've grown legs. Ordered up a new one, and it came in yesterday. This weekend gas block alignment will get double-checked.

As an aside, I think the wife knows about this rifle now. :laffs:It's been sitting on my work bench the last couple of weeks, half-hidden behind my tool bag. She never goes out there ("my side" of the garage, blah blah blah), until yesterday. She needed something out of my toolbox (right next to the work bench), and called me to ask where it would be. So I told her. And she got it. But she still hasn't said anything about the rifle...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, COBrien said:

As an aside, I think the wife knows about this rifle now. :laffs:It's been sitting on my work bench the last couple of weeks, half-hidden behind my tool bag. She never goes out there ("my side" of the garage, blah blah blah), until yesterday. She needed something out of my toolbox (right next to the work bench), and called me to ask where it would be. So I told her. And she got it. But she still hasn't said anything about the rifle...

You are SO busted...   :lmao::banana:

On 8/16/2019 at 7:08 AM, COBrien said:

Knew a guy that every time he bought a new piece of equipment for the workshop, he'd pay extra to have it painted to match the other tools in the shop. His wife didn't know a drillpress from a mill but would know if a different coloured  tool was added.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

Good news is that having bought a new Gas Block Genie the missing one will now appear in plain sight in the near future.

I certainly hope so. Didn't work out that way for my PatchWorm, though.

Maybe they're hanging out together, having a beer, with the half-dozen 10mm sockets, spark plug gapping tools, feeler gauges, zip ties, pivot pin detents, and that one wedding ring I've lost over the years. The wedding ring -- seriously -- was sitting on the counter next to the kitchen sink for 20 fvcking minutes, while I was at home, alone, and disa-gotdam-ppeared. I'm still pissed about that...

On 8/16/2019 at 11:48 PM, 98Z5V said:

You are SO busted...   :lmao::banana:

...and she still hasn't said anything. Perhaps she's waiting for the perfect opportunity to bust me out. Or maybe she's waiting to see just what else is lying around the house that she doesn't know about...

On 8/17/2019 at 9:21 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

Knew a guy that every time he bought a new piece of equipment for the workshop, he'd pay extra to have it painted to match the other tools in the shop. His wife didn't know a drillpress from a mill but would know if a different coloured  tool was added.

That is an excellent idea. Unfortunately, my wife "gets" guns. I've never owned a rifle with OD green furniture (Dissipator). Nor have I owned an AR-pattern rifle with a stainless barrel (CSASS)...

Westgadad lost his out of a windshield mounted leather pouch deal on his bike one time. I had a good time picking on him about it for the weekend. Then on Monday he found it in the parking lot at work. We assume it must've bounced out just right as he went over a speed bump. Or his mistress gave it back.... Lol.

my ex pawned her ring before we were ex.. cost me 90$ to get her 2100$ ring back and about 100k$ to get rid of her.. only rings i use are on my ars! my rings are in a box somewhere in my kids future.. 

1 hour ago, Rsquared said:

Got married in 85, but being in the mechanical field back then, I would rarely ever wear mine. To this day, I have no idea what ever happened to it. But I'm also not a jewelry guy in any way, shape or form. So......that's part of the story.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I pulled the gas block tonight. Lined up “by eye” from my range trip (using the casting line on the front of the FSB as center line), it was clear the gas block was just catching about 2/3 of the port. 

Gas Block Genie in block revealed the casting line up the front of the FSB was a RCH less than 1/16” off center.

[Adam Savage voice] “Well, there’s your problem!” 

0.125” port in FSB. 0.110” port in barrel. That leaves 0.0075” of “wiggle” either direction to still get 100% of the gas port. I was off by 0.031”(ish). More math leads me to believe the port in the FSB was only “seeing” 0.086”(ish) of the gas port. DTI drills their ports to 0.088”, so it’s perfectly understandable that the rifle ran worse with this FSB vs. the DTI pinned FSB. 

Got ‘er all lined up and back together. Gonna try and get her out to my buddy’s place this weekend. 

Edited by COBrien

56 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

A very complicated simple rifle.

Complicated by the "better" FSB I just had to run. It's a clamp-on, vs. the DTI, which was pinned in place. I'm pretty convinced that, had I opened up the gas port and re-installed the DTI FSB, she'd have run like a top.

I love that,  "  Meanwhile back at the ranch..." line.  It was a favorite of mine when I played sick to get out of school for the day.  There was an old B&W cowboy show,  Billy Bang Bang and his brother Butch.  Whatever was going on in the show they always used  " Meanwhile back at the Ranch "  to move the show along.  I played hooky several times just to watch the show.

You're not the only fellow to have trouble with the switcheroo.  It seems popular elsewhere as well.  Hope it works out well.