• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Underweight and slightly over budget

WiDeerHunter

Here it is finally finished. Thanks to all the guys on here for their tips, ideas and advice. My goal was to build a AR308 under 9 pounds with optics and 5 rounds in a 10 round clip for under 2000. The build is for the wife for deer hunting and hopefully pig hunting one day. I made the weight goal by 14 ozs but went over budget by a couple hundred, but thanks to black friday and cyber mondays I could have went over by even more. I also could have went lighter and alot cheaper by using a lighter barrel but for 4 more ozs and a couple hundred dollars i went with the lilja 18" barrel. If I went the cheap route I could have saved another 500 but i just couldnt cheap out on this build. In the end the bare gun weights 6.75 pounds add optics and a full 10 round clip and it comes in at 8.2 pounds mission accomplished thanks to everyome for all the help.

Screenshot_20180215-104522.png

2 minutes ago, WiDeerHunter said:

Here it is finally finished. Thanks to all the guys on here for their tips, ideas and advice. My goal was to build a AR308 under 9 pounds with optics and 5 rounds in a 10 round clip for under 2000. The build is for the wife for deer hunting and hopefully pig hunting one day. I made the weight goal by 14 ozs but went over budget by a couple hundred, but thanks to black friday and cyber mondays I could have went over by even more. I also could have went lighter and alot cheaper by using a lighter barrel but for 4 more ozs and a couple hundred dollars i went with the lilja 18" barrel. If I went the cheap route I could have saved another 500 but i just couldnt cheap out on this build. In the end the bare gun weights 6.75 pounds add optics and a full 10 round clip and it comes in at 8.2 pounds mission accomplished thanks to everyome for all the help.

Screenshot_20180215-104522.png

Very nice looking build.  My compliments.  :thumbup:

So here's the parts list.

2A xanthos upper lower, Lilja 308 barrel "ar10740", 2a xsc rail, slr gas block, Thunderbeast CB muzzle brake, Hogue pistol grip, MFT stock, JP Enterprises bolt carrier enhanced Bolt JPBC - 4SPA, Spike's Tactical gas tube, BCM gunfighter charging handle, V7 hybrid selector, mag release, buffer retainer, titanium pistol grip screw bolt catch, takedown pivot pin set, buffer tube, QD end plate and castle nut, Geissele SSA-E trigger, Leupold vx3i, Warne X-Skel mount, pmag 10 rd mag I believe that is all the parts. Bare gun no Optics no mag 6 lb 12 oz gun with Optics 7lb 13.9 Oz, Gun, Optics, 5 rounds in a clip 8 lbs 5.4 Oz I could have lost some weight with a lighter scope mount or just going with rings that scope mount seems real beefy and still relatively light at just over 6 oz could have lost a little weight in the barrel also but glad I went the direction I did between the barrel and scope mount alone I could have probably dropped 7 oz and saved a lot of money buying a cheaper Barrel ,bolt carrier group cheaper lower parts kit that V7 stuff is expensive. All weights are by my cheap  scale some parts came in heavier than the manufacturer stated some parts came in lighter after reweighing everything, 5 rounds in the mag Optics and gun weight 8.54 Oz little heavier than I first stated pictures are, empty gun no Optics, gun with Optics, gun with Optics and 5 rounds in a mag

20180209_081754.jpg

20180220_065153.jpg

20180220_065407.jpg

Thanks guys, hoping to get up north and break it in and dial it in this weekend really been jonesing to get up north just haven't had the time been too busy with work. I'll give a range report as soon as I can. Without the Xanthos upper and lower I wouldn't have made my weight goal. I spent a little more than I wanted to on the upper and lower Plus getting it cerakote olive drab added even more to the price but it really turned out nice and was worth the money

So here is the break in and sight in range report. First off wow what a gun it shoots like a dream, light weight, low recoil, smooth as butter the SLR gas block is a dream to dail in the gas system with. I started at setting 5 end up at 9. Im shooting reduce recoil Hornady ammo. Broke in the barrel exactly as Lilja instructed me to and I did not have a stable rest for sighting the gun in this is my best 5 round group I'll need to borrow a buddies lead sled or bring up some sand bags to try and dial it in further. I could not be happier with the way the gun turned out, the way it operates and for having such a lackluster rest to shoot off of the accuracy of the gun. The 5 shot group  is at a hundred yards the fifth round was the Stray one. Hopefully I will be going up north again next weekend and I will have a better rest to shoot off of and  then I can really dail the gun in

20180304_125526.jpg

Thanks guys I think the reason everything went so good is just buying Quality Parts and not going cheap. I'm already looking forward to Friday I have a three-day weekend coming up definitely going to try and get back up there and dial it in even more just need a better rest to shoot off of using the seat of my ATV as a rest just isn't cutting it LOL

That’s one badass stick!! Don’t let anyone ever tell you different. 

If you’re looking for a nice lightweight 5-round magazine, call up midwestPX.com and ask about their “stubby” mags. I have a LR20 PMAG cut down to a flush 5-round mag. The fit and finish is beautiful. You would think it was a legit magazine. Having a flush fit mag is really nice when hunting. There’s no worry about high centering on the mag when tucking in deep. I often use my bipod more like skids than legs. It lets me stay really small. 

• 2 weeks later...