• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

howdy

Txquadhunter

Thanks for the welcome y'all.  the reading i've been doing, I've seen there a lot of Smartasses on this forum. I like it!

I may not have much info to share over the 308AR's, But i'm learning with every post read.   Now if someone needs help with adaptive equipment to get people with disabilities back in the woods, I'm your man.  since i'm a quadriplegic

13 hours ago, Sisco said:

Welcome Jeremy! Much respect, doesn’t sound like you let anything stop you! 

No Sir, I don't let anything stop me. 

13 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

You are an inspiration Sir! 

Thank you, Sir.  I keep a positive outlook on life, Because being pissed off at the world due to an injury would have made the last 22 years one rough path

God bless you brother

So I'm thinking you would like a .308 w/ a loud brake/comp that will annoy anyone on the sides. I have and enjoy that byproduct. Put it in a lead sled, set it so it doesn't hit you on recoil or send an errant round downrange. Then would a puffer type actuation of the trigger work ?  

you have a strong constitution brother.:thumbup:

On 3/19/2018 at 8:24 AM, unforgiven said:

God bless you brother

So I'm thinking you would like a .308 w/ a loud brake/comp that will annoy anyone on the sides. I have and enjoy that byproduct. Put it in a lead sled, set it so it doesn't hit you on recoil or send an errant round downrange. Then would a puffer type actuation of the trigger work ?  

you have a strong constitution brother.:thumbup:

You're close!  I don't use a lead sled, I use an adaptive rig from Beadative. http://beadaptive.com/products.html

I've been hunting with brakes since About 1998 with a 22-250 with the BOSS system, Then with a 25.06 with a custom brake. That was all with my original adaptive equipment, that i was able to operate a bolt action myself easily.

that equipment mess up, i wasn't able to find anyone to repair the electronics on it, So i was out of the hunting world for a few years, Since adaptive hunting equipment is so expensive.

I started saving for replacement equipment in 2014, that winter i heard on my radio station of a person in need, So i took from my savings to help them. That on air radio personality, found out what i need, Through her and the radio station helped raised the money for my replacement equipment. To say i was blessed was is an understatement.

I learned quick, That operating a bolt action myself with the new equipment wasn't a option. So i stepped into the AR world with a DPMS GII bull which has a crowned barrel, Which has been almost perfect, But the muzzle jump with my equipment through a follow up shot on hogs out of the question.  I researched having a brake put on it, but never followed through in fear of messing up the great accuracy it has.  So i built an AR15 in 6.5G with a VG6 brake, it's accomplished what i set out to do, Calm muzzle jump.  It's just not proven yet, Since i struck out this deer season, Since i wasn't able to make it to my friends place in Central Texas this year.  So i hunted what i could at my buddies lease in east Texas, But since my wheelchair doesn't have pontoons, it wasn't much lol

I stumbled into a Aero M5 lower for $100, That's lead me to built what i really wanted, large frame AR in 243. Which i think will make the perfect all around caliber for Texas humting.  Thanks to this forum, I've been able to gather everything, But a stock, handguard and Barrel for my build.  But, that'll have to come later down the road as i save, because buying all upfront like a lot do, is out of the question for me. I'm going to try to pick up the stock and FF handguard on the used market to save a little $$  as for the barrel, i was going to use X-caliber after so research i found the Predator masters forum, they highly recommend Ritchs Precision for AR 243 barrel. So i figure since price is the same, I'll give Ritchs a shot. Since there seems to be no gas port troubles with his barrels. Yes, it will have some kind of obnoxious brake on it!

Thanks for all the Welcomes, i enjoy reading the knowledge thats posted here on the 308AR.

Here's A video i have using my GII, you can see the full affect it has with jumping around.

23 minutes ago, Txquadhunter said:

i was going to use X-caliber after so research i found the Predator masters forum, they highly recommend Ritchs Precision for AR 243 barrel. So i figure since price is the same, I'll give Ritchs a shot. Since there seems to be no gas port troubles with his barrels.

There was a spirited conversation with X-Caliber here about gas port sizing. I had gotten a 308 16 inch rifle length gas from them that was seriously undersized. They made some real bogus comments in the thread and got laughed off the board. It's an accurate barrel but you may have saved yourself a headache with that change. What kind of stock and tube are you looking for? We have a wanted section here you could post up and see if anyone has anything used they would want to sell. Nice shooting on that hog :thumbup:

8 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

There was a spirited conversation with X-Caliber here about gas port sizing.

"Spirited" wasn't an accurate description of how it went down here.  Their "top secret gas port" information was directly laughed off, when the information is readily available - and we showed them that. Their "top secret" gas port sizing is wildly off the mark, and WAY undersized.

But, what do we know... 

15 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

"Spirited" wasn't an accurate description of how it went down here.  Their "top secret gas port" information was directly laughed off, when the information is readily available - and we showed them that. Their "top secret" gas port sizing is wildly off the mark, and WAY undersized.

But, what do we know... 

Hello??  Hello?   Did I get a vibe? Excaliber Super Secret gas porting?    Bwwwhhaahhhaaa:laffs:    Wash

Just now, washguy said:

Hello??  Hello?   Did I get a vibe? Excaliber Super Secret gas porting?    Bwwwhhaahhhaaa:laffs:    Wash

Them saying it was "proprietary, and that information isn't given out" means that they didn't know, guessed WAY undersized, then left the customer to figure it out in the long run.  That's cool. I think.....  Better than making it WAY OVER SIZED, and forcing customers to buy adjustble gas blocks to fix their shiitty guesses...  :thumbup: