• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ammunition of choice

trgglynn

For me, the choice is never any steel cased ammo.  I load all my own stuff, so that's my first choice, always.  If I buy, it's pretty much just so I can get a stock of reloadable brass built up, depending on the price of it.  Ammo I've bought in the past was more of a precision ammo, Black Hills 5.56 77gr, Federal Gold Medal Match ammo in a few calibers, etc.  These days, I stick to Hornady brass if I'm buying just brass - great life from it, reloading.

Thanks for your replies. Brass sounds like the way to go.

Anyone got a good source for good ammunitions? Currently I buy boxes from the common stores and 7.62/.308 is running me close to $1/round - it makes me sick. At this point I am willing to buy 500 rounds for a few hundies, but really would rather not buy bunk.

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

For me, the choice is never any steel cased ammo.  I load all my own stuff, so that's my first choice, always.  If I buy, it's pretty much just so I can get a stock of reloadable brass built up, depending on the price of it.  Ammo I've bought in the past was more of a precision ammo, Black Hills 5.56 77gr, Federal Gold Medal Match ammo in a few calibers, etc.  These days, I stick to Hornady brass if I'm buying just brass - great life from it, reloading.

Thanks for the info. I’ve used Federal and Hornady. I like them. I also use Winchester brand sometimes too.

8 hours ago, trgglynn said:

Thanks for your replies. Brass sounds like the way to go.

Anyone got a good source for good ammunitions? Currently I buy boxes from the common stores and 7.62/.308 is running me close to $1/round - it makes me sick. At this point I am willing to buy 500 rounds for a few hundies, but really would rather not buy bunk.

What is your application? hunting, plinking, long rang, or whatever else? do you know what type of bullets you like or grains? 

Hornady you can get for as cheap as about 75 cents a round or federal and winchester about 52 cents a round. but that doesn't really help you much unless you know what type of round you want or what you want to use them for. generally speaking, more accurate/higher quality bullets are going to cost you more. but if you don't plan on shooting at great distances, you can get away with a lot more inexpensive rounds. once I know what I want, I usually look on ammoseek.com for the most inexpensive place to buy, although I buy a lot of my stuff from midwayusa.com

On 1/1/2019 at 9:19 PM, edgecrusher said:

Gotcha! Can I shoot a 39 in my 7.62x51? 

I eneded up ordering these:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi-partizan-762-51-mm-nato-ammo-145-gr-fmjbt-battlepack-pp768bp-p-59071.aspx

On 1/1/2019 at 11:05 PM, ARTrooper said:

What is your application? hunting, plinking, long rang, or whatever else? do you know what type of bullets you like or grains? 

Hornady you can get for as cheap as about 75 cents a round or federal and winchester about 52 cents a round. but that doesn't really help you much unless you know what type of round you want or what you want to use them for. generally speaking, more accurate/higher quality bullets are going to cost you more. but if you don't plan on shooting at great distances, you can get away with a lot more inexpensive rounds. once I know what I want, I usually look on ammoseek.com for the most inexpensive place to buy, although I buy a lot of my stuff from midwayusa.com

I just practice shoot at the moment. I haven’t done much though because of the prior ammo price tag situation. I’ll check out those other sites.

Thank you for the replies!

8 minutes ago, trgglynn said:

No way, no how, ever, ever, ever. Don't even try it, or think about it.

This is the difference you're looking at, by trying that:

wionwx.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

14 hours ago, trgglynn said:

I eneded up ordering these:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi-partizan-762-51-mm-nato-ammo-145-gr-fmjbt-battlepack-pp768bp-p-59071.aspx

I just practice shoot at the moment. I haven’t done much though because of the prior ammo price tag situation. I’ll check out those other sites.

Thank you for the replies!

Yeah full metal jacket will be fine for just practice shooting then. I often times like to look for ammo on ammoseek.com 

If you don't mind shooting steel case, you can find some for your rifle that is 30-32 cents a round, brass cased is a little more expensive but you can still find it for under 50 cents a round. also there is shipping to think about. this website helps you out with the shipping aspect.

Trust me, you'll never look at ammo on the shelf of the local gun store again. 

5 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Yeah full metal jacket will be fine for just practice shooting then. I often times like to look for ammo on ammoseek.com 

If you don't mind shooting steel case, you can find some for your rifle that is 30-32 cents a round, brass cased is a little more expensive but you can still find it for under 50 cents a round. also there is shipping to think about. this website helps you out with the shipping aspect.

Trust me, you'll never look at ammo on the shelf of the local gun store again. 

Ammoseek.com is great. I use it frequently.  I also use ammobot.net for alternatives. 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:52 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

If you want match ammo, watch for Federal Gold Medal Match at Palmetto State Armory to go on sale.  It runs for $16.99 a box periodically.  It's just not on sale right now. 

It's always on sale for me, or if you're buying it from me. Whether or not it is in stock at the time is the only question.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:52 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

If you want match ammo, watch for Federal Gold Medal Match at Palmetto State Armory to go on sale.  It runs for $16.99 a box periodically.  It's just not on sale right now. 

Dirk, do NOT look at this post! :hornet:

168gr FGMM is on sale for $16.99 today at PSA.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/federal-308-168gr-sierra-matchking-bthp-gold-medal-ammunition-20rds-gm308m.html