• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I cant shoot left handed

blue109

Part of our pistol qual is 5 shots unsupported strong and then weak hand. Its at super close range and I still have a really hard time keeping them in the scoring zone. Spent about 100 rds today just on my left hand and I still suck. Sights are lined up...im squeezing slow...and BANG bullet goes 6" low right. I tried using left, right, and both eyes open. Right eye left hand seems to give me the best results but ugly.  

My normal strong/supported shooting is good and I usually qual perfect (with a couple ugly holes at the edge thanks to that left hander) so I dont think its basics. 

Any training tips other than range time and dryfire?

If it is close range try looking,over the sights, point the gun like a finger. It actually is a more natural shooting position. Your lining up the length of the gun rather then the sights. I can do pretty good that way. most shooting done in the old west with pistols was that way, as their sights were rudimentry and pretty poor. You will know if it works for you within a couple of magazines.

Talk about screwed up, I shoot rifles left handed with my left eye, and pistols right handed with my right eye.

Edited by Sisco

11 minutes ago, blue109 said:

I wish I tried some point shooting. Maybe next weekend. We are trading in our M&P .40s for FN509 9MMs at work tomorrow. Hopefully we get some familiarization rounds before we qual but knowing my company they are just going to throw us into it lol. 

Do they give you much for time and rounds with the new gear before you are hanging your life on it? 

Im not expecting much....and they even make it a pain in the ass to practice. We use to just keep our weapons but something somewhere happened and we turn them in every night now. You can sign it out to shoot but you need to drive back and sign it back in when you are done so nobody ever does. 

On weak hand (left)point your finger at something (without anything in your hand). See how your hand isn't straight up and down but pointing more like 1:30 or 2:00.  Try using the same angle when shooting. If you are trying to hold the pistol straight up and down you are fighting your body's natural position

7 hours ago, blue109 said:

Part of our pistol qual is 5 shots unsupported strong and then weak hand. Its at super close range and I still have a really hard time keeping them in the scoring zone. Spent about 100 rds today just on my left hand and I still suck. Sights are lined up...im squeezing slow...and BANG bullet goes 6" low right.

That's "heeling" brother  - your grip is too tight.  Practice this - grab that pistol with the left hand, sight through the sights, and start gripping/squeazing until the sights start to shake.  Back the grip tension off until the sights settle back down  - that's your perfect grip tension, right when those sights settle down...

That will definitely change where the rounds are impacting.   

2 hours ago, shooterrex said:

On weak hand (left)point your finger at something (without anything in your hand). See how your hand isn't straight up and down but pointing more like 1:30 or 2:00.  Try using the same angle when shooting. If you are trying to hold the pistol straight up and down you are fighting your body's natural position

If you do this, and use both-eyes-open, it's really easy to pick up the sights with the opposite eye.  Left handed, gun canted, use your right eye.  It's freaky how fast it lines up.

I always cant my pistol when shooting one handed. Your arm is not inline with your face, unless you shoot sideways. When squared off in a combat stance, you dont have the support of your second hand to hold the pistol in front of you. Your strongest muscles are used when keeping your limbs inline with your frame. Pushing your pistol directly out in front of your shoulder, then canting the sights to your eye, is accurate "enough", faster, and less strenuous/taxing on your muscles.

This allows me to control the pistol with large muscle groups and only use small muscle groups to actually manipulate the pistol. When the pistol is out of alignment with my body, the small muscle groups try to assist the larger muscles. When small muscles try to assist larger muscles, they spasm, and shake. On the flip, if a small muscle is being used out of alignment, the large muscles will try to assist. This will come in large bursts as they show up as shot anticipation, since large muscles can't make small adjustments. 

or something like that... LOL, not sure that made sense

funny i tried left hand today as my rotator cuff in my right shoulder is so painful to shoot after reagular pratice on the rifle.. i can barly hold my arm up and extended for a full 7 rnds. I did pretty good with the .22 and a red dot, but i was trying so hard to pull the trigger with the left hand.. I need lots of pratice!  15 yds and a 5" group with a red dot. supported or not. right eye only. 

hope you can get more time on the range before you need it blue! Is this a timed qual?

Its always timed and our guy is strict on the stopwatch.  Im not concerned with the score as im in no danger of failing,  (state qualifications are a joke and we shoot a slightly ramped up state course) but ive identified a seriously weak area that I need to practice. 

Edited by blue109

Update: perfect qual!

We have a new course of fire. The left/right unsupported went down to 3 rounds each and the distance closed in to 7' for those. We also did 2+2 drawing and shooting from the hip at 3' which was fun. its certainly not an impressive feat to shoot at 7', but I grouped the left handers nice. Canted gun with both eyes open at center mass worked well. Might be the new sight setup on the FN but they seemed very clear and intuitive.  some standard timed shooting/mag changes at 15' and 21'. The rest of the new course pushed out to 45'. I got cocky on the last mag at range and they started slipping low but they were still all in the scoring zone. 

Not a huge fan of the 509 but its not bad. We got 50rds to play with and then got scored. My first gun (the one I qualified with) wouldnt lock back on last round. After I shot I swapped it out for another one he had and ran another 50 through it and it worked fine so im keeping it. The trigger reset sucks. Its long and mushy, but the trigger itself is decent. Dont really like the feel of the grip. Its very aggressive and squared off but it does point well for me. We still have our M&Ps for now while they finish paperwork on the FNs so I hope to get it out to the range one more time before we start carrying it. 

14 hours ago, Magwa said:

I have the same problem I am going to try and apply this to myself.. thank you guys it has been a issue forever just to hard headed to try and fix it ...

I can talk you through this whole thing, brother.  Seriously. There are some techniques that you can use that make shooting off-hand, one-handed, really easy.  In a drunken stupor, I let all my cards out on the table at about 2am during the last Fall Shoot, and I gave up all my secrets to @Matt.Cross.  The shiit works.  We were banging steel in the dark, and making hits that I normally can't do during the daylight...   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I can talk you through this whole thing, brother.  Seriously. There are some techniques that you can use that make shooting off-hand, one-handed, really easy.  In a drunken stupor, I let all my cards out on the table at about 2am during the last Fall Shoot, and I gave up all my secrets to @Matt.Cross.  The shiit works.  We were banging steel in the dark, and making hits that I normally can't do during the daylight...   :banana:

well I will teach you how to make rocks into sharp things that poke holes in soft stuff and you have already taught me a ton of stuff so this will be icing on the cake.. we are going to do this...