• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New from upstate New York

Dirty Steve

Hello to the members.  I am new to forum from upstate Peoples Republic of New York.   I have one Safe Act compliant featureless AR-15.   Thinking seriously about building a compliant .308 caliber AR platform rifle.  Want option to hunt whitetail deer with said build.  Have other firearms of various makes/models/types all safely stored.  

Welcome from the southern end of California. I believe my state and your state are in a race to out-stupid each other when it comes to laws. I sure wish one of them would throw the match and allow the other to take the trophy already. 

8 hours ago, Dirty Steve said:

Thinking seriously about building a compliant .308 caliber AR platform rifle.  Want option to hunt whitetail deer with said build.

I did this last year for the same reason (wanted a solid deer rifle); only it was much later in the year when I began... Being late August, you've got plenty of time to work out details for yourself though. 

What did you have in mind for this build? What other goals do you have outside of SAFE Act compliance? You know, it only takes a P-Mag, a NYS legal grip, or a gas tube roll pin to start a build. Feel free to start a new topic in Member Builds section so we can follow along and answer any questions you might have along the way. As you may or may not already know; parts compatibility can be problematic, as there isn't any Mil Spec on the 308 designs. There are plenty of people around here who can help you out with those details (and measurements if you get that deep), so don't hesitate to ask.

The only regret I have with my first 308 build is the finished weight. It's not much more than a heavy AR-15, but if I had to do it again (and I'm pretty sure I will); weight will be consideration from day one. I'll have to double check; but I think my finished build is right around 10 lbs. with an 18" barrel.  Nice to see another New Yorker in the mix here.