• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's M16A4 - my way...

98Z5V

Been wanting to do one of these for a long time, either this or a SAM-R or something.  Found out that the Gun Pusher had a Knight's M5 RAS that he's been dying to get out of that shop, and he had it marked at $60.  BAM!  OFF TO THE RACES!!!   :laffs:

Aero has an M16A4 marked lower receiver, so I started searching for lower parts - damn if I could find a complete A2 buttstock assembly in stock anywhere for cheap. Ridiculous prices on a bunch of recoil systems-with-stock, so I said fuk it, and had the Gun Pusher just get me a complete Aero M16A4 lower.  He's tight with Ballistic Advantage, so I had him get me the barrel, too.  BA Modern Series SPR barrel, black nitrided, 4150 CMV.  Pulled the barrel for $130, and the complete lower for $210 - GP John owed me for putting a set of race cams in his YXZ1000R rig, so I got a screamin' deal on parts...  :lmao:

This is where I deviate, in my own way, from an M16A4 "Clone Rifle" - I did this my way.  This is the way I'd have this gun modified by my badass unit Armorers, if I had access to them whilst I was stuck with an M16A4 gun.  Here's what my notes to the Armorers would be when I turned the gun in:

"Get that 20" barrel off there, and get me a spare SPR barrel on this gun.  Keep the A2 flash suppressor on there until some Mk12 collars and brakes show up.  Get the Mk12 Mod 0 front sight on the barrel.  Put a Match Trigger in it, and put on a Magpul aluminum trigger guard and K2 grip, install a Battle Arms Development Ambi safety, keep the A2 stock and recoil system.  Keep the MaTech BUIS on there, and ACOG it."

That would be my work list for the Armorers to do to the gun.  I'd run the M16A4 that way, all day, wouldn't care if it was free-floated barrel or not.  I could beat the SHIIT out of the gun in that configuration, and still shoot some distance with it, and never break it. 

That's what I did, and used an Armalite National Match trigger in it.  Primary Arms got the nod for the fixed 5x Prism scope - I'll take that all day at about $300, over shelling out the major coin for a 4x ACOG.  I like the reticle in the PA 5x prism, alot.  I like the ability to run red or green illum, and I run the green way more often.  Bitchin' little optic.  :thumbup:

So, here it is - gets the irons and optic zero'd in the morning, then I leave for SHOT later in the afternoon.

P1080457.thumb.JPG.f6861bc22552a7fdc745b063e6119682.JPG

P1080458.thumb.JPG.d91455ae7e4c5782d0d96e411ebd77d6.JPG

P1080459.thumb.JPG.6fb4aa871f2ffa2d3ab43e49eff06e7b.JPG

26 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Been wanting to do one of these for a long time, either this or a SAM-R or something.  Found out that the Gun Pusher had a Knight's M5 RAS that he's been dying to get out of that shop, and he had it marked at $60.  BAM!  OFF TO THE RACES!!!   :laffs:

Aero has an M16A4 marked lower receiver, so I started searching for lower parts - damn if I could find a complete A2 buttstock assembly in stock anywhere for cheap. Ridiculous prices on a bunch of recoil systems-with-stock, so I said fuk it, and had the Gun Pusher just get me a complete Aero M16A4 lower.  He's tight with Ballistic Advantage, so I had him get me the barrel, too.  BA Modern Series SPR barrel, black nitrided, 4150 CMV.  Pulled the barrel for $130, and the complete lower for $210 - GP John owed me for putting a set of race cams in his YXZ1000R rig, so I got a screamin' deal on parts...  :lmao:

This is where I deviate, in my own way, from an M16A4 "Clone Rifle" - I did this my way.  This is the way I'd have this gun modified by my badass unit Armorers, if I had access to them whilst I was stuck with an M16A4 gun.  Here's what my notes to the Armorers would be when I turned the gun in:

"Get that 20" barrel off there, and get me a spare SPR barrel on this gun.  Keep the A2 flash suppressor on there until some Mk12 collars and brakes show up.  Get the Mk12 Mod 0 front sight on the barrel.  Put a Match Trigger in it, and put on a Magpul aluminum trigger guard and K2 grip, install a Battle Arms Development Ambi safety, keep the A2 stock and recoil system.  Keep the MaTech BUIS on there, and ACOG it."

That would be my work list for the Armorers to do to the gun.  I'd run the M16A4 that way, all day, wouldn't care if it was free-floated barrel or not.  I could beat the SHIIT out of the gun in that configuration, and still shoot some distance with it, and never break it. 

That's what I did, and used an Armalite National Match trigger in it.  Primary Arms got the nod for the fixed 5x Prism scope - I'll take that all day at about $300, over shelling out the major coin for a 4x ACOG.  I like the reticle in the PA 5x prism, alot.  I like the ability to run red or green illum, and I run the green way more often.  Bitchin' little optic.  :thumbup:

So, here it is - gets the irons and optic zero'd in the morning, then I leave for SHOT later in the afternoon.

P1080457.thumb.JPG.f6861bc22552a7fdc745b063e6119682.JPG

P1080458.thumb.JPG.d91455ae7e4c5782d0d96e411ebd77d6.JPG

P1080459.thumb.JPG.6fb4aa871f2ffa2d3ab43e49eff06e7b.JPG

Awesome looking rifle.  I have that optic on my X39 rifle.

If I come across some A1 buttstocks anyone want them?

Stuff I seen last week was cheap $30-$60 depending how beat they were, most had armory markings on them.

I seen complete kits ( minus lower and barrel) a lot cheaper than whats been offered around the net- $350~$400.

I could give you the sellers info if you are interested, he's been on our show circuit for 20 years of better.

The only thing he sells is classic MILSERP AR platform stuff.

Edited by Ravenworks

10 hours ago, blue109 said:

Just waiting on the Noveske flush mount sling mount for that stock 😉

I don't know, brother - I think I'm gonna keep that M16A4 top-sling adaptor on there...   Undecided right now...  Plus, I'm all out of those Noveske Flush Cups now...  :laffs:

Hey, @Ravenworks, thanks for your For Sale solicitation right in the middle of my build thread.  Pimp that shiit in the For Sale thread.  :thefinger:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I don't know, brother - I think I'm gonna keep that M16A4 top-sling adaptor on there...   Undecided right now...  Plus, I'm all out of those Noveske Flush Cups now...  :laffs:

Hey, @Ravenworks, thanks for your For Sale solicitation right in the middle of my build thread.  Pimp that shiit in the For Sale thread.  :thefinger:

Sorry,though you were into them,I'm not making anything off them, in fact it would cost me MY TIME to seek them out and send them.

No I guess I won't pimp my free time.

But, As you know the original stuff is all but gone.

So have someone delete the post doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Ravenworks

All I know is that an A1 stock is just too short for me, I might as well go to the carbine stock and pin it....at least that is what my ape arms tell me.  

The A2, totally different story for whatever reason.  I pick up one of these on an AR, and it just feels perfect...can't figure out why that little bit of length does it, but it does.

In my world the A1 and A2 are completely different for building a rifle......dunno.

5 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

All I know is that an A1 stock is just too short for me, I might as well go to the carbine stock and pin it....at least that is what my ape arms tell me.  

The A2, totally different story for whatever reason.  I pick up one of these on an AR, and it just feels perfect...can't figure out why that little bit of length does it, but it does.

In my world the A1 and A2 are completely different for building a rifle......dunno.

Amazing what 5/8 of an inch can do

• 2 years later...

Thinking about ditching the Mk12 Mod 1 for the next match, and taking this one out there for it.  I'll have to pack both guns, because I leave the night before - and we don't get match info until later the night before.  Last month, they threw that 715 target out there on us, for the first time.  If they do that again, it's Mod 1 all day long.  If they toss out a max target at 610 or something, like they've done in the past, I'll take this one and shoot it.  We'll see what they throw us.   :thumbup:

I'd love to shoot that course with a 5x fixed Prism scope, just to see what happens...   :laffs: