• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First SquiB!

FreQRiDeR

Well, finally happened. After thousands of reloads, I got my first squib! Barely went pop. I thought it was a soft strike. Pulled the trigger again to try and detonate. THANK GOD THE NEXT ROUND DIDN’T FULLY CHAMBER!!! That would have been a catastrophe! Took it apart and found this... 

Just barely past the lands. Might have neglected to add powder to that one :/ 

I tried knocking it out with a carbon arrow shaft. No go. Gunna try the brass cleaning rod next. Do you think just the primer would be enough to cycle a new round in my Beretta 92? Got lucky I guess, another mm or 2 and the next round would have chambered. Probably would have destroyed that barrel I would think, had it gone off. And I shoulda known better to pull the trigger again. Thing is, I didn’t even hear a pffft/pop? Never going to assume that again! 

86F3B6DE-5F03-40F5-A0D8-55EADFFC8EE8.jpeg

The classic "Pop and No Kick."  Good news on that one.  Modern barrel materials can take alot of abuse, maybe the next live one would have been the last - or maybe you could have just stacked that barrel up with projectiles - like this:

DI5ESCUAOL2TZRMS7HRWPLULHY.jpg

or this:

hqdefault.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well it happened again two times in a row! Same batch. I remember it being kinda late when I did ‘em and was really tired. Won’t do that again! I did come up with an ingenious, squib field repair kit! Got all caveman on it! 😉 A steel tent stake with a protective straw sleeve and a good rock did the trick! Kept shooting a few dosen rounds with no more issues. Not sure why so many squibs (Three so far)  in this batch? I’ve never had them before in thousands of reloads? Mixed brass, tossing it. Had a few reloads on ‘em already. I just remembered I left that box of ammo in the car for a while. It was pretty moist in there and got hot too. Wonder if that was the culprit? 

3C5A7E12-6951-4FEA-9D2A-C554B2CCE5D7.jpeg

B26116A4-B23C-4EFE-96AF-7758411440DA.jpeg

glad you cought it again.. I was told to run a squib round twards the mussel as to not mess up the rifeling? but it seems if it was stuck closer to one end of the barrel than the other what gives? I've only had one squib on a 380 bought from an old batch that might have got wet.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:13 PM, sketch said:

glad you cought it again.. I was told to run a squib round twards the mussel as to not mess up the rifeling? but it seems if it was stuck closer to one end of the barrel than the other what gives? I've only had one squib on a 380 bought from an old batch that might have got wet.

Not sure? I think they may have gotten wet in my truck. They were barely in the lands. One light tap is all that was needed to dislodge em. I dont think it warranted pushing it through the muzzle. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been my experience that squib loads that were just powered by a primer (no powder) are usually really black inside of the empty case. This was from seeing squibs back in the 80's. The primers left really black residue without any gunpowder to burn it off. The primers nowadays might be a lot cleaner so I don't know if that is still the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you are OK.  I was at a match one day when a fella had a squib non-sound go off.  Three attendees tried to get the guy's attention,  but too late.  Blam catastrophic incident.  Luckily he was unharmed,  not so much for his rifle though.  It's funny how loud a squib is to other folks near the squibee.  20 guys on the line and several men heard that un-noise over the din.  Remanufactured ammo was the culprit.