• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gun Safes

@RedRiverII, my apologies! For years I hunted with bolt action rifles. This past year I hunted with an AR .556 my late

father-in-law left to me. I instantly became a fan of AR-style rifles for hunting. I this past winter my AR was slung as

I ventured out on 200 mile snowmobile rides hunting wolf, wolverine, caribou and spotted seals on the sea ice. (home from

a day long hunt attached) I've thought about it for years but I am now ready for darn sure to get an AR10 for large game

such as bear and moose. I hope to build a .308 before moose season and I figured that hanging out here, I can get an education.

98 would answer my questions and give me the scoop when we visited in person but trying to retain all that information communicated verbally was

like trying to drink from a firehose. Sorry I chose your thread to sneak in. I saw the opportunity because I've been to 98's

home where those orange boxes are everywhere. 

@Radioactive, these guys are true brothers. I'd lay my life down for either one of them...... okay, I would at least yell, "Duck!" 😄 

@98Z5V, Had I not resigned from the Board of Directors I was on, I'd be down this December and could make the trip happen. 

We just moved across state again and the chances are now slim to none. You know I'd be there in a heartbeat if possible. 

For everyone else, this is showing off @DNP's work. His photography skills put me in a damn magazine! That's me on the black

quad with the big roost, left page. 

Caption reads: 

"CENTER: This is Doug aka "Eski" Swanson's break in ride on his new KFX 450R in the Imperial Sand Dunes. His first KFX 450R was stolen during shipping from the dealer to Alaska... lost in shipping somewhere in Phoenix. Some good luck landed a chance to purchase another one so this was a very memorable ride for him. Eski flies south from Koyuk, Alaska every desert season and had begun camping with us at Ogilby on a regular basis."

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 11.06.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 11.09.48 AM.png

Edited by SmoothAction

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red, I have a 30 year old Cannon with a tumbler lock and a 5 year old Stack On with an electronic lock. Both have pluses and minuses. Tell you the truth, if it’s in a garage, I would go with the Rigid boxes, and buy a bunch of desiccant every year for the Florida humidity. 

22 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

@98Z5V, if you rocked that ride like it looks (and I have no reason to doubt you did) then kudos to you! That's some seriously insane riding! Bravo!

I can get after it, when the others are egging me on...   That was mild, from that pic I posted - We just found a sweet jumping spot - it was like a jumping playground, in the middle of nowhere...  The Insane shiit is when you ride past something and have to stop - because you saw a line that wasn't there before - and you think to yourself, "If I hit it THIS way, I can fly over THERE off this!...   "  Example - and my knucklehead kid filming:

Since this gun safe thread is trashed already, we may as well just not stop...   :lmao:

The start of this ride is right at the beginning of the little dunes, and ripping through them to get to the big dunes.  This is the old '86 250R I got from Dirk. 

This is my kid - on my 450 - thinking he's gonna beat me up the hill.  Fat chance.  We DID play a trick on him at the end of a long weekend one year, and I let him beat me up the hill finally.  Didn't say anything for a year.  We get back to camp the next year, for Thanksgiving, and he starts talking ALL KINDS OF SHIIT about beating me the year before.  @DNP just broke it down for him right then - "Jake, your dad LET YOU WIN last year.  He LET you..."  He didn't believe it, not one bit, and we were all laughing.  I told him it was true - I held back, just enough to keep him barely in front of me...  :laffs: This was one that looked like every other race against him...  Every year, he stated how much faster he was this year, yada yada, yada...   I let him have it, just like normal...

Notice - I gave him a second, and let him get going before I layed into it...   :laffs:

I've got TONS of pics of Douggie, and I'm sorting through those now.  I'll find some good ones to put in here, without a doubt.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

This thread is shot. Sorry Red

I don’t recall breaking that news to Jake....that seems like a real A-hope thing to do. That couldn’t have been me. 

damn I miss that place. I gotta get back out there this year. I’m gonna do T-Day again no matter where we’re at with the house. 

37 minutes ago, DNP said:

This thread is shot. Sorry Red

I don’t recall breaking that news to Jake....that seems like a real A-hope thing to do. That couldn’t have been me. 

damn I miss that place. I gotta get back out there this year. I’m gonna do T-Day again no matter where we’re at with the house. 

Yeah, you broke him down like a shotgun, right away, too.  Busted that news RIGHT out once we listened to 5 minutes of his shiit-talking about "I beat my Dad LAST YEAR, SMOKED HIM up the hill..."   You let him have it.  :laffs:  Just as he needed it, too, brother...  :thumbup::hail:

So, since this thread is completely fucked, and it's been turned into the Eski Dune Thread, with the recent - surprise - arrival of a Brother From Another Mother...  I'm gonna keep posting dune shiit. 

I knew from the outset, kinda - had to figure it out a little - I was being fucked with by a Dune Buddy.  @AZMan is already here, so it wasn't him - but that fucker ambushed me, too...  :thefinger:

It was either Jayrod, or the Dune Moose.  Turns out, Dune Moose.  BUT!...  for your viewing pleasure, here's some epic shiit from Jayrod...  He'd been off a bike for quite awhile, and just showed up out here as a surprise.  Atthe end of this ride, we determined that he hasn't ridden enough - because he was smoked.  He was riding @DNP's WIFES bike - and he wrecked that bitch TWICE.  Again, this is a long vid, but it's worth it. 

There's a loooong story about Jayrod, breaking his leg in 2009, in the Silverlake Sand Dunes in MI.  He just bought a house, too - and I just moved to VA, too.  His new house needed a roof, and I couldn't find work after moving to VA.  I went to his casa in Cincinnatti, and we roofed that fucker in a week - with his gimp, broken-legged ass climbing up to ask us if we were doing okay.  "Yeah, we're fine - bring up more BEER next time, fucker!!!"  :bitchslap::laffs:

So, a few years later, Jayrod shows up - and this is Jayrod, after a few too many years off the bike.  He crashed Dirk's wife's bike twice, because we wore his ass just OUT... I don't think we ever told her, back in camp, that he crashed her ride...   :lmao: Kept that one on the down-low... 

I was tail-gunner on this ride, so I got to watch it all...   Just before this one, my kid crashed pretty good, and told me "he broke his leg..."  That's coming up - the prior vid - as soon as I can find it.

Edited by 98Z5V

There WAS a broken leg out there, that I did diagnose, though.  Different time.  Boot-top spiral fracture, tib and fib.  @DNP was there, and literally saved the day.  No shiit - had it not been for his Rhino, this guy was taking a helicopter ride out of the sand - but we got back to him, prepped him for movement, and put him in the back of the Rhino and got him back to camp.  From there, we moved him to his truck, and someone drove him to Yuma General Hospital to get him fixed up. 

That was a pretty fucking epic day, right there.  We put in some solid work, and got him the hell out of there, no helicopter - and no helicopter bill...  $$$...

Here's what we did to get him out of the wash - cut long sticks, duct-taped the fuk out of his leg to stabilized above and below the break, and stuff him in the Rhino.  tried to put him in the front, but too painful.  Ended up sticking him in the bed, with the tailgate down. We dressed him right, for movement.

WashSplint.thumb.jpg.7622969454b7512c4b593a2ffc973152.jpg

This was the x-ray composite:

WashRodandscrews.thumb.jpg.77926a35b511d9bdd51f7f35aa1ec567.jpg

After the hospital pinned the hell out of him, and screwed him up tight.  Dressed him up all pretty... 

WashYumarecovery.thumb.jpg.2efe090fd853dfec85268c939713f316.jpg

The ER Doc wanted to know who packaged him for transport, and what the hell they knew about it, because it was the first time he'd seen long sticks and duct-tape to straighten someone out and get them moving - but it was the best thing he'd seen coming out of a dune-crash in a long time. 

2 minutes ago, DNP said:

There were 2 of my wife’s bikes in the Jayrod vid....and mine too it looked like. Technically the only thing left of my wife’s 250R is a good chunk of the frame. You redid that entire bike. 

Wasn't Douggie there for this one?! - that was the "Surprise Douggie Bust From The Trailer?!..."  I think it was Doug on your bike.  

@SmoothAction, please confirm.  Do it quick, before I start breaking out more pics and vids, brother...  :laffs:

17 minutes ago, DNP said:

That was Doug on my bike and judging by the sticker on the back of the yellow beast, Jake was on my dad’s 400ex. This ride brought to you by DNP....

Indeed is was @SmoothAction on yours...  Jake wrecked your dad's 400EX twice that ride - the first time was going into SuperBowl, when Al jumped off and crawled to him to make sure he was okay...  That was epic - I need to find his GoPro vid of that one...

15 minutes ago, DNP said:

Who packaged him?  Fukin redneck ski medic. 

Hey, even a blind monkey finds a banana once in awhile, right?  All luck, brother, all luck.  If he'd a been bleeding bad, I might have barfed...   :laffs:

Here's us fucking around in Superbowl, right before Jayrod does the "I'm tired and I can't ride, so I'll just wreck" game.  Definitely @SmoothAction - Douggie, confirmed. 

Here's a vid from the same trip - but not the wreck ride...  I hit reserve on the 2-smoker, and that's no fun, as far out as we were - I left you guys and went back to camp. 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 7/14/2020 at 11:36 PM, 98Z5V said:

I can recommend this one - the RIDGID 2048-OS.  :thumbup:

I think @Rsquared used to run the same one in his truck bed, when he was manly enough to DRIVE out here every year.  You know, WAY back when...   :popcorn:

It works.  Well. 

P1080782.thumb.JPG.53c0a2483ffc2dfb4302ae659ac8190b.JPG

I don't mean to break up the "dune" thread now. But.....since I was called out. And don't think that I'm skeered to drive out there again, if the flight/mask nonsense isn't lifted by then.

Oh.....and my boxes are from the blue store, not the orange store......as if there's a difference. Clearly seen in the back of my truck here. Though my fat ass is leaning against planeflyer Jon's truck in this pic. :thefinger:

IMG_2060_jpg_c906a98b445791fc71d696d2876ae838.thumb.jpg.3bd0d4746be9c4855ba43b78c18f159b.jpg

Now.......carry on with the dune hopping and such.

Edited by Rsquared

4 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

I don't mean to break up the "dune" thread now. But.....since I was called out. And don't think that I'm skeered to drive out there again, if the flight/mask nonsense isn't lifted by then.

Oh.....and my boxes are from the blue store, not the orange store......as if there's a difference. Clearly seen in the back of my truck here. Though my fat ass is leaning against planeflyer Jon's truck in this pic. :thefinger:

IMG_2060_jpg_c906a98b445791fc71d696d2876ae838.thumb.jpg.3bd0d4746be9c4855ba43b78c18f159b.jpg

Now.......carry on with the dune hopping and such.

since you broke code im in.. picked up my 3rd safe and rigged a wood gun stand to get me to the back of this huge beast!.. I emptied my metal file cabs and tool boxes. spread out and got some fire proof for cheep! 

20200713_161255.jpg

20200713_161231.jpg

7 minutes ago, sketch said:

since you broke code im in.. picked up my 3rd safe and rigged a wood gun stand to get me to the back of this huge beast!.. I emptied my metal file cabs and tool boxes. spread out and got some fire proof for cheep! 

20200713_161255.jpg

20200713_161231.jpg

Who was your carpenter? :lmao:

Yeah, yeah.....I know that it was you. That was just an easy shot across your bow brother.

1 minute ago, Rsquared said:

Who was your carpenter? :lmao:

Yeah, yeah.....I know that it was you. That was just an easy shot across your bow brother.

It was my mgdayoff! 🤘🏻🖕🏻i got the longand short of it figured out bro!

This is EPIC DOUG, and it was during an EPIC trip, too.. One that will never, ever be forgotten between us all.  This trip in 2006 was pure Legend, pure Comedy, and pure Tragedy, all wrapped up together.  Because of ONE DUDE...

@SmoothAction let's loose on him, in a fun way - the guy didn't even get it.  This brings NJC full-circle with us,...  :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

You guys here seriously have no idea how much it means to me that this guy showed up here.  No idea.  I still think it's a plot, and @DNP is involved, somehow.  Whatever the reason, this is one of my closest friends, ever in my life.  That's a pretty small circle, too.  Those that are in it know that.  Unreal brothers, no matter what.

This Eskimo fucker is legit.  As all hell.  :hail:

Last time I was at glamis dunes is when the first quads started to show up. Man that had to be 82-83 timeframe. We were all on 3 wheelers. Only a couple quads  I’m thinking Honda 250’s and 200’s were the big deal then. I don’t remember much of it as it was a long time ago and I spent the whole 3 days in a drunken stupor. I’m surprised I didn’t get killed. Because of that trip i had the fever and I bought a brand new yammi  tri z 250 when I transferred to the east coast.Never made it back out to the desert dunes of glamis though. Tore up some woods in Maine and New Hampshire with that thing when I landed in Kittery Maine on a sub in the shipyard there. Whoooo Weeee that was a while back when I was young and dumb and full of... now I’m just old and stupid and grouchy.... you know get off my fukkin lawn kinda thing.

@SmoothAction  No worries brother,  in truth I've never seen an unmolested thread to date.  Some of the boys are dyslexic and can't recognize a 'G' letter.  So they see un safe in the title,  instead of Gun Safes.  That's where all the broken leg stuff comes in,  and broken stocks,  bottles,  campfires and such.  My family listens dyslexically,  for example.

Me,  "Hey did you see that President Trump sassed the Chinese?"

My wife, "  I need lettuce for a salad."

My sister in law,  "  Has anyone seen the dog?"

My Brother in Law, "  Any beer left?"

My nephew,  " I gotta go for a haircut."

My dog,  " arf."

Me,  " fuggit."

Them,  " he's antisocial."

Edited by RedRiverII