• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gun Safes

I did a search and found no specific topic related to gun safes.  There are comments within other threads,  but none item specific.  I'm in need of a safe.  I've gone to a local safe dealer,  he's the guy that comes up if you do a search online.  He is a nice enough fellow,  but right now I'm not considering a $3000 safe.  I have looked in Tractor Supply's roster and singled out Cannon's 64 gun widebody.  It is on sale from $999 to $899.  I've waited for a month so far for the sale and can wait some more.  I'm looking for a $799 price before I jump.  It is now a discontinued item and perhaps I'll see the $799 price Black Fri.,  or sooner.  Yep,  I have that hound dog capability,  I'll sniff em out and wait for that fkr to drop from the tree.  Unfortunately Florida and humidity go hand in hand.  I can feel the dampness in my garage on certain days.  A safe is now a must,  and a need,  and not a " me want,  me want now " impulse buy.  I have enough of that stuff.  Any other recommendations ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a pair of Bear safes, both their 7230 (72" H x 30" W x 24" D). They're a local (OKC) outfit, and have pics of their safes (when properly bolted to the floor) withstanding an EF-5 tornado.

Having said that, they're pretty proud of what they put out -- I think I paid $2,100ish for each of mine, 8 and 10 years ago.

https://www.bearsafes.net/

Look for safes with 1/8" steel walls, minimum 10 gauge. The thin gauge wall is a joke. 3/8" plate on the door. The big box stores safes have 10-12-14 ga steel walls , a circular saw with a proper blade goes through that like a hot butter knife ...

Also looking for another safe .

That Cannon safe at TS has 14 gauge steel walls composite construction. Looks real good , but keep looking !!!!

Metal-Gauge-Chart-269x300.gif

Edited by MikedaddyH

My safes are all mechanical on the locks. none are pushbutton. I will say one of mine is a cheap model and the combination mechanism sucks bad. Harder to turn and sometimes the tumblers don't work well. buy a quality safe with a good locking mechanism. also check for the locking lugs. pass by the ones that only have three a side or not very big. just don't get one that is a pain to open. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SmoothAction said:

I am in need of a lock-up for my hardware as well. Has anyone considered a utility box? I just moved and funds are tight

so I'm looking for an alternative to traditional gunsafes. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 1.30.12 AM.png

I guess I’m old and slow. What hardware you need in to lock up? Isn’t it attached to your guns? Otherwise it’s just parts right? I could see maybe some receivers or a high dollar barrel. You have a bunch of build stuff laying around like Rsquared does? You could ask him. I guess they could go into something like you pictured. How you thinking you are going to lock it down so it can’t be carted off? I’m just curious what your intentions are.

4 hours ago, SmoothAction said:

I am in need of a lock-up for my hardware as well. Has anyone considered a utility box? I just moved and funds are tight

I know a guy that uses a few of those. Great boxes and if you keep them heavy enough it would take a forklift to run off with it. 

17 hours ago, SmoothAction said:

They're legit, for gun storage.  I'll vouch for them.  :thumbup:

12 hours ago, DNP said:

I know a guy that uses a few of those. Great boxes and if you keep them heavy enough it would take a forklift to run off with it. 

Yep, load ammo in the bottom, and it's heavy as hell.  Nobody is running off with it, especially if you bolt the feet through the floor.  Hell, even if you don't.

@SmoothAction, you can't go wrong with these.  Get that size you listed, too.  I can vouch for them. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Same way you would a safe if you’re putting it somewhere you can do it. Bolt it to the floor. Drill and epoxy some all thread into the floor.  Be careful if you plan to do that on a post-tensionEd slab. If you have one of those, never drill or cut without knowing where the cables are. There are companies you can hire to mark that out or if you’re creative and trust yourself you can locate them on your own.  Hit one and it’s explosive. Google that if you want to see some vids of it happening. 

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

They're legit, for gun storage.  I'll vouch for them.  :thumbup:

Yep, load ammo in the bottom, and it's heavy as hell.  Nobody is running off with it, especially if you bolt the feet through the floor.  Hell, even if you don't.

@SmoothAction, you can't go wrong with these.  Get that size you listed, too.  I can vouch for them. 

I appreciate the support on this. Currently my long and short guns and what little ammo I have are just lying around in the garage, some

on my quad and others in cardboard boxes. Maybe a thief can 'earn' my gear, but a utility box won't let them do so quite as easily. Whether

a $3k gunsafe or a $300 utility box, just knowing everything is under lock and key gives me some peace of mind when I am away from

home. 

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

I can recommend this one - the RIDGID 2048-OS.  :thumbup:

I think @Rsquared used to run the same one in his truck bed, when he was manly enough to DRIVE out here every year.  You know, WAY back when...   :popcorn:

It works.  Well. 

P1080782.thumb.JPG.53c0a2483ffc2dfb4302ae659ac8190b.JPG

It's funny you have that exact box I posted! Orange is my color, such as my quad and tools!

That KTM is cute.  My last race quad is the LT-R450.  I have a ton of that shiit, too, for dirt and street.  My EPIC is a 1986 Honda TRX-250R that I got from @DNP as a rolling chassis and 5 milk crates of parts, 12 years ago.  It's a bad bitch.  People can't understand how it's 34 years old, and still kicks asses up the hill in the dunes...  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That KTM is cute.  My last race quad is the LT-R450.  I have a ton of that shiit, too, for dirt and street.  My EPIC is a 1986 Honda TRX-250R that I got from @DNP as a rolling chassis and 5 milk crates of parts, 12 years ago.  It's a bad bitch.  People can't understand how it's 34 years old, and still kicks asses up the hill in the dunes...  :thumbup:

Cute, huh? And you said, "dunes"? Years back I seen this "cute" LTR450 at the dunes. Guy had tassles and a basket on it, yeah, just like the little girls' bicycles do. Now that, was a cute quad.  

How about lagging throu the back of it into the wall?  There would be a little drywall cleanup when you move, but it would be enough to secure it from the basic thief. If somebody comes for your stuff and truly wants it, they’ll get it no matter what you do. It’s like locking your car. That keeps 99% of the chickenshits out, but that guy who wanted your stereo is gonna break a window. 2 lag bolts, or even 1 really will slow a pair of guys down. Run in from the inside it would have to be open to get at it.  

4 minutes ago, SmoothAction said:

Cute, huh? And you said, "dunes"? Years back I seen this "cute" LTR450 at the dunes. Guy had tassles and a basket on it, yeah, just like the little girls' bicycles do. Now that, was a cute quad.  

It's cute - when dressed up like that.  And it did the job - I don't think anyone with a KTM ever beat me?...   Yeah, I know I was never beat my a KTM. 

Next, is - let's go ride...   :popcorn::thumbup: