• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The hog from hell, 224 Valkyrie vs 400 pound hog

Belt Fed

Ok the hog from hell story. This hog come out on my shooting lane all the way at the end about 150 yards, i thought it was a bear when i seen it. i scoped it and seen it was a big hog. didn’t know how big just knew he was big

I let him walk right at me and about 120 yards i thought, lets see what this 224 will do. all i had was a straight on head shot, so i let er rip and he goes down. this thing is roaring like a bear and blowing like a deer. the bullet went in his jaw and came out the back of his neck.

well i’m thinkin he dead so i ease on down the stand and walk toward him and he pulls his butt up and i get about 20 yards and he gets up blowin blood everywhere, he opens his mouth and shows them tusk and snorts and charges me. well crap, glad i ain’t got no bolt action. i’d be in a world of hurt. so i flip the safety of and shoulder the gun and rip off 3 rounds in him. i just kinda stuck it up to the shoulder and pointed, didn’t have no iron sights and the scope ain’t worth a crap at short distance.

He goes down again, i approach a little and fixin to shoot that big head and he jumps up and takes off for the high grass, i put two more rounds in his side. he keeps going. about that time a guy in the camp that ask me what i shot rode his wheeler down to my stand to help. he had his grand daughter and wanted her to see it. I told him to get his light out and keep his weapon drawn, i turned my weapon light back on and we go in the grass.

He ain’t but 10 yards in it laying down, sucker is still alive and breathing and kicking a little. I said Jimmy, shoot that big bastard in the head with that 45 auto. he fired one round and it didn’t even phase him, he shot another and that one done the trick. He was gonna die anyway but i need him dead to get out of there.

He ask me what i was gonna do with him, i said i’m gonna drag him down skull road and let the yotes have him. he stunk too bad for me to mess with. Jimmy said i’ll take him, i said ok lets get him to camp. now we couldn’t pick that big sucker up to put on a wheeler and it would probably have bottomed out our springs anyway. so we tie a chain and strap and drug this sucker about two miles. His wheeler was hurtin, i could hear it bogging down. he got stuck three times before we got it off the soft dirt wheeler trails.

He hung it up and liked to pulled our skinnin pole down and started skinning it, the hide and that hard fat layer that comes stuck to it was 2 inches thick. this sucker was full of holes. I told him you will have to pull that hide off in strips. he cut one strip and 6 inches wide and i bet it weighed 20 pounds. The good thing that come from this is i didn’t have to put new undies on.

Pics do not do this thing justice, he was huge.

20201123_190450.jpg

20201123_181255.jpg

20201123_181330.jpg

4 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Impressive little round. What was the estimated energy and speed on impact at that range?

I'll try to find the data on that - I've got a bunch of Valk data in my thread on that thing, and it's comparison to the Grendel popular loads.

Kinda figured out what happened on that first shot. the bullet went in his snout and came out the back of his neck. it tore a gaping hole on exit. but it went under the brain. But either way i won't be using it next year. i am going to put a scope on a 308 ar i have and use it.

13 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

Kinda figured out what happened on that first shot. the bullet went in his snout and came out the back of his neck. it tore a gaping hole on exit. but it went under the brain. But either way i won't be using it next year. i am going to put a scope on a 308 ar i have and use it.

Well, at least it's a headshot.  I don't think that the T-Zone shooting works on hogs, because of how damn thick the top of their head is.  Good knowing now where that first one went, though, and what happened.  You keep running into big fuckers like that, and you just need to hunt with the M-2HB.

FN® M2HB-QCB | FN HERSTAL

11 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

oh come on, that made a great story, HOG's are tough, so don't forget your 20 round magazine for that .308. True story, my Dad decided to improve our herd through breeding, and bought two, very high dollar boar's. Beautiful animals, but when the ride home was over, they began to fight, before we even unloaded them... They continued to fight, and fight, and fight, we tried to separate them, but the only thing worse than a hog fight is probably "horse breeding", (that's the ugliest damn thing I've ever seen in my life)! and you dam sho don't want to get in the middle of that...

Long story short, it was one very expensive day for the old man, those basker's fought to the death, when it was all said and done, they both dropped over DEAD!

You got off easy, and provided us with a lot of entertainment, I think you need a "Dirty Little Thirty"

That is a big hog, and I've seen some big domestic hogs, bottom line, I'd prolly start with a .30 cal, and work my way up! LOL, I wish I had that on tape!

28 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Well, at least it's a headshot.  I don't think that the T-Zone shooting works on hogs, because of how damn thick the top of their head is.  Good knowing now where that first one went, though, and what happened.  You keep running into big fuckers like that, and you just need to hunt with the M-2HB.

FN® M2HB-QCB | FN HERSTAL

Yeah, here we go, 98 will be your back-up. I know its a little scary, but you'll be fine! just wear your earplugs, lol, when that big hog charges you and 98, he will open up on all that ham and  prolly melt that barrel!

that would make a great movie, you guys should have TV show!

2 minutes ago, billymagg said:

Yeah, here we go, 98 will be your back-up. I know its a little scary, but you'll be fine! just wear your earplugs, lol, when that big hog charges you and 98, he will open up on all that ham and  prolly melt that barrel!

that would make a great movie, you guys should have TV show!

Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE to get a hog like that with the M-2!!!   We'd go pick it up with tweezers, q-tips and zip-lock bags...   :banana:

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE to get a hog like that with the M-2!!!   We'd go pick it up with tweezers, q-tips and zip-lock bags...   :banana:

Yeah! we all would, I'd just like to get my "Dirty Little Thirty" running, that thing handles like a Merkel over and under, perfect for "wing shooting" wild boar!  I did shoot "Miss Wilson" yesterday, but my 1951 FN 98 Mauser in .270  Winchester showed us both how its done! LOL My little 98 Husky 4100 Lightweight shoots awesome too, I laid down some amazing groups with that thing this summer, once I put that limb saver butt pad on her, but I never realized how bad the trigger is on that thing!