• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ask 98Z5V a question?, he knows almost anything you might care to know!

billymagg

53 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

Good info, but I've determined from this thread that I've been Elk hunting in the WRONG place!.......LOL....

I have been trying to lure you guys here for years the hunting is awesome!

quote! Brother, pick the Blonde.  Initially, it's alot safer - just make sure the Blonde isn't batshiit crazy.  The Redhead is already batshiit crazy, that's a given.  You pick the Redhead, you may never come back from that hunt.  I'm just sayin'...   :popcorn:   Picking the Blonde gives you a chance of getting back.  She might even hunt with you.  The Redhead will HUNT YOU... 

I learned that on this website by reading your stuff, I want you to know even if I am a old broke down Fuker I pay attention!

Edited by Magwa

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, willbird said:

if I put instant coffee in a microwave, how far back in time do I go ??

Actually the mid year 1964 model was still built by Raytheon, the 1967 early to mid year "Amana Radar Range" is also conducive to time travel, however after the TET offensive? (the real purpose of the TET offensive in early 1968 was to capture and spirit away the super Top Secret Amana Radar Range, in my Dad's office in the US Embassy in Saigon, MACVSOG's super secret headquarter's), my Dad was so pissed he had to drink cold coffee for the rest of his tour, he actually shaved his red mustache, and smoked 2 packs of Winston's a day... my Dad did indeed have a $100,000 bounty on his head, and he did indeed work for MACVSOG and fly the MC-130E in country! 

For those of you concerned, we were able to interdict and destroy that "AMANA RADAR RANGE" on its way back to Hanoi on the Ho Chi Minn trail by a team "Halo Dropped" to take it out!!

You can now read about MACV, but this actually really true story about my DAD's cold coffee is really, really, true, but still classified!

6 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

God bless your dad brother 🍺🍺🇺🇸

Thank you my friend, I only learned of some of what my Dad was doing, when I was a Hospice Chaplain. Sitting with a retired school teacher's daughter, as she, the school teacher was passing. The daughter and I were chatting, when I related my Dad had passed from "multiple myeloma". She asked what he did, and I told her he was an Air Force Pilot. Then she did what no woman has ever done, she asked what did he fly?? when I said the C-130, She said I design radar for the C-130, I said "No you don't", she said "Yes, I Do!", and I asked why she was designing radar for a 50 year old at that time airframe??? she stated I design "terrain following radar". When I related that my Dad flew a 130 in Vietnam with terrain following radar, she said "That was the MC-130E Combat Talon 1",,, (at the time it was referred to as "Rivet Yard or Heavy Chain" in CIA nomenclature), she went on, "I am designing radar for the "Combat Talon II".

I went home and sure enough, there was the "Blackbird" as my Dad called it... makes me cry thinking about it.  One night at the farm before my Dad passed, I had been helping him, and my Mom had fixed steak and fried potatoes, as only she could, and my Dad had a book laying on the table, he passed it to me and said here, I want you to read this, this is a little bit about what I was doing in Vietnam.

I believe it was John Plaster's book about MACV, it had a catchy title, I'll have to see if I can find it?? I've moved about 4 times since my Dad gave me the book! My Dad NEVER talked about any of that, I would occasionally over hear little bits and pieces if one of his flying buddies from the past came by the farm, but until he gave me that book, I had NO idea. Before he went to Vietnam, we went to Hurlburt for a two week transition into the C-123??? my DAD hated that airplane, but what I found out later researching, is that 4 of the Heavy Chain birds were at Hurlburt, 4 at Pope AFB, and 4 in Taiwan, my Dad had turned down a two year assignment to Taiwan before he went to Vietnam.. (my Mom did not want to move back to the Far East).

So Thank you, my Dad was a very down to earth, humble, Patriot, a straight shooter, he started out as an Airman radio operator on the C-119, that chick on her very tough day, made my day, one of my best days in 5 years as a Hospice Chaplain, I had a lot of great days, and met some amazing people.. but I will never forget that day.

your avatar bears a striking resemblance to the MACVSOG patch.

48 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Put on a pair of socks Doc you'll be ok, you could have woken up to this. 

IMG_20210213_092953903.jpg

IMG_20210213_093034068.jpg

Yep, that's what I've got, sposed to be -7 tommorow overnight, taking Mollie and Arlie to the airport in St. Louis here shortly, she's looking forward to getting home to 73 degrees today in Tuscon, course she will miss her old man, and I will miss Mollie and Arlie, whom she named after my DAD, bless her heart...

2 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Those men and women that always suffered the wages of war were always humble and unassuming in my experience. God bless them all. 🍺🍺🇺🇸

Amen Brother, they were cut from a different cloth, Grandma Maggart died when my Dad was 12, he and his Brother Frank went into the orphanage in Franklin, TN, my Aunt Flo went to stay with one of my Grandpa's Lady friends... He helped everybody, and everybody helped him.. I never saw a single soul take advantage of my Dad. He never took advantage of anyone else either. He was larger than life itself,  and left a chasm when he passed.

"I have been trying to lure you guys here for years the hunting is awesome!"

Hunting in most of the Western States, at least for big game is NOT user friendly for us  (coming from out of State).  It's gotten so complicated these days (takes many hours to read and somewhat understand the regulations) that it's difficult if not nearly impossible to free lance a hunt in Colorado, for example.  Oh, you can do tons of research, and even get some inside info, as there are still some areas where you can purchase over the counter bull tags, but it really takes quite a few trips into any area to figure things out and hunting on Public land is ALWAYS a crap-shoot.

Some States also require a guide into "wilderness areas", so that puts us out or hiring an outfitter since we don't have any contacts.  Anyhow, a bit off topic so I'll save my lack of enthusiasm for that topic for another place and time, but we still love to go and have been for over 20 years now, even if we spend a good bit of time walking for miles seeing nothing, trout fishing, sitting around a camp fire telling lies and drinking copious amounts of bourbon!..........Cliff

4 hours ago, unforgiven said:

It's never good bye, it's we will see you later ❤️

Yes Sir! I am a firm believer in the Lord, my DAD kneeled beside his bed and prayed, every night! he was a Deacon in our church, a very proud day for me to see him "ordained", he very, very seldom ever uttered a curse, he retired to the farm and we raised corn, soybeans, beef cattle, and hogs, if hogs don't make you cuss, nothing will!

Having said that, my Dad fought his cancer with every ounce of his being, his Air Force Dr. referred him for a stem cell transplant to Barnes Hospital in St Louis, he was 67, they told him he was to old and they couldn't justify the cost... Dr. Lottwada a fine Christian man, got on the phone to his buddies at Wilford Hall in San Antonio, the USAF flew my Dad down there, and they did a stem cell transplant... A little Air Force Major was his Dr. he said I want you to take your Dad home tommorow, to the BOQ, he needs to be out of this hospital and all these germs.. that after 2 days of massive chemo to kill everything.... but the medical team said NO!

I met the Major in the hall, he said you're taking your Dad home today, I said No Sir, they said he couldn't go home.... he said "I said your taking your Dad home today", and I said YES SIR, I'm taking my DAD home today, he said, I'm gonna give him two units of blood and then you're going to take him home... That was the most amazing team of Dr.s and even a very Sweet Pretty Christian Social Worker, they all loved my Dad, and in a month he came home to the farm for another amazing 4 years, and worked every day, until a few days before he passed! thanks to the Lord and the wonderful love and care he received from USAF... a young Air Force kid with a wife and kids did not make it, it broke my Dad's heart, as they were both patients together at Scott AFB..

2 hours ago, Cliff R said:

"I have been trying to lure you guys here for years the hunting is awesome!"

Hunting in most of the Western States, at least for big game is NOT user friendly for us  (coming from out of State).  It's gotten so complicated these days (takes many hours to read and somewhat understand the regulations) that it's difficult if not nearly impossible to free lance a hunt in Colorado, for example.  Oh, you can do tons of research, and even get some inside info, as there are still some areas where you can purchase over the counter bull tags, but it really takes quite a few trips into any area to figure things out and hunting on Public land is ALWAYS a crap-shoot.

Some States also require a guide into "wilderness areas", so that puts us out or hiring an outfitter since we don't have any contacts.  Anyhow, a bit off topic so I'll save my lack of enthusiasm for that topic for another place and time, but we still love to go and have been for over 20 years now, even if we spend a good bit of time walking for miles seeing nothing, trout fishing, sitting around a camp fire telling lies and drinking copious amounts of bourbon!..........Cliff

Amen, they cal it hunting, not shooting!! lol, but its all good!

On 2/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, billymagg said:

Now, back to the AR-10 carbine, was the buffer tube 7" or 7 5/8"s to start with? would Stoner have been responsible for Colt's carbine development??

The AR-10 Carbine buffer was developed first.  They needed to keep it the same weight as the rifle buffer, but make it shorter.  Tungsten was the answer, and with the outer body still made of aluminum, three tungsten sliding weights of the appropriate length came up to the same weight as the rifle buffer.  After THAT, it was determined that the receiver extension had to be 7 5/8" internal depth.  The same operating spring was able to be used.

AR15 Carbine recoil systems came along later, the length was kept at 3.250" long, and the receiver extension was spec'd out to be 6 15/16" internal depth.  That buffer needed to be lighter than 5.4oz on the original Carbines, so the tungsten weights were replaced with lighter steel weights.  The AR15 needed it's own design for a recoil spring, because the rifle spring was far too long.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:23 AM, Armed Eye Doc said:

Dear @98Z5V,

Who gave me @shepp's weather?

Screenshot_20210213-091024.thumb.png.b5ea1463b6af677c6defe177b58dca40.png

Signed,

Frozen in Texas

Well, it certainly wasn't Al Gore, and his mysterious Global Warming that did that to you...

GOD did that to you, just to remind you that he is still in charge.  

You're in his hands now...   Wrap up...   :thumbup:

• 5 months later...

Since it appears that this is the thread in which to find answers to life's pressing questions...   this one has been bothering me... 

"If a man speaks in the forest, and his wife is not there to hear him...   is he still wrong?"