• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ask 98Z5V a question?, he knows almost anything you might care to know!

billymagg

Okay, I'm shocked beyond words that nobody has posted this thread already!

98, the question is??? when did Eugene Stoner build the first AR-10 carbine, and what were the full specs?? buffer tube length, etc, etc...

WARNING!!!! this could be a one off, or it could turn into a regular thang???? just depends on what his temperature is a the moment.......

Edited by billymagg
posted WARNING!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, willbird said:

if I put instant coffee in a microwave, how far back in time do I go ??

Well I remember doing that. It was before them coffee machines called Mr. Coffee wasn't it?Seems that I remember them Litton Radar ovens came out back in the early 1970s

44 minutes ago, Magwa said:

OK if I am elk hunting and come up on a Redhead and a Blonde fighting on the ground and they tell me I can have the winner to do with what i want, and the redhead wins I should take the looser right ? or should i just run!

I was going to say that is easy to answer, but then I remembered that you could also resume hunting, and now it's a really difficult question again.

15 hours ago, billymagg said:

98, the question is??? when did Eugene Stoner build the first AR-10 carbine, and what were the full specs?? buffer tube length, etc, etc...

WARNING!!!! this could be a one off, or it could turn into a regular thang???? just depends on what his temperature is a the moment.......

In 1952, George Sullivan and Charles Dorchester started the design on a new rifle, under the company "S-F Projects."  In October 1954, Richard Boutelle acquired S-F Projects.  Richard was the President of the Fairchild Engine and Aircraft Corporation.  He renamed the firearms part of the company "Armalite."  Shortly thereafter, Eugene Stoner was brought on board, and his first design was in 30-06, the X-01.  For the next couple years, the X-02 and X-03 were prototyped, moved to 7.62x 51mm,and the X-03 is what we know as the "first AR-10."

ar10_2-armalite-ar-10a-0003.jpg

By 1956, it was in the Army Trials. 

ar10_3-12470-saa1.jpg?width=553&height=4

Rifle Recoil System, Rifle Gas System, with barrel and gas system specs much like what Armalite sticks to to this day (minus modern materials) , and the gas system and recoil system are proven. 

12 hours ago, willbird said:

if I put instant coffee in a microwave, how far back in time do I go ??

This isn't Back To The Future, and nothing will happen, unless you can get that microwave to 88 mph...   If you can do that, then THAT is where the magic happens...   :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Magwa said:

OK if I am elk hunting and come up on a Redhead and a Blonde fighting on the ground and they tell me I can have the winner to do with what i want, and the redhead wins I should take the looser right ? or should i just run!

Brother, pick the Blonde.  Initially, it's alot safer - just make sure the Blonde isn't batshiit crazy.  The Redhead is already batshiit crazy, that's a given.  You pick the Redhead, you may never come back from that hunt.  I'm just sayin'...   :popcorn:   Picking the Blonde gives you a chance of getting back.  She might even hunt with you.  The Redhead will HUNT YOU... 

2 hours ago, Rsquared said:

When I'm lining my walls with tin foil (to keep the secret radio signals out), should I use yellow or brown mustard as the glue?

Nope.  Gorilla Glue.  That shiit has some secret ingredients in it, that also help reflect RF.  Trust me. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, dpete said:

If someone flies by "the seat of his pants" does the stick or steering yoke of the plane need disinfecting if he farts?

The stick.  If he's really "flying by the seat of his pants,"  Then those hands aren't coming off that yoke, for ANYTHING.  He's out of control, bouncing around the aircraft cockpit - and it's the stick, that is going up his ass - not the yoke.  There's a deathgrip on that yoke already, so that item is "unavailable"...  

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

What happens if you tell a hermaphrodite to go screw themself? In theory, it's more likely that they actually could than the average person....

It's completely plausible.  I have pics, if you want them. 

1 hour ago, DNP said:

Is the glass half full, half empty, or twice the size it needs to be?

You need to refill your beer, or Old Fashioned, is what that's telling you... 

48 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

How would a chair be designed if our knees bent the other way?

That's a good one, right there, and I have no fucking idea...   :lmao:

46 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

If the grasshoppers had tommy guns would the birds still eat them?

Hell no, the birds would be aerial-warfare victims, if we get to that.  We're also on trouble, as humans.  How damn fast-on-the-trigger do we need to be to hit a flying grasshopper?...  :embarrassed:

17 hours ago, billymagg said:

98, the question is??? when did Eugene Stoner build the first AR-10 carbine, and what were the full specs??

I guess I didn't answer your question correctly, initially.  The original Amalite never built the AR-10 Carbine.  That development didn't come until later.  In 1961, Stoner left Armalite, and went to Colt.  All that carbine development of the rifle systems, for both AR-10s and AR15s, was under Colt.  Finding Colt history on when exactly what was developed, by date, is hard to do.  Colt had the .gov contract for the M16 then... "All Secret Colt Shiit" during that era. 

7 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

How would a chair be designed if our knees bent the other way?

By an Engineer just like a regular chair, weirdo....

On a side note, knees that "bend the other way" could mean that they bend to the side rather than just to the front or rear, in which case we'd walk like crabs and stubbing your toes wouldn't be as painful.

23 hours ago, billymagg said:

Ahhh yes, now I'm beginning to get the picture why no one has been dumb enough to start this thread,,,, but 98 you had a hell of a first day,  and the answers where even better than the questions....

Now, back to the AR-10 carbine, was the buffer tube 7" or 7 5/8"s to start with? would Stoner have been responsible for Colt's carbine development??

and for you guys??? I'm thinking we need to hire a Redhead therapist for some of you gents, I didn't realize mental hospitals allowed their patients to populate .308 AR Forum???

guess that's why this place is so popular??? 

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I guess I didn't answer your question correctly, initially.  The original Amalite never built the AR-10 Carbine.  That development didn't come until later.  In 1961, Stoner left Armalite, and went to Colt.  All that carbine development of the rifle systems, for both AR-10s and AR15s, was under Colt.  Finding Colt history on when exactly what was developed, by date, is hard to do.  Colt had the .gov contract for the M16 then... "All Secret Colt Shiit" during that era. 

Thank you! more questions to follow!