• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I never thought I'd say this... Glock.

98Z5V

never, EVER, thought I'd ever state this, in the past. I owe my homage to @StainTrain...  :hail:  He tried to school me, but I never listened...   Then...  :bitchslap:

This might be the perfect pistol, striker fired pistol.  I know, the 1911 is the perfect hammer-fired pistol.  Oh, do I know that well. I'm deeeep into Kimber for that platform.

There are 34 parts in a Glock.  I've come to know this over time (quite painfully).  This is the AK-47 of the pistol world.  It just can't even get more simple, for what it has to do, in a striker-fired pistol.  There's nothing unnecessary, nothing bling, nothing extra.  It's the bare minimum of parts to make a striker-fired pistol work, reliably.  Gaston Glock was a genius.

18 hours ago, blue109 said:

I love the KISS. if I buy any more pistols....they will be bare bones stock glocks.

I'm down with 5 of these things now - it's a sickness.

2 are factory pistols. the 19X is real no-kidding bone-stock. As it came.  The 43X is internally bone-stock, but I put some tritium night sights on it - it's my carry gun, my daily.  I won't have a carry gun that doesn't have night sights.  That 43X was converted over to the Shield Arms metal mag catch to run the Shield 15-rd steel mags for it.  So, I can carry a spare 15-rd, 1 in the chamber, the 15 in the gun, and have 31 on me -in a small-motherfucker package.  Nothing to dislike on that one... 

Carry guns for me have to run 500 rounds straight, ZERO anything, malfs, stoppages - NOTHING, before it's a carry.  Then it needs tritium sights.  That little fucker 43X pulled that off in 500 rounds exactly. Same with the 19X.  Flawless. 

That was a baaad road, that 19X... I bought that bitch Blue Label, because GunPusher John had it.  Glock Blue Label Program is fuckkin' SWEET!  You get Glocks, cheaper than gun dealers get Glocks.  Mil/LEO program for Blue Label qualification.  Dirt cheap.

That 19X led into 3 P80 lowers (thanks, @MikedaddyH, you jackass!  :thefinger:)...  built up on Gen 3 stuff.  Two run, one still needs a slide assembly. 

It really is a sickness, once you see them run, run them, and shoot the fuk out of them.  It just ain't right.  It really is the AK of the pistol world. 

I'm thinking about buying another 19X, just to mod the fuk out of it...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:
23 hours ago, Lane said:

Do you play the game; World of Guns?

Never heard of it, man.  

Looks like a lot of that video came from the video game. You can get it on Android and Apple devices, as well as Steam for PC and Mac, etc. 

I've never purchased any of the packages. But if you play the quiz every hour to identify guns you get points. It was SUPER helpful for me in terms of understanding the build of an AK for example. It lets you manipulate and disassemble/reassemble firearms in 3D. It's nice to be able to "play with" guns I can't have or don't currently own. Or just to inspect the inner workings of a large number of firearms.

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2021 at 10:22 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm down with 5 of these things now - it's a sickness.

2 are factory pistols. the 19X is real no-kidding bone-stock. As it came.  The 43X is internally bone-stock, but I put some tritium night sights on it - it's my carry gun, my daily.  I won't have a carry gun that doesn't have night sights.  That 43X was converted over to the Shield Arms metal mag catch to run the Shield 15-rd steel mags for it.  So, I can carry a spare 15-rd, 1 in the chamber, the 15 in the gun, and have 31 on me -in a small-motherfucker package.  Nothing to dislike on that one... 

Carry guns for me have to run 500 rounds straight, ZERO anything, malfs, stoppages - NOTHING, before it's a carry.  Then it needs tritium sights.  That little fucker 43X pulled that off in 500 rounds exactly. Same with the 19X.  Flawless. 

That was a baaad road, that 19X... I bought that bitch Blue Label, because GunPusher John had it.  Glock Blue Label Program is fuckkin' SWEET!  You get Glocks, cheaper than gun dealers get Glocks.  Mil/LEO program for Blue Label qualification.  Dirt cheap.

That 19X led into 3 P80 lowers (thanks, @MikedaddyH, you jackass!  :thefinger:)...  built up on Gen 3 stuff.  Two run, one still needs a slide assembly. 

It really is a sickness, once you see them run, run them, and shoot the fuk out of them.  It just ain't right.  It really is the AK of the pistol world. 

I'm thinking about buying another 19X, just to mod the fuk out of it...   :lmao:

You make me feel like a KGB agent ! 

Just the meer thought of a Glock and your cussing at me ! 

My work is done ! Lol 🤣

Edited by MikedaddyH

Well boys I have assembled 60 Glocks. From bone stock to crazy expensive race parts. And a bunch of pretty guns. I have my formula down , try to keep it close to stock as possible, add 2 or 3 extended parts. Change the ejector( stock one is cheap metal) and upgrade the recoil spring when needed. That's it. If you do more your just throwing money at it.

And I am NOT a fanboy I am just practical .

• 5 months later...

Anyone have a back to back opinion between P80 glocks and real glocks? I was set to order a backup P80 G19 frame this weekend when all of the sudden my usual stores now have a "No sales to Maryland" clause overnight. We have a ban taking place in June for purchases, but not yet so I dont know what gives on already being denied purchases. Looking like its time to do an HQL for future purchases, or move out of my own forsaken state. But i'd still like another 19 frame as a backup or eventually 2nd complete piece with maybe a 22lr conversion upper for my girls to train with. Sorry if this was too political.........really was Glock curious between the factory and p80's

Technically an 80% still can be purchased and built legally until June 1 2022, but has to be serialized and registered June 2023, is how we are reading it. Hence my aggravation at a few places jumping the gun and denying purchases beforehand. This is the only pistol we’ve got and wanted a 2nd with parts interchangeability/ease of crossover if we end up with a stock Glock down the road if I can’t find another 80 by next month

Grip angle is something I wasn't thinking about, but now that its mentioned, I now remember on another forum awhile back somebody saying the same that they liked the p80 angle better. This is my first and only pistol and Ive only ever shot a buddys various pistols 20+ years and only a few times. Always shot rifles and shotguns. So this one is really my learner and the most trigger time only 200+/- rounds now since building it this past September, so nothing real to judge it by so im loving it for what it is..........I guess May 32nd Im just going to melt down the polymer...................................

42 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

The P80 frames have a 1911 grip angle.  I have a couple factory Glocks, and 3 P80 builds.  I do like the P80 grip angle better, but I come from 1911 roots, too.

How does that work with glock mags? Do they alter the angle of the grip but keep the actual well at the glock angle?

• 11 months later...

Reviving a year old thread.

I have owned two Glocks, a 30 .45 ACP 'Compact' w/ CrimsonTrace grips that only lasted one range trip and a model 17 OD 9mm full size that I still have.

I got the 30 in a 5+ gun deal and although I really like .45 ACP guns I just didn't warm up to the gun.
I traded it to another guy helping out at the gunshop for what I had in it counting DROS fees and he threw in a walnut M1A stock.

The 17 is a great gun, even if it has the wrong grip angle.
I've shot a lot of Glocks over the years in 4 different calibers and 3 or 4 different configurations not counting generation changes.
I think the 9mm Glocks are good to go. The more they morph away from the 17 & 19 the less 'Perfect' they are.
That said, I might get a 20, some time eventually, but if it was sitting right next to a Kimber 10mm I'd be tempted to get the Kimber even though the Kimber costs twice as much.

• 2 weeks later...

So that I can be better edumacted, is it true that Glocks don't support the case all the way back once in battery?  I was at the range with a buddy of mine that was using reloads in once-fired brass and in three mags, two cases split on him near the rim.  I know there could be many reasons for this, but I seem to remember the back end of the round being unsupported.

I've never been a Glock fan, but I try not to talk shit about them because I don't own any.  I've thought about getting one or two just so I can form mt own opinions of the platform, haven't yet though.

My two cents from what I've encountered and read over the years:

In an attempt to increase feeding reliability Glock had a more 'agressive' feed ramp into the chamber. Most semi auto handguns have some amount of this and it's one of the reasons why brass cases thicken up toward the base. Glock exaggerated it about as much as they could get away with. The assumption being that the military does NOT use reloaded ammunition. First run brass is therefore more robust and will tend to hold up to the somewhat generous chamber dimensions and ramp cut away of the chamber that Glock chose to use. Essentially Glock optimized for his first contract and had little to no insight as to the American shooting market and especially the reloading market. Glock chambers often result in brass stretching into the feed ramp area. Such brass should not be reused as resizing it does NOT put the strength back into that area although it may iron the bulge out.

Fast forward to the 40 S&W, Glock did more or less the same chamber cuts on this high pressure round. About the same time Federal put out some cases that were NOT reinforced as much around the case head. In addition there appears to have been a situation with PMC and maybe other factory ammo where the variation of powder loaded in the cases may have exceeded spec. There was a rash of brass failures from the Fed brass, some factory overloads, and some factory remanufactured ammo was not up to spec in several calibers (in particular a company based in FL that is no longer in operation) and some firearms (and possibly hands) were damaged as a result.

Another couple potential factors in some of the KBs are:
1. That the polygonal rifeling use by Glock does not tolerate lead bullets well. There were reports that lead bullets may leave residue in the Glock barrels and that could result in pressure rise rather rapidly. (This can happen in ANY barrel and I've seen customers come in with barrels that were leaded to the point you wonder why they didn't blow up and some that did.)
2. Bullet setback from the bullet nose impacting the feed ramp during the loading cycle or improper neck tension of the brass will also cause a pressure rise.
Either of these combined with the less supported chamber could result in brass failure.

Glock has supposedly tightened up their chamber specs at least somewhat and don't use quite as open feed ramp as they started out with. They have also become VERY specific about their reload warnings and their lead bullet warnings. Glock has further recommended that factory new ammunition be chambered no more than two times before being fired. IF the same round is loaded and unloaded twice without firing Glock specifies it be discarded. Federal has revamped their 40 brass. PMC has supposedly invested in high speed precision weighing machinery that checks each charge.

Most folks recommend that you change out your barrel to an aftermarket one with traditional rifeling if you are going to shoot lead out of it. Some recommend the practice for any reloads.

Lee manufactures a 'bulge buster kit' Redding has a similar pass through die. Both of these are designed to return the case to spec dimensions even near the head. There's a lot of reloaders out there using them to iron out the obviously bulged brass that comes from some of the Glock handguns. Trying to save a penny they are courting a case failure and possibly a blown up gun.

Edited by StarWolf

Another note on reloading.
I heard one of the ammo or reloading companies did a survey of reloaders regarding how many times they would reuse brass. Apparently they assumed folks would keep track and ditch the brass after several reloads. There are a few reloaders who do that but.. there are far more who will reload the brass as many times as they can until and unless it is beyond obvious that the brass is done. We are talking reload it until the case head separates, until the case mount cracks, until a bullet in the case will fall out while trying to load it or until there's a pinhole in the case wall plasma cutting the firearm chamber.

IMO there's a LOT of guys out there using those pass through dies to iron out pregnant brass cases.

I have found I'm not able to keep track of the number of times a case is fired from a semi auto. I have also found it generally isn't worth it trying to track handgun cycles. I have a few inspection techniques for rifle brass to avoid potential failure. I'm pretty particular about my reloading. I have been avoiding most commercial reloads for decades. Too many impacted bullets, too many light loads, too many beat up rims that barely fit in a magazine and don't fit in a shell holder. After one box of 45 ammo from those guys in FL I pretty much gave up commercial reloads as a bad deal.