• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pissed Off at my new Rifle, Need Help

PalmBeach308

So yesterday i took my new 308 build to the range to zero it in. And i noticed that after every round i had to slap the BCG home, by hitting the side charging handle after about 30 rounds it would only happen after every 6th round. I had the BCG oiled up but not heavy lubricated. Can someone point me in the right direction as to fix this issue. 

On 2/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, PalmBeach308 said:

So yesterday i took my new 308 build to the range to zero it in. And i noticed that after every round i had to slap the BCG home, by hitting the side charging handle after about 30 rounds it would only happen after every 6th round. I had the BCG oiled up but not heavy lubricated. Can someone point me in the right direction as to fix this issue. 

Go heavier on the oil, dripping wet is fantastic. Keep doing what you're doing and be patient, these bigger ARs require a bit of break-in.

Going to need a lot more info to get better responses. Hopefully someone can link the “water boarding” thread…I can’t at the moment. Basically describes the things you’re going to get asked. Parts list, measurements of things like the internal of the buffer tube, length of the buffer and spring, weight of the buffer etc. 

3 minutes ago, DNP said:

Going to need a lot more info to get better responses. Hopefully someone can link the “water boarding” thread…I can’t at the moment. Basically describes the things you’re going to get asked. Parts list, measurements of things like the internal of the buffer tube, length of the buffer and spring, weight of the buffer etc. 

Bear Creek .308 15"Mlock Gen 2 and PSA AR10 Lower Gen3. I went with the PSA lower becasue bear creeks site said they were compatable. I ran remington 167 grain ammo

On 2/7/2022 at 1:44 PM, PalmBeach308 said:

Dear rifle shooting friend (Palmbeacher) 

Don't pay attention to what these experts are telling you about oiling up the what's-a-ma-calllit Bolt thingie, and all that technical stuff.  Just send it to me in a plain wrapped package by Fedex, tell them it is a tractor axle for a 2040 John Deere,  (Don't bother to insure it, I have never had an axle not arrive on time)

Fedex won't ship it if they know it is a firearm, even though it isn't working 100% I think I can fix it from some of my parts I got on Ebay, You can PM me to get my picking up place for packages.  I guess by now you realize that I am just joshing you. I am just an old geezer with too little to do except be a stay at home dude. These younger guys all know what they are talking about, do what they tell you to do. I bet your rifle will shoot fine after a 100 rounds.

Yep, PalmBeach, gonna need a full list of parts, who made them/sold them to you, and some key dimensions on recoil system and gas system parts/sizes.

Gotta start there, otherwise, we're blindfolded and throwing the darts at the dartboard...

On 2/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, mrmackc said:

Fedex won't ship it if they know it is a firearm, even though it isn't working 100%

I know your post was in jest, but this is patently false.  Its USPS that won't ship guns.  Fed Ex no problemo!  I deliver them all the time to gun shops and individual FFLs.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:58 AM, dpete said:

I know your post was in jest, but this is patently false.  Its USPS that won't ship guns.  Fed Ex no problemo!  I deliver them all the time to gun shops and individual FFLs.

Glad to hear that a couple of vendors I use wouldn't ship Fedex saying Fedex won't ship them.

• 2 weeks later...

I would NOT for any reason ship a firearm or anything that could be damaged or you really care about thru USPS, they will break it or loose it!

Seriously, they are fine for letters, envelopes, magazines/books,  and small light weight (less that 2 pound) items that are not easily damaged but for sure don't use them for larger items, and if you do make sure it's packed up well enough to survive a fall from a three story building!.......FWIW.....

1 hour ago, Cliff R said:

I would NOT for any reason ship a firearm or anything that could be damaged or you really care about thru USPS, they will break it or loose it!

Literally thousands and thousands of oddball packages shipped through the post office and only one time did they loose an item on me, a 22 pound sledge hammer so not sure how that ends up lost. Maybe I'm lucky or just know how to pack schit.

On new builds or new buys I still like starting with soaking my BCG in Mobile one synthetic oil 30 wt I keep it submerged in the stuff for at least two weeks and have it in there when not shooting the first few weeks after a couple weeks it just gets slick and the oil bonds to the metal makes it super easy to clean and works well in the gun also for new builds or buys I use it throughout the weapon inside upper on all moving parts once the parts are married just oil it once in a while.