• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SFAR from Ruger, Another Small Frame .308

jtallen83

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 8:10 AM, jtallen83 said:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/09/06/ruger-small-frame-autoloading-rifle/

Says they will be in stores soon, wonder if they will ship with 20 round mags...........

I bears an uncanny resemblance to the DPMS GII, when they attempted a small frame 308 back in 14 or 15. It was a neat idea, but failed miserably as nobody cared about a lighter AR308, and I doubt they will now either. 

This release just helps further muddy the large format world, by adding yet another AR308 with no compatibly with the rest.  There is zero brain power running the 308 market.  The large format market could rival the AR15 if they'd just standardize the dimensions, and settle on one design.

While I'm sure its a decent gun, it will ultimately be forgotten and become the firearms version of the the Sony Betamax and the RCA Laser Disc. oh and lets not forget LoJack lol

dpms_gii-recon_right.jpg

2 hours ago, E5232 said:

It was a neat idea, but failed miserably as nobody cared about a lighter AR308

That and the proliferation of calibers for the AR-15 that close the gap with the .308 does make these hybrids much less appealing. If you can get the oomph from a lighter, better standardized platform why bother. It's always interesting to find out what parts are truly proprietary, Sig called their bolt for the 716 proprietary but it is running ammo out of a DPMS based barrel under direct impingement instead of the piston system it comes from....... I guess it didn't come from just the 716 then, wonder what ruger did?

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

That and the proliferation of calibers for the AR-15 that close the gap with the .308 does make these hybrids much less appealing. If you can get the oomph from a lighter, better standardized platform why bother. It's always interesting to find out what parts are truly proprietary, Sig called their bolt for the 716 proprietary but it is running ammo out of a DPMS based barrel under direct impingement instead of the piston system it comes from....... I guess it didn't come from just the 716 then, wonder what ruger did?

Do you know anything about Moriarti Armaments? or know anyone that bought stuff from them?  Let me know because a have a crazy story regarding them.

5 hours ago, E5232 said:

Do you know anything about Moriarti Armaments? or know anyone that bought stuff from them?

I bought a 7.62x39 build kit from them when they first started on this forum.  I have no complaints with my transaction or with what I received from them.  However, that was several years ago. 

12 hours ago, Sisco said:

Well, we are waiting…….

They have a live chat on their site and i was interested in a 243 upper they had, but they were out of lowers, first I asked when they'd be back in stock and he said he had no clue, then i asked If their upper would mate up with  any other brand, and he replied , no ide

a and really don't care

Then he said why don't i buy the complete  gun they had in stock. which I saw, but didn't have the barrel i wanted it was anodized in red which killed it. told him it wasn't my taste, then he said, go fornicate yourself then you cheap fornicate, you're just wasting my time. i asked him if he treated every potential customer the same way, and he replied back, We don't need your business and anyone else that has a problem can go shop somewhere else too.

So i told him thanks for the chat and hope you go broke you scumbag. Then  l moved on, but the chat session must have still be open because around 15 minutes later he replied back, that product speaks for itself and i wasn't worthy buying from them anyway. and also sent the address of the company and said if I had the balls I should come there  for the beating the  I 

The whole exchange. 

It was just plain crazy. I went and did some searching for reviews,  and just on google alone they  have dozens complaints. So I was just wondering if anyone else had a run with them  or has heard of similar bad  attitude? 

This was so over the top that i'm puzzled how as to why? and how they manage to keep the door open at all.

9 hours ago, E5232 said:

They have a live chat on their site and i was interested in a 243 upper they had, but they were out of lowers, first I asked when they'd be back in stock and he said he had no clue, then i asked If their upper would mate up with  any other brand, and he replied , no ide

a and really don't care

Then he said why don't i buy the complete  gun they had in stock. which I saw, but didn't have the barrel i wanted it was anodized in red which killed it. told him it wasn't my taste, then he said, go fornicate yourself then you cheap fornicate, you're just wasting my time. i asked him if he treated every potential customer the same way, and he replied back, We don't need your business and anyone else that has a problem can go shop somewhere else too.

So i told him thanks for the chat and hope you go broke you scumbag. Then  l moved on, but the chat session must have still be open because around 15 minutes later he replied back, that product speaks for itself and i wasn't worthy buying from them anyway. and also sent the address of the company and said if I had the balls I should come there  for the beating the  I 

The whole exchange. 

It was just plain crazy. I went and did some searching for reviews,  and just on google alone they  have dozens complaints. So I was just wondering if anyone else had a run with them  or has heard of similar bad  attitude? 

This was so over the top that i'm puzzled how as to why? and how they manage to keep the door open at all.

Whoa! Anger management time! That is crazy!

9 hours ago, E5232 said:

a and really don't care

The whole exchange. 

You should have screen shot the conversation and sent it through another channel.  It may be a culture with the company.  It may also be a bad CSR that needs to be fired.  

That said, it was a crappy experience.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

You should have screen shot the conversation and sent it through another channel.  It may be a culture with the company.  It may also be a bad CSR that needs to be fired.  

I was thinking maybe the place  was a family operation when there's always an entitled son , daughter etc,  angry they had to work lol.

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Speaking of the chat, when it first started the internet connection dropped and closed the chat session,, it happened twice, and then it remained open till the end.  funny thing was  maybe 15-20 min later i got two email from them with chat transcripts, but never got the third with all the crazy talk,  so he knew how to keep it from sending the nasty.  So i'll figure i wasn't the fist target of his ignorance. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I know this is an AR10 forum. I don't write the following to crap on the AR10. It's more about me.

Back to the idea of a small frame .308... IF I was in the market for a long .308 I would seriously consider one over an AR10. Why? Old fart here. Despite my continuing attempts  to maintain muscle mass it's going somewhere and long full size guns just don't work for me anymore. Maybe a SF AR would work better. I know that bullpups definitely work better, and a conversion for my MDR might be best. That's if I was looking for another .308, but I'm not. I can't be a population of one, so maybe they won't work for younger folks, and maybe it wouldn't have worked for me 20 years ago, but it might work for me today. I stress the might work since many of my long arms have been sold and the ones I kept are stored in the safe with only the really short rifles coming out anymore. They are just what my hands reach for today. 

We'll see if it takes off or not. 

This post has me thinking of selling off more of my long guns, getting some more room in the safe, and buying that .308 conversion.