• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How wicked can one thousand be?

Lima_Charlie

How do all. New member here with a dream vision or a craving. My collection is short a nice AR10. Tragic I know luckily I found y'all. Heres the plan and you experience is critical. Less than a grand, 18-20 inches, and hand built to include the lower. I could probly spend days on here sifting throught the endless chatter but trying to cut to the chase. Heading to mountain warfare training tomorrow and when I get back my 80% will be waiting on me. Let her rip......!

You're gonna be $500 into a barrel and BCG, and that's at good prices.  Just sayin'...

...Not to mention buttstock, forend, pistol grip, gas block and tube, muzzle device and LPK. That's another $400+, easy. Then there's sights and optics/mounts.

While I appreciate the OP's desire and DIY attitude, a budget of less than $1000 isn't going result in a top-notch, reliable .308 AR that he/she will be able to enjoy in the coming years.

So I guess the answer to the question "How wicked can $1000 be?" is, "Not very."

I've seen .308 AR's going for $1200 0n the used market from time to time. At the price he's talking about, I think he's going to need to keep 1K-$1200 handy and be ready to jump when he see's one of those deals come up. I've noticed that there seem to be a lot more of them showing up lately, with the economy being so bad. I don't see how your going to put a decent one together for 1K.

I bought a factory DPMS rifle in Spring,  2010.  It cost me vastly less than the parts to create one.  That does not even touch the cost of the special tools that MUST be bought,  also,  to assemble one of these.

At the time I was investigating the cost and advisability of building one from scratch.  My favorite gunshop had one on the rack;  too easy;  less than the cost of a bare upper&lower at the time.

A factory rifle is complete,  cheaper than parts,  instant satisfaction,  can be modified later.

Look up CheaperThanDirt  (Catalogue store On-Line;  slightly different ownership for the brick&mortar stores in Ft Worth & McKinney,  Texas,  but pick your poison!!).  Extreme collection of Black Rifles in almost any configuration.  Just arrange to ship to your local FFL dealer  if he cannot get you the one you want.

Disclaimer:  No connection to these vendors.  Just trying to provide a start for info.

Its always going to be less expensive to buy a complete rifle & 1K can get you close to one , but since you have a 80% lower already , that is not an option for you.

The end result will be you will have your rifle ,the way you want it & it will just cost you more .

With good glass , you should be saying , " how wicked can two thousand be" ?

Lol, I can't log into Brownells without dropping $400-$500. I have no concept of a $1k rifle. I believe a top end rifle can be built cheaper than some of the $3k tags out there. The lowest end, bare bones, 308 I've seen, still sold for $1100. I don't know where to cut costs on that??

Used would be the only avenue I could see this working at all.

A bare bones rifle brand new? Sure. That is easy for $1,000 or less.

"Wicked" (I'm assuming he means geared out).  Not gonna happen.

But being proved wrong is not always a bad thing!  :P

Heading to mountain warfare training tomorrow...

What branch are on you in?

I'm doing an Armalite AR10 and just for parts I have well over $1000.00 invested. That's not counting the tooling I have to buy to complete the job. I just started working on the barrel and have it chambered and headspaced, but now to profile it and drill the gas port. By the time I finish, I guesstimate I'll have around $1500.00 to $1700.00 in this project. Here's what I have done on the lower so far.

Seriously, $1000.00 - the rifle can be had for that price, but I'd be willing to bet it'll be shot out.... No offense intended, just my 2¢ worth.....

Used would be the only avenue I could see this working at all.

A bare bones rifle brand new? Sure. That is easy for $1,000 or less.

"Wicked" (I'm assuming he means geared out).  Not gonna happen.

But being proved wrong is not always a bad thing!  :P

What branch are on you in?

USMC where marksmanship is a way of life!!

I'm doing an Armalite AR10 and just for parts I have well over $1000.00 invested. That's not counting the tooling I have to buy to complete the job. I just started working on the barrel and have it chambered and headspaced, but now to profile it and drill the gas port. By the time I finish, I guesstimate I'll have around $1500.00 to $1700.00 in this project.

Seriously, $1000.00 - the rifle can be had for that price, but I'd be willing to bet it'll be shot out.... No offense intended, just my 2¢ worth.....

Beautiful work Jon one day I hope to be at your level.

I actually got my Bushmaster 308 from a police officer who purchased it with the intention of it being a squad carry rifle. But the dept. then bought like 60 AR15's and it left him with no venue to really use the rifle. (Dept. buys ammo fro the AR15, and they closed the personal carry option.) So he put it up for $900, with some extras. I had been waiting for a few months just watching and waiting, and it was a good opportunity. I doubt that any better deal is out there- but it can be matched. Since then, I have seen 4-5 308 platform rifles for sale around 900-950. Ask for several good pics of the internals, and then decide if it is what you are looking for. There will be good deals for low mileage rifles, and a few hundred rounds thru a gun is not unreasonable. The chamber, and inside the upper will tell the story of how much mileage the rig has seen.

If one is patient, it can be done. <thumbsup>

I think a complete upper is the way to go. Now is there a preference on DPMS or Armalite and is the lower I have going to dictate that?

Yes, most definitely.  What brand of 80% lower did you buy?  We can tell you what configuration that is, and whether it's DPMS or Armalite patterned.  <thumbsup>