• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you do for a living?

BLKSHEEP

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a Mortgage Loan Officer and Underwriter for 5 years until I was laid off 3 times in a year and a half.  I went back to school to get my bachelor's in sociology and then now in Grad school for my master's of social work.  My field placement next year will be at the local V.A. hospital as a medical social worker working with vets in the spinal cord injury rehab center.  I also have a spinal cord injury and would love to work with these guys in my career...hopefully it pans out.

After school, I had to honor my commitment and went into the Air Force.  I liked it and stayed for 22 years.  When I 'retired', I took a job with a major oil field exploration company (sub-sea imaging) & stayed there till I retired a couple of years ago.  Since we live on a ranch, I now just call myself a 'grass farmer' & raise my cattle. 

My wife teases me & just now refers to me as 'a drunken bum with time on his hands'.  Life is what you make of it, LOL!!!

I graduated from Utah State with a Bachelors in Aviation Science, got my pilots license, IFR and twin certs, then while doing my Commercial, blew out both ear drums and can never fly a plane again. I finish my 2nd degree in about 2 months in Information Systems Security and am working as a Software Engineer and Tech support for EMC2. 

OK, I was a computer tech. Was replaced by a displaced brother of the boss. So with a wife to support I was for ed to take a third shift job as a stock clerk. After 6 months I made full time. Made it up to lead stocker and then they did a store remodel. I was exposed to chemical fumes and now I can't breath. Down to <45% lung capacity. Some days are better than others. The company initiated the worker comp claim, forced me to go to their Dr. He saw how bad I was wrote me out of work with notes I had to see a pulmonary Dr. Then the company decided to deny the claim. I then filed for short term disability on my insurance (company provided). They DENIED that claim too. I hired a lawyer and suddenly my short term was approved at 60% pay. Now it has been 26 weeks and the short term expires. A long term disability claim is opened which pays 40% for an entire 4 months.... they cancel my insurance policy just before it starts. My meds cost around $1400 a month.

We are awaiting mediation. My lawyer is also filing for SS Disability benifits. My wife was forced to get a job and will probably need to get a part time one as well while we stugle to get past this.

We are only 2 years from having the house paid for and the bank is not willing to help us. I hate BoA.

I pray that the mediation results in enough to pay off the vehicals and the house with enough left to cover my meds until I can get Medicaid & my SS disability.

So now I have to re invent myself. I get so out of breath doing the simplest things. TV, eating and shooting off the deck are about it. 5 minutes outside and I am having problems so my target practice is very short. I have my tablet PC to get online. Can't sit in a desk chair to long because of a siatic nerve thing and something called avascular necerosis in my other hip.

I am not asking or speaking sympathy, just sharing. I don't tell to may people I know about all this crap. I figured I could share it here and at least be able o get it out.

itelluwhat that's a lot of typing LOL

Will remember you and family in our prayers brother.It's a crime,that thru no fault of your own you are being treated so poorly.It has been my experiance in the building trades that when they send you to the company doctor [vet/butcher] they ALWAYS low ball the severity of the injury.They force you to get a lawyer to fight for what is right,then your the bad guy.Good luck and god bless you.

I hope everything works out for you also, some one in your situation deservers some help, not the dead beat druggy loosers who think they are disabled! poop Pisses me offso bad one of my best friends lost his leg in a motorcycle accident were he was stuck by an un insured motorist, all he wanted was some insurance no SS and they turned him down. Yet my aunts dead beat 5 time looser daughter lives off the state, makes me angurey that I work my ass off daily to support scum like her......

Thanks. I am glad that before this happened I was a prepper. We have used up all our savings now and are now eating our food stores. We have gotten help from friends, family and the church all without out asking for help. God bless everyone who has been so generous toward us. I did not ask for this but we are dealing with it the best we can.

Thanks. I am glad that before this happened I was a prepper. We have used up all our savings now and are now eating our food stores. We have gotten help from friends, family and the church all without out asking for help. God bless everyone who has been so generous toward us. I did not ask for this but we are dealing with it the best we can.

I'm not far from you at all. If you ever need a spare hand, give me a shout. I'll be PM'ing you some contact info.

I have been several things in my life.  I worked at a grocery store department manager for a while, worked at Coke for too long and IT help desk for a short time while in school.  But as my name says, I am have been an optometrist for the last 8 years.  I practice in a smallish town in TX and wouldn't change a thing about what I did in the past.  It all taught me things that I use every day without thinking about it.

Was a janitor in high school to pay for my addiction to hot rodding. Went to vocational school to become a mechanic. Been working on cars and trucks the last 40+ years and for the last 30 years have owned my own shop!