• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ring of fire

unforgiven

• 2 weeks later...

11 yrs and counting as Marine CH-53E crew chief, "door gunner" for those who don't know.  Still trying to figure out the next step. Special Operations sounds like a blast, plus you get to play with more things that go boom!

Oops, sorry about that Unforgiven!  That was supposed to be a reply to BLKSHEEP's topic "what do you do for a living?"  I totally did not intend to change the focus of your topic.  Not sure what happened there.

Went camping in Sierra Nevada's over memorial day, the Sequoia National Forest on hwy 108, to be even more precise the Herring road camp sites, we were at around 8200' I think. Awesome country. It was actually snowing when we got there. After few days snow melted and then we could see dead fuel littered all over the floor. That place is going to explode some day soon if it isn't cleaned up. At least firewood detail was easy  <thumbsup>

Yes brother unforgiven, you wouldn't even know we were there after we left. We raked the camp fire remnants away like it never happened, all traces of our presence cleaned like we were mafia, except for the bullet holes in tree trunks everywhere  ;)

The Whitewater/Baldy fire is BAD here! I'm about 100 miles south of it and the smoke is so bad here that my wife's asthma has been really bad, and she's indoors all the time at work (the local hospital). Here's a link to a news article some friends of mine are in (the Corbells).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/vp/47667362#47667362

They have a straw bale house up in Glenwood,NM which is only a mile or two from the fire. So far they have been lucky and the fire has not shifted towards them but they are on pins & needles every day.

• 2 weeks later...

The Whitewater/Baldy fire is BAD here! I'm about 100 miles south of it and the smoke is so bad here that my wife's asthma has been really bad, and she's indoors all the time at work (the local hospital). Here's a link to a news article some friends of mine are in (the Corbells).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/vp/47667362#47667362

They have a straw bale house up in Glenwood,NM which is only a mile or two from the fire. So far they have been lucky and the fire has not shifted towards them but they are on pins & needles every day.

Those NM fires have been so bad, that they affect us in SE AZ here.  Smokey overcast from it all.  We've had a few down here so far, but lickily nothing like last summer.  This city almost disappeared last summer, and that poop was started south of the border...  >:(

Map-of-Monument-fire-3-D-data-1432-6-15-2011.jpg

monument-fire-at-night1.sflb.ashx

Monument-Fire-at-night.jpg

Is that the back side of the fort? Way to close for comfort, what would we have done for steaks! Seriously though, I'd been crapping my pants.

Yep, the whole southside of the Huachuca Mtns were ablaze...  There was one fire that started up separately on the post - bulldozer was cutting firebreaks and sparked off a rock in the dirt.  poop went up fast, from about the Garden Canyon area, and burned all the way down to Hwy 90, in the span of less than an hour.  It all sucked.  Tore the local economy up, in a big way.

the messed up thing about that fire was i watched it start. we were driving the armored truck in from bisbee and it was just a tiny little burn right near the border fence on the back side of the mountain. could see it easy from the highway. my partner is a retired battalion chief for tucson fire and he was saying they needed to backfire that or it was gonna get bad. unfortunately the white mountain fires up north were the big news story and everyone was slow to react on the huachuca fires. 2 days later we drove through again and half the mountain was gone.

i just went out sunday at 5am to try out my new rifle and all she shooting spots are shut down on the e side of tucson. seems some jack wad set the top of the mountain on fire. im almost sure it was tracer related since theres a local pawn shop selling them by the case.

From big Mike's house we can see 90 into Sierra Vista, and those fires must have been something. Hope the aren't any going on when we come this year. By the way, big mike is thinking of either competing or watching a big cowboy shoot while we're out there, could be fun, especially if he's in it.