• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Do you store your AR15 magazines loaded?

imschur

I always load my mags up before I store them. I remember when this was advised against. I think with new metals and technology, springs hold up a lot better.

I have been carrying the same Sig P226 .40 for nearly 10 years. I keep those mags loaded 24/7. I have never had a problem with any of them.

As long as you buy quality mags, I think you'll be ok. If you're worried just load -1 round to keep the spring from full compression.

First off, ALL mag springs are compressed to start with.

Second, I have some 7 rd genuine Colt mags that were loaded with mil ball, WCC71, to be exact, that were loaded in the mid 80's.

Took a half dozen out last week to "play" with.  No ftf or ftf, and accuracy was just fine.  Minute of Zombie at a 100 yds, standing, two handed.

Respectfully

Terry

I keep my magazines loaded, most of them anyway.

Constant pressure from being loaded doesn't hurt the springs, it's the loading and unloading that wears them out.

Beware, plastic mag feed lips will sometimes spread and fail from the pressure of being constantly loaded outside the firearm. That's why Magpul includes that snap on cover that depresses the top round to relieve the pressure during long term storage.

Thought it was a dust cover, that's how magpul describes it

I keep my magazines loaded, most of them anyway.

Constant pressure from being loaded doesn't hurt the springs, it's the loading and unloading that wears them out.

Beware, plastic mag feed lips will sometimes spread and fail from the pressure of being constantly loaded outside the firearm. That's why Magpul includes that snap on cover that depresses the top round to relieve the pressure during long term storage.

Thought it was a dust cover, that's how magpul describes it

They call it that to refrain from implying their magazines are weak, but a dust cover wouldn't need to depress the top round for the purpose of relieving pressure from the feed lips.

A closed bolt will depress the top round on magazines loaded into the rifle.

All springs have a compression cycle limit ,before they start to weaken & I use that term loosely because its hard to tell how long each spring will weaken & at what time frame .

It is good practice to let a mag spring breath , so to speak ,once in a while to let it go back to its rest position , for good service life .

I rotate loaded stored mags yearly & disassemble for spring to breath & mag inspection . You would be surprised how some mag springs go funny after fully loaded for long periods of time .( and it doesn't matter what they are made of or who made them )

A spring is a spring & all have a service life, there ability to spring back to original length after being compressed will vary.

In a counter to that - valve springs in engines.  Do people worry about storing cars?  Nope.  Do cars start after long-term storage?  Usually, if the gas didn't go bad.  Do they worry about that #3 cylinder that was at valve overlap when they shut the engine down, and both valves were open (at compression) at shutdown?  After long-term storage, do they replace all their valve springs? 

Nope.  And the engines work.  Cyclic kills them, not compression or extension.

Store your mags loaded or full, it doesn't matter to the spring.  What matters to the spring is how many times it cycles.

I should have been a little more specific. I'm asking what you guys actually do. I'm not concerned about spring life. I ordered 20 more mags today. With my existing mags I should be able to have 2500 round in mags. Im going to leave 420 rounds of federal XM855 in a factory sealed can. I only own a few Magpul PMAGS because they photograph well. I mostly have Colt factory, C Products, Brownells and DH magazines

98, your comparing an internal combustion engines valve spring to a rifle magazine spring ? Don't believe any ones life depended on an engines valve spring .

In my over thirty years of shooting magazine fed weapons , both semi & select fire weapons , I have had numerous magazine failures , from floor plate breaking in half & all the guts & live ammo dropping out, to feed lips not holding & wanting to feed the entire mag of ammo into the chamber all at one time ( or as many as it could feed in there )

Every last one of the magazine failures were when the mag. was loaded !  <dontknow> <lmao>

Im thinking to save some space that I might load up my AR15 mags and store them in the MTM 50 Ammo Cans. I ordered 6 to mess with. Currently I do have a bunch of mags loaded but I have many mags and Im tripping over ammo. Somethings gotta give.

Hi Drew    bout 3 weeks ago or so removed an ar15  30rd mag that has been loaded with Lake City and in an ammo can since 1992. Took it to the range and they all went bang ....so I say go for it! <thumbsup> Wash

98, your comparing an internal combustion engines valve spring to a rifle magazine spring ? Don't believe any ones life depended on an engines valve spring .

It's still a type of coil spring.  Im not talking about anyone's life - I'm talking about springs, and about spring life, period.

Load 'em up, because storing them loaded isn't going to make them fail.  Prove that wrong, besides common misconceptions, and old military belief.  <thumbsup>

I keep 3 Magpul mags loaded with factory softpoint ammo and handy at all times, with the dustcover on to take pressure off the feedlips. At any given time I usually have 6 or 7 mil-spec mags loaded with FMJ ammo too.

As for ammo cans, all I have are military steel cans. My son the Border Patrol Agent gets his hands on the various military cans at work and brings me some from time to time. Free is good! I've never owned a plastic ammo can.

Magazine springs, one of the most cussed and discussed things among USPSA shooters. I have 4 STI hi-cap mags that I've been using in competition for over 15 years that still have the original springs and work just fine. These mags don't stay loaded, but are cycled from fully loaded to empty a LOT of times every year. I get a kick out of the shooters who change their springs out at least once every year (some will change them 2 or 3 times a season). You ask them why they say "Because that's what's recommended." When you ask them by who, they tell you by the top competitors. When you point out that those guys are sponsored and probably get the springs for free, and then ask them if they have ever actually had a malfunction attributable to a fatigued spring they get all huffy! <laughs> On the other side of the coin, I've had single stack 1911 mags and G.I. AR-15 mags that have been loaded for years that worked just fine when used.