• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Opinions on other calibers for ARs...

jrtmasp

I just wanted to get opinions on what other people have purchased or experienced with various calibers for ARs other than 5.56 and our wonderful .308.

I would love to have certain ones, such as 6.8 and a .458 but the benefit doesn't offset the cost (IMO). The 300 AAC blackout is gaining more and more fans but I've never fired it. I have a few coworkers that have made the move to it and like it. It also seems to be cheaper than many options, especially when it comes to loading your own.

I'm just gathering opinions because I plan on a SBR down the road next year or the following year and I don't want it in 5.56.

Edited by jrtmasp

Well I have a 300 blackout, 45 and 9mm. I love the option of the cheap handgun ammo. I love my dedicated .22 upper too :)
Interesting options. I completely agree with you on being able to use handgun ammo as an option is a big plus. I'll do a little research on the 9mm. Did you build it yourself? I would go all in for a 45 ACP but I have a secret obsession with buying an HK USC and building a 45 AR would put that on the back burner. I have heard some good things about the Hi Point rifle in 45 ACP and its cheap. However, I've always found that you get what you pay for. My goal is two more AR builds before I branch out and invest in other rifles. I have to fill this nice new big safe I bought last year after all.

Jay

Edited by jrtmasp

I keep waffling on the 6.8. Just when I'm about to do it, I start telling myself that the .308, 300, and 5.56 has all my bases covered. I haven't taken my .270 out of the sage in two years. That being said, I keep pondering, if the 6.5 (or 264lbc) could get a little more standardized, I would probably consider hat.

The tough part is seeing if some of the big boys are playing ball with certain ammo. The 6.8 feels a bit forced but certain names have invested in it and seems good. The 300 BLK is following suit. The 6.5 is nice too but I would also fear about its longevity.
Longevity is certainly a concern. I am no expert but its seems like the industry's acceptance of the caliber has been hampered by drama between Alexander Arms and Les Baer. Please jump in a correct me if that is off base.

I have several calibers 300wsm, 270wsm on the LR308 lowers and 22lr , 9mm , 6.8spc on the AR15 lowers.

Project pistol caliber guns being built are .357sig , 40s&w , 10mm auto all waiting for BCG's.

The 6.8spc is my favorite and most accurate caliber but ammo is scarce and expensive. I will end up selling one gun or an upper , dont shoot it much anymore can't afford to feed 4 hungry mouths.

The 9mm is the fun plinking gun but the range is 50 yards. Past 75 yards and its a 6 to 12 inch pattern.

I will also be building a 300aac blk, got the barrel but that is it.

The WSM calibers are a novality , rounds are $2+ each and I had to taylor the handloads to 95% power or they wont cycle. But the range is 1000 to 1200 yards and velocity is from 2900 to 3900fps. Also made heavies at 200gr and 220gr in the 30 cal.

I always tell people to do a caliber thats different but feasible. Try something like a 38 super in an AR pistol now that would be a fun toy and cheap to feed!

I was researching a 10mm build. My ammo supply kinda dried up. So I might consider a .40 cal instead now. Although a 9 and 45 are always resting in the back of my mind.

I've read about a few people building 7.62x25 as cheap plinkers. I see that cheap ammo is drying up now too.

Besides .223 and .308, I have a 300blk, 7.62x39 and 22lr.

I'm very impressed with how affordable 5.7x28 has become. I have tossed around the idea of a pistol/SBR build and one of their uppers.

What I would ultimately love is a reliable 12 or 20 gauge upper!

thought 22LR was the way to go just for blasting, until a month ago. that 45 that tom was talking about and posted about looks intresting. also i was watching a show about the 338 fed uppers how they bolt on to 308 lowers and can use the same mags plus they are lighter which sounded great for hunting purposes.

I came across an Armalite 50A1 at my local gun store today. I had never seen one up close before. What a nice looking rifle. It was on display for a $100 per ticket raffle. I passed on that one. Now that is off topic, Robo. Anyways, I keep coming across lowers marked multi caliber. Is that just a special term being used for a lower that is capable of anything that doesn't require a bigger mag well?

Pretty much. For me, the 5.56 and .308 cover my rifle needs, and I want to get a dedicated 22lr upper (whole AR rifle?) for training…… http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st22-16-22lr-upper-w12-bar-and-fake-can-p-1014.htmlhttp://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st22-16-22lr-upper-w12-bar-and-fake-can-p-1014.html  ….. thanks for that one J. I would also be interested in a .45acp upper, but only if they got rid of magazine capacity restrictions here (you know my pain there), and only if I could find an interested buyer in my HK USC….. maybe you know someone???? evil.gif

Ha...Don't tempt me Edge. If you still have it w/i the next 18 months max, I may definately take you up on that offer. After my .308 build is complete w/scope in the spring next year, I will be in the market. Just in time to save up for the Tromix buy in 2015 too, if I'm lucky. I keep a strick and busy gun buying calender lol.

Isn't that also called a 7mm Rem Express or .280 Rem?  I deer hunted for many years with a .280 Rem. great caliberthumbup.gif

No it is a caliber that never really caught on it is 7mm on a 308 case with a akley shoulder 25degree shoulder and it is a smoking round savage used to make lever guns in it and so did winchester and also the semi auto model 100....

Also the 6mm284 is a smoking round and very accurate

Edited by Magwa

I would also be interested in a .45acp upper, but only if they got rid of magazine capacity restrictions here (you know my pain there), and only if I could find an interested buyer in my HK USC….. maybe you know someone???? evil.gif

Didn't you say at one point that you were gonna SBR the USC?