• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Experience w/ US Made 308's

freetheeagle

I am relatively new to AR's and currently own a Colt LE6920.  I am considering buying an AR chambered for one of the popular short action loads.  I am pretty well set on a .308 but would consider one of the other rounds using the 308 as a parent case.  Due to availability and cost of ammo I have just about eliminated the other calibers such as the 300AAC, 6.8SPC, etc.  My entire working career has been spent supporting US industries so I have narrowed my search to rifles made in America so Armalite and most of the FAL's are out.  I don't intend to drop a load since the primary purpose is target shooting and home defense (preferably <$2K).  With that price point KA, LMT, Larue, and Baer fall out of the equation.  That leaves Colt, CMMG, RRA, S&W, DPMS, and Remington as well as a few small manufacturers I haven't listed.  Can anyone provide me with feedback you have had from direct experience with any of these that would be helpful in making a decision?

CMMG seems to have lots of internet complaints. RRA and Smith use several proprietary parts. People seem to love the LAR8. I think the jury is still out on the Smith. DPMS seems to be the most common standard for parts. Most of the rifles are vanilla out of the box but easily upgradeable. I don't know anyone with a colt but its probably nice. Do you plan on keeping it factory or adding parts?

I'm happy with my CMMG MK3. Bought new about a month ago, had some very minor issues (wrong bolt catch) but that was quickly rectified by CMMG sending me the correct one. Other than that it's running like clockwork over 350+ rounds. No jams/FTE/FTF's at all. No real signs of being overgassed either - shell casings land reliably 6-10' away at 4-5 o'clock.

I'm getting pretty decent sub-MOA groups so I guess they've fixed the issues with their earlier 308's.

-S

An Armalite AR-10A will cost under $2k and is made in the US. It'd more than suffice for a range and defense rifle.

Colt and Armalite also make a 7.62x39 rifle. If you wanted a new caliber, but didn't want to break the bank on ammo cost.

Does Colt make a .308 other than the CM901? I know that rifle is a lot more than $2k.... Although, it's damn we'll worth every penny (Damn you Pappy!!!)

Thanks for the feedback on Armalite.  I had read so many posts in recent weeks on various sites about Armalites not being manufactured in the US that I didn't do the research I should have done. Stupid of me to take it at face value.  Won't do that again.  Good to have another choice in the basket.  Thanks to all of you for setting me straight. 

Since I am relatively new to AR's I plan to keep whatever I decide on factory until I learn more about them.  As I get more exposure I will learn my gun and my preferences and I will probably start to modify it to meet those then.  In the short term my only plans include installing sights/optics and have also started researching that also. 

In the meantime I will dig deeper into the information available both on this site and other places on the net and will also look at some of the other manufacturers that all of you have listed.  Again, thanks for the help.

Been doing more research and spent time today visiting various shops. I like what I have seen about Armalites and the reviews for the S&W MP10 I have read have all been good. I like the fact that you order RRA's built the way you want but have seen mixed reviews. While their chrome moly barrels are cryogenically treated I haven't seen any confirmation about chrome lining. Does any know? They use FAL mags and I have read quite a bit - conflicting as is frequently the case - about them vs. Pmags. Any opinions? Lots of mixed reviews about DPMS so I am a bit Leary. I also understand the R25 is a DPMS marketed with Remington's label. Saw a Sig 716 today at a LGS priced within my range. Nice gun but heavy. My LGS says it is manufactured in the US but once again haven't found anything to confirm yet. The reviews I have seen score it average on accuracy with mostly negative comments about the trigger. Several recommend replacing it with a Giessele or similar but that will push it above what I was hoping to spend. Anyone have personal experience with one?

Well, if you've liked what you've read about Armalite's........then why wait? Jump on in brother.....the water is warm.

By the way......don't look at my tag line. I wouldn't want you to think that I'm a biased opinion or anything.

Edited by Rsquared

DPMS manufacturers A LOT OF RIFLES. Sure a few have issues but problems seem to drown out the good of anything on the web. There a re many happy DPMS owners. They also support their products very well. Being a FAL owner I love the fact that the RRA uses what was once plentiful and inexpensive magazines.

Whatever you buy will need a trigger upgrade.

The only complete .308 I purchased was an Armalite AR-10.

Most of my LGS's are small and don't have much in the way of inventory.  In fact the only one I have touched is the Sig 716 I mentioned.  So I have not actually put my eyes and hands on one of the Armalite's I am interested in.  According to my Armalite dealer he has some more coming in so I hope I can soon.  As for the others most of them are happy to order anything you want but don't stock .308s in an AR platform because so many buyer want to custom order them anyway.  They are also very scarce on the local used market.  I am making a trip next month and hopefully my travel schedule will allow me to attend a major gun show while there.  Hope to get a chance to see some more then.

Anyone have opinions they would like to share about the different barrel manufacturing techniques, i.e. SS vs. cold hammer forged, vs. 4140/4150 chrome lined, and there impact on accuracy and long term reliability?

Anytime brother!! Planing a trip to the shot show in January...waiting for registration to open.. Let me know if you want in, I will register you under my FFL... Sorry for the hijack... And by the way if you have not figured it out yet the Colt LE 901 is a great shooting rifle and worth every penny.

• 4 months later...

I have a DPMS LR 308 that I really like and it shoots fine. My son in law just ordered a SW MP10. Is there anything I need to know about oiling and greasing it before firing? Any break in procedures?

Shouldn't be any different than a normal AR-15. Lube and shoot!

Much to my surprise, my wife just said "you should go."

If you can make this happen, I'll bust ass to be able to attend. It's only a 5 hour drive or 45 min flight for me.

Quoting this one right here, just because...

Rob, I'll find out tomorrow about my time off - forgot to ask if they'd approved it - but Dawn Marie is good during SHOT.  She's off. 

If I can't get you a room, this late, you're bunking with us. 

If that's the case, bring range muffs and a blindfold.  I'm just sayin'...  <hump> <laughs>