The Motherlode

washguy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question to Shibi concerning the magwell....my guy told me the edm method for cutting the magwell was expensive and that he made his own broaching tool to cut the mag in the billet...is that possible?

give me a lesson please :) Wash

Broaching in a nutshell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tAz5YDFtAs

You got the full dirty details in the PM you sent me...

Edited by shibiwan

a dedicated side charger lr308 upper would be nice. not the silly thing that fulton does, where they just cut the slot out of a regular upper that still has a normal charging handle slot, but one made that way to begin with.

and for lower, both having the tiny cutout for the BADASS ambi safety as well as being set up like the AXTS for mag + bolt release.

http://axtsweapons.com/products/AX762

Something like this? :))

post-12582-0-24707400-1381471818_thumb.j

Hey guys , new this forum - just picked up on this thread.
The "Secret " Mfg. that Washguy is talking about is AAA Clasics in Burleson, TX .
His name is Mitch Butler and he does set up at local gun shows, but always has open, fixed price sales on Gunbroker.com. His phone number is REDACTED
I am getting one this week, but have to go out of town this weekend and if anyone is interested , I can give a review, when I get back and can get the gun built.

Edit:

Due to the nature of phone numbers and what happens when they are posted publicly online, I have redacted the phone number until such time as you have the owner's approval to post it. Please be considerate with the information that you post online. Thanks, and welcome to the forums.

Matt C.

Edited by Matt.Cross

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to pitch my hat in the ring and say I like what has been posted about a machinist making lowers and uppers. Please continue post updates as they are available.

I have to say I am interested in pulling the trigger on a home-brew 300 win-mag but I doubt if I could pull together a list of suppliers for parts and then put together a budget that would fit inside my misses approval zone :hail: :ove3: . There is a starry look in my eyes every time I walk into the Gun Library and gaze upon a Nemo. Sigh...

Thank to all for their efforts.

Edited by Dallas229

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I just picked my AAA Clasics .308 Multi Caliber Lower from Mitch Butler this past Thursday.  He had just picked up about 100 "MM10" (Multi Magazine) Lowers from his plater.

The finish is Hard Anodized, which is a durable conversion process that wears very well. 

He also had the first run if "BAR 12" 30-06 length Lowers - they exist!

He is in the process of moving forward with Uppers for both length guns.

Getting back to my gun..

I opted for the "standard" DPMS-type Magazine Lower, as I have several of their mags and am content with that configuration. 

Mitch supplied me with his, made in-house, hardened stainless TakeDown Pins, Bolt Stop, Mag Release & Plungers.

The Ambi-Safety Selector is still in process and I will get that later, although he supplied me with a generic Selector.  He also provided the springs needed to build up the Lower.

As you should be able to see in my (hopefully) attached photos, I just installed standard trigger/hammer parts (from one of my '15's) for the initial build. The Upper is a DPMS 20" .308 1/10" Twist, with Levang Comp & DPMS Carbon Fiber Floating Handguard. I will eventually upgrade to MagPul Adjustable Butt & Grip.

The parts went into the AAA Lower without any drama. And the DPMS Upper mates very nicely.

I'll get you an update, after I get to the range - in about a week.

Oh, I have his permission to give you his phone of 817-572-3306.

Here are some additional notes:

1. His Mag Release Button has concentric grooves on 1 side & checkered on the other - pretty cool.

2. Mitch starts the Bolt Stop Tension (roll) Pin in his Lowers (anyone whom has assembled a stripped lower would probably appreciate this).

3. A hanging point for some of you may be that because of the beefy Mag Well and Mag Button "Surround", you will not be able to utilize Hammer Pins that are retained with e-clips (Trigger Pivots are clear).  He told me that he MAY, in the future, make a cut that will clear the right side e-clip.

For now, he has several hundred finished Lowers and they are past the point of that modification - contact him for more info.

IMG_2194copy_zps69a0b315.jpg 

IMG_2197b_zps81e4da87.jpg

IMG_2202b_zps656e7a35.jpg

IMG_2209b_zpsce5ae0e3.jpg

IMG_2211_zpsc1c038cf.jpg

IMG_2217b_zps5b8a8738.jpg

IMG_2224b_zpsab85aa59.jpg

You say it has a roll pin for the bolt stop , if need be how would you remove it ? I see no way to get a pin punch to the opposite side to remove it . DPMS & others use a screw pin for the ability to remove the bolt stop .

In my opinion , this prototype has a kinda crude look , nice solid looking lower though.

What is the protrusion on the front of the mag well ? Or is that for multi mag type configurations ?

The BAR 30'06 is interesting , but we have already discussed what would be needed to make a complete rifle happen (98 brought much of that up )

You say it has a roll pin for the bolt stop , if need be how would you remove it ? I see no way to get a pin punch to the opposite side to remove it . DPMS & others use a screw pin for the ability to remove the bolt stop .

In my opinion , this prototype has a kinda crude look , nice solid looking lower though.

What is the protrusion on the front of the mag well ? Or is that for multi mag type configurations ?

The BAR 30'06 is interesting , but we have already discussed what would be needed to make a complete rifle happen (98 brought much of that up )

The Bolt Stop Pin is removable from inside the Mag Well. There is a slot that allows for a long pin punch to access it.

The lug on the front of the Mag Well is there for some accessories that Mitch has planned in the future (brass catcher, spare mags?).

As it stands, it is not interfering with anything...

Regarding the 30-06 platform. if you are referring to the post on Sep. 29, it goes, without saying, that all those considerations for the '06 length gun must be met - bolts, springs, buffers, etc.

I have seen the Operation and based on my observations, this guy is fully capable of executing.

Anyway, as I have seen others state in this thread, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Obviously, you would want to wait and see how the complete gun comes out.

Thank you,

Chris

It may be my eyes deceiving me, but the receiver looks really heavy. Does it weigh as much as it looks bulky?

While a little rough looking, I still kinda like it. Is the lug-looking thing on the magwell removable? The donut around the mag release would be victim to my dremmel tool. Have you tired fitting it with any aftermarket accessories yet, ie; a bolt assist lever (Magpul, Tactical Link, Phase5), Norgon/Troy ambi mag release... how does the back of the receiver mate up to larger grips like the Magpul MIAD? Will it require a grip wedge?

In a world where everything is getting smaller and lighter, I still recognize a market for the bench behemoths. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I celebrate the ingenuity. I look forward to the 30-06 version. I've heard a LOT of promises over the years and most of them fall short (ex: Fidelis Arms and their 12g upper). I hope to see this come to fruition.

Any idea on aproximate cost brother Chris??

I'm sorry, I thought Washguy filled you all in.

The .308 platform lowers are $299.99, including the LPK.

I know that the LPK thing is a moving target, but I'm confident he will follow through with the Selector, when those are finished.

Also, of note, he supplies the Pins, Bolt Stop, Mag Catch and Selector with the last digit of your Serial Number, visible when assembled.

And, he can give you your choice of available Serial Numbers, as well as make your Lower with a "Custom" Serial # - you should contact Mitch for that...

Chris

It may be my eyes deceiving me, but the receiver looks really heavy. Does it weigh as much as it looks bulky?

While a little rough looking, I still kinda like it. Is the lug-looking thing on the magwell removable? The donut around the mag release would be victim to my dremmel tool. Have you tired fitting it with any aftermarket accessories yet, ie; a bolt assist lever (Magpul, Tactical Link, Phase5), Norgon/Troy ambi mag release... how does the back of the receiver mate up to larger grips like the Magpul MIAD? Will it require a grip wedge?

In a world where everything is getting smaller and lighter, I still recognize a market for the bench behemoths. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I celebrate the ingenuity. I look forward to the 30-06 version. I've heard a LOT of promises over the years and most of them fall short (ex: Fidelis Arms and their 12g upper). I hope to see this come to fruition.

I did not take the time to weigh the stripped Lower, but I understand it is approx. 1lb.

The accessory lug is integral.

Obviously, I have not yet tried to install any of the geehaws you are asking about, but I can tell you that my Bushmaster "varmint" grip would not clear the trigger guard, because of its width.

What you are buying is a strongly designed, precision machined lower receiver and there probably will be some add- ons that are not compatible, due to heavily constructed mag well, ultimately designed for optional magazine fitment.

Thanks for the questions, but it might be a good idea to contact Mitch

Butler direct. @ 817-572-3306.

I told him that I had posted to this Forum and he is excited to discuss his products with you all.

Thanks,

Chris

Well, he's welcome to spend some time here if he wants. it may benefit his business . I can believe , time, would be a problem for him.

Most of us here are used to fitting grips & such . As long as its not too much. The 30'06 is some thing I would also be interested in building, so I will be following how it goes.

I would also like to here about your range time with this lower. Looks like a solid platform.