• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Z5Vs M1 Carbine

98Z5V

Latest addition to the older rifles in the collection.  I actually got this one this summer, but neglected to mention anything about it until now.  Busy, or something.  I'll tell the story on it later through this thread.  It's an IBM Corp M1 Carbine, chambered in .30 Carbine.  Both the receiver and barrel are stamped IBM Corp, without additional markings or upgrades, and it's in great shape.  I don't think it's been through the depot-level "remanufacture" process, or I'd find a bunch of other markings on it.  I'll keep investigating and see what I can dig up.

100_1062_zps0c25fcb4.jpg

Complete with the oiler at the rear of the sling:

100_1063_zps89a508a8.jpg

100_1064_zps13f16800.jpg

Been meaning to get it out to the range the past month, and just haven't gotten the chance with this one.  I'll get it out there soon.  <thumbsup>

No, brother, I sure don't.  Gotta start looking.  Also gotta start looking for a lever gun, now.  I hate only having ONE rifle in a specific caliber...  <dontknow>  <lmao>

Guess who has a set of .30 Carbine dies and no .30 Carbine?

Marlin made something in .30 Carbine but can't remember what right now.

Ruger has a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.

AMT has an Automag III in .30 Carbine too.

Let me know if you want those dies. If I can find them.

Its  got the M-2 round bolt, and the "later" issue rear sight.    Nice  carbine!

Respectfully

Terry

Terry, that's AWESOME info, brother - thank you!  I didn't know there was a difference in the sights or the bolt, outside of the M2 being a select-fire weapon.  Mine doesn't have the bayo lug retrofitted on it, but someone used the upgrade kit on it, at some time.

This rifle came from my father - and he's still in great health, by the way.  He told me he'd pass it down to me, and he gave it to me this summer.  I didn't expect it, not now.  He did 39 years in the Army, mostly National Guard.  When he retired, I went to his official retirement ceremony and change of command, and the dinner the night before.  This rifle was a retirement gift presented to him.  His first rifle issued was the M1 Carbine, and it was always his favorite, and a bunch of the officers that worked for him knew that. 

This one means a lot to me - right up there with my grandfathers shotgun.  <thumbsup>

• 2 months later...

I've got some stuff coming up for this one - stay tuned, soon.  I'm knocking down projects one at a time, right now.  That damn truck was first, so now I'm moving into the more normal directions again.  Nothing I do will be un-reversible...  <lmao>

Please rember that the M-1 carbine was desinged to replace the Colt 1911 for those that could not carry   or handle  the 1911, for whatever reason.

So, the round and rifle are really a "pistol" ctg, and "pistol" re-desinged as a Carbine.

Expect from it what you would expect from the 1911 .45 at any reasonable range, that being at targets at less than 200 yards, and preferably not over 100 yards.

My younger brother and I shot ,literally, thousands and thousands of rounds through our guns.   Mostly lead bullets.   One Sat a month, he and I , and sometimes a friend or two, would spend the day casting bullets with Lyman 4 cav. moulds.

My brother worked part time at a gas station, so we got all the wheel weights we wanted.   I could,nt count all the thousands of pounds we went through casting bullets!LOL!

We used the Lyman 311410 mould, out of two 4 cav. moulds, also cast .45's and a few 38;s. and, later 44's    the 311410 was a 130grain bullet, and we used a max charge of 2400 powder.

Respectfully

Terry

Edited by Tripledeuce

I didn't know Hogue made a stock for this - searching now...

It's got rough molding lines. It needed to be cleaned up a bit to take off the sharp flashing at the seams. Nothing a bit of elbow grease and sand paper couldn't fix. A little bit of paint and no one will ever think differently about it.

I'll see if I still have a picture of when we finished it.