• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Chest Rigs vests what do you look for in one

Magwa

I was sitting here thinking a dangerous habit i admit when it struck me , we need better hunting packs that can do double duty as a SHTF pack or whatever. So lets say SHTF ok well for sure if you are on the move on your feet you will have a back pack with all your goodies inside, so where do you carry all your mags, radio's, pistol, etcetc that is my question.

Now I am thinking a chest rig with a front pouch for radio and such then some mag poushes on the sides in hunting season could double and carry a GPS,camera, knife, whatever will fit in the mag pouches. So someone out there needs to be marketing a well made (I hate cheap stuff) pack that is more than a one trick pony... your thoughts please.....

Ok, well I have a plate carrier, which is on the far end of the spectrum for a chest rig, it's an Eagle Industries C.I.R.A.S. I love it but it isn't what you are looking for.

U.S. Palm makes quality stuff and that would be my first stop, along with T.A.G. (Tactical assault gear). Hope this helps. And remember all molle gear can be configured to tailor fit your needs. TAG carries a bunch

Mike, I think it would work great as a hunting setup - radio, mags, any kind of small tools, Nalgene water bottles, lickies and chewies, etc.

I'm very, very partial to Tactical Tailor for chest rigs - been using them since the mid-90s, at least.  I have a 2-piece MAV setup in OD, and a 1-piece MAV setup in FDE.  I'm positive I posted pics of that stuff before, so if I can find the thread, I'll get that pic in here.

I also think a plate carrier would work well as a hunting setup - all your necesseties on the front (radio, mags, etc), and other stuff on the back (hydration bladder pocket, med kit, ninja sticks, etc). 

Either way, you can't go wrong - having a dedicated place for something specific beats the hell out of having it in one big backpack-type sack on your back.  Once you wear it enough, muscle memory kicks in, and you always know that one piece is in exactly the same place, every single time.  Repetition breeds proficiency.  <thumbsup>

EDIT - Mike, here's the thread where I talked about it.  I also have a plate carrier from US Palm, with soft armor insert, and I really like that thing.  I don't have a pic of that on the board.  I have a stripped plate carrier shell with no inserts from LA Police Gear, and that's got some other pouches on it - no pics here either.  I'll try to get pics of those two up for you. 

Edited by 98Z5V

I have two set ups... Three if you count work.

I guess the first is my work rig. This year we started wearing external vest carriers. These are load bearing systems. I put everything except my gun on it. I'll try to grab a picture later. I have a drop leg rig that is for my rifle mags.

7adea51d-6155-4bdf-a11d-1de084278c8b_zps

My second rig is my daily travel bag. I use the 5.11 Tactical MOAB RUSH 12 Shoulder bag. It has everything on it that I need, including a concealed holster and hydration bladder. I put a medic bag on the front, just to get me out of hot water. (pic stolen from the "www")

moab10-11.jpg

My last setup is definitely a SHTF RIG. I have the BAE ECLiPSE plate carrier. It's set up for 5.56 right now, but I can swap over to 7.62 in just a few minutes. I even put a 40oz bladder on it. The best part is, I can attach the above bag to the back of this rig for a super full load.

DSCN1973.jpg

Edited by Robocop1051
added pics

Same thing with me and bolt guns - I only run the VTAC Mk 1 sling on those.  Same sling on the Mk12 rifle, too.  Love that bastard for anything that I might use the sling to "tighten up" in a non-bipod situation, be it standing, sitting or prone.  <thumbsup>

This is a great thread and you guys are great for sharing your information, and you have the idea of what I am looking for. I use a Vickers
two point sling it is the best way I have found to carry a 10 lb rifle and not be fatigued. so with that in mind my rifle kinda hangs from my right shoulder to my left hip accross my body ,so the middle of the chest rig would need to be kinda sparse in that area or have a flap of some kind that would keep the rifle from rubbing on any plastic buckles etc I have found it to be noisy in that way but I 100% agree with 98 that a mag carrier can also be a radio carrier or a capri sun carrier etc.

I will look at every link you guys have posted and see what i can find I know hunting wise is not much different than SHTF wise so I think it is a good idea to find a rig that will and can be used for both because one I do all the time and the other I hope I never have to do... 

I went to that other thread and the picture of 98's FDE chest rig and belt is a perfect combination for both situation all I would need on 98's is a chest pouch for binos and a couple of small side pouches for radio knife ,rope etc also on that page was Rsquared's rig and it looks also great in that it has the 5,56 mag pouches on the left side where I like them and has the chest pouch for binos or radio or whatever and the option for body armour is on both of them.......are both those setups still being made?

Edited by Magwa

In the Marines i like to keep the front of my plate carrier mostly slick, found it easier to move around that way. I had a blackhawk padded patrol belt that has molle loops on it. I kept my mag pouches, dump pouch and IFAK on the belt and just had a couple of grenade pouches on the vest where i kept tape, earpro, camera, etc. with the mags mounted low on the side of my belt i found it easier to get in and out of vehicles and far easier to get prone and reload in that position. and the IFAK on the belt kept it out of the way but easy to get to if i needed it. just turn the belt to where i could reach it. Also kept that stuff handy if i had to drop the vest for whetever reason. Used a Specter 3pt sling with a buttstock mag pouch integrated into, and had a hydration carrier pouch on the back of my plate carrier, this let me just drop my camelback into the pouch so i could take it out easily to refill or use when i wasnt wearing my plate carrier..

I went to that other thread and the picture of 98's FDE chest rig and belt is a perfect combination for both situation all I would need on 98's is a chest pouch for binos and a couple of small side pouches for radio knife ,rope etc also on that page was Rsquared's rig and it looks also great in that it has the 5,56 mag pouches on the left side where I like them and has the chest pouch for binos or radio or whatever and the option for body armour is on both of them.......are both those setups still being made?

Brother, Tactical Tailor still makes the stuff I have, and it's a forever guarantee on it.

The Modular Assault Vest (MAV) page is right here. 

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/mav-modularassaultvests.aspx

You can get it complete as a kit, with standard pouches, or just the bare vest - then add any particular pouches you might want/need.  Hit their pouch page for all that stuff.

That's exactly what I was gonna say Rob. That's why I chose some of their stuff. A lifetime guarantee.....custom made....fair price....made in the USA (Cali of all places). I think the chest rigs that I bought for me and my son (a Christmas present to him last year) were only somewhere in the 250 range. The V-ops 308 model. Takes about 4-6 weeks from time of order until delivery. Nice stuff. Very durable. Well made. Now, as Tom says....Tactical Tailor makes some nice looking stuff also. But I can only speak of (first hand) the BDS stuff. Kick ass rig.....and slings.

Edited by Rsquared

I use a lot of Tactical Tailor, TAG, VTAC, AND 5.11 accessories... and of course Safariland for work. Mostly just for the pouches and magazine storage.

I'm very interested in a BDS rig... especially since they do Kryptek! I have a little something in the works at the office. I'm hoping that I may need a dedicated .308 rig in the near future.

I'd rather have a stripped plate carrier or chest rig, and add the pouches.  Having that stuff sewn on locks you into that forever.  If you add the pouches, you pick which ones, where they go, and you can move them anytime you want.  My $0.02... 

Speaking of Kryptek.......................

But I love the gear that I've got from BDS. I don't wanna sound like I'm pimping their product. But, it's nice stuff. Wide shoulder straps for load-bearing. Heavily stitched for durability. And hell, the slings are made the same way. I love the 2/1 point slings that I've got from them. It keeps my 10 SBR slung pretty well........though it's a heavy little bastard.

I'd rather have a stripped plate carrier or chest rig, and add the pouches.  Having that stuff sewn on locks you into that forever.  If you add the pouches, you pick which ones, where they go, and you can move them anytime you want.  My $0.02... 

I don't have one yet but I like this idea here that way I can build it as I go for what purpose I need it for. If you buy one mfg. chest rig are you stuck with their equipment or can you mix and match ?