• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I finally got a new safe

EasyEJL

Shadow Ops Weaponry paid for it. Its not much compared to what I bet some of you have, but its way better than what I was using. I've been trying to save for one, but have literally had over $7000 now in vet bills over the last 3 months across 3 of my dogs, one of whom had to be put to sleep(although I set up a donation thing that got me enough to cover the one dog's surgery, but that's another topic)

post-13455-0-60923300-1392906204_thumb.j

post-13455-0-39947600-1392906206_thumb.j

yeah, this one came from tractor supply. We'd been trying to work out getting me something bigger/nicer like one of the larger brownell ones, but the company is kind of tight on cash and couldn't lay out $2400. At the same time, my old safe was tiny and really only "safe" by way of obscurity, I could get into it with my pocket knife and 10 minutes :D So I needed something better and we settled on this for now. Actually picked it up at tractor supply ourselves, wheeled it in with my appliance dolly. I'll be anchoring it to the floor this weekend. I could probably fit a good 4 more rifles in there on the left side if I organized it halfway decently, and nothing on the right really needs to be inside the safe :) so I could put more long guns there.

Oh and exciting as well, I traded some AR15 parts for some new scopes, so the 308 there in FDE now has a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x42 scope on it, instead of no name Chinese 3-9x50post-13455-0-70777600-1392921038_thumb.j

I don't have a gun safe. I have a 'gun room' which is also my computer room. Within convenient reach, I have 12 rifles and 3 pistols within reach. Oh, and there's also the crossbow made from an automobile leaf spring. My woodworking tools are easy to get at, and the kitchen is chock full of knives. I like the idea that I can grab my stuff whenever I need, and will need some persuasion to make it harder to get to my stuff.

I have been wanting to make a leaf spring crossbow to shoot footlong lengths of rebar...

This thing shoots rebar. It's a total beotch to cock and will take your shoulder off dry-fire. Shoots smoother with rebar though. trajectory is flat, use some duct tape for "feathers". Good to 100 yards although I wouldn't want to take one at 200 yards. It's a serious shooter.

My wife got me one at the dollar store called moisture eliminator, I didn't think it would work boy was I wrong, I couldn't believe how well it worked. I keep two or three on shelf as soon as one gets 1" or so of water I toss it and open a new one. For a 1.00 you cant beat it. In Kolorado our humidity is usually pretty low. But this manages to suck a cup of water out of the air.

Congrats, I was going to get that safe from Academy sporting goods, good safe for the money, but Gander mountain had a sale and ended up getting a 64 gun liberty, I got one of the 110v. peet dehumidifiers but we have LOTS of humidity here and it still stays at about 45% (inside the air conditioned house) so I have to get another to go along with it, going to check into the ones recommended here. I do not intend to hijack so feel free to warn/move/delete if needed, but my liberty safe has the expanding door seal which does no sealing unless it gets hot, right now it has about 3/16' movement in the door, with our high humidity would it be better if the door had a full time seal so once the dehumidifier dries it out it stays out? Sorry to hear about your dogs, it sucks when they are sick, they can't tell you like kids can, we just lost one too, he was my wifes baby, definitely the most affectionate dog I have ever seen, he developed a heart murmur/fast heart rate, meds helped, one week later he saw a coon on the carport and got excited so my wife picked him up and took him over to the sofa and he died in her arms, it was VERY rough.

Edited by texas30cal

Get this for a garage safe its just that easy and cheep recharge the remdri in the oven!post-12857-0-15718900-1393223765_thumb.j

I just got 12-20 inches of snow today and hygrometer is in the low!!

Yes it's pink but that's after 2years time to refresh!! Thanks fellas.

Edited by sketch

Also. Grab a small fireproof document safe to to throw in the bottom. These safes don't hold up all that well to fire. They help, but aren't really fireproof from everything I've seen. You can throw your cash and paper in the doc safe and it's even likelier to survive being in a safe inside a safe.

ETA- by "these safes" I mean these types of safes...not these specific ones

Edited by DNP