• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

need your recommendation/s for muzzle options

AR-Sniper

Hey guys newbie here. 

im looking to get a new muzzle brake or something that will reduce my recoil and maybe barrel climb. 

i currently have a YHM flash hider.

i ordered a heavy buffer from heavybuffers.com

i been reading a lot of your older posts and following along for a month or so.

to better educate my self. those the reason i decided to just order it and try it out.

lets not have the price of a muzzle device be a factor. i want pure performance.

something that does great with recoil and muzzle climb. just to be more on the spot for a follow up shot. would be a plus if it is not over board in other categories such as flash and the loud factor. that is not a big deal but would be nice

a few i been looking at that i like. but want your opinion on.

-Battle comp

-PWS

-JEC

just a few names that i have heard one or 2 guys recommended. 

what would you recommended? doesn't have to be the 3 i listed just what would you get and why?

keep in mind this is for precision long range shooting. to be accurate at 100-1000 yards mostly the longer ranges though.

this is my setup now

-troy free float hand guard (lowpro gas block)

-16" 1.10 twist barrel (will be getting a custom made 18" 1.10 twist barrel from John Benjamin, highly recommended by a lot of guys in OR and WA.)

-Geissele SSA-E trigger

-magpul PRS Stock

-bcm charging handle

-osprey scope (temporary until i can afford a better one)

-ergo grip with shelf

-atlas bypod

im pretty sure the rest is from DPMS as far as internals go.

im pretty sure im ether missing some other things or that is all. 

but im sure this is more then enough to give you a idea of what im working with.

some pics

post-14648-0-93906300-1395094580_thumb.j

post-14648-0-58744500-1395094602_thumb.j

post-14648-0-37287300-1395094619_thumb.j

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robocop is right about the JP Enterprise "Cooley" brake--you'd want the large one--but be prepared, it will knock your hat off your head when you fire. The JP Enterprise "Tank" brake (JP Recoil Eliminator) could be better in that regard but one of their reps told me the shooter concussion is basically the same for both brakes.

D.R.D im checking reviews on that now. looks good so far.

and RoboCop, i trust your advice, i read a few other recomindations you made to another member a while back i was reading on getting the heavybuffer for recoil reduction for the .308. i ordered one. should be in this week. so thank you for that :)

after doing some searching of the JP one you recomended im leaning more on the battlecomp one.

just to keep the option open for 3d as well. i shoot at the range to sight in so i think that would be more respectful then the JP.

any others i may want to look in to? so far im leaning on 

1) battleComp BABC

2) Griffen M4SD II (but for a .308)

3) ...

There's always Spike's Dynacomp - $100+ less than the BABC with the same performance.

tn2_zps97b4d7bd.jpg

I have a cheapie $30 cooley-style brake on my 308 and it works well. Been dragging my ass in making my own comp.

IMG_5683.JPG

On the 300AAC, I'm using this guy for around $35:

post-14035-0-91741000-1395102143.jpg

Yes, I'm a cheap ass, but they work as advertised. :D

post-14035-0-91741000-1395102143_thumb.j

Edited by shibiwan

Bubbasks and I have had the opportunity to play around with a decent amount of .308 muzzle devices (I'm waiting for a new 120fps camera to finish our comparison). Of the comps we've gone through I like the Griffin Armament 7.62 Flash Comp and the PWS FSC 30 the most. The BABC was definitely an improvement over an A2-style comp, but was a bit more difficult to control due to a noticeable downward push. It's also a lot more expensive than the GA or PWS.

If you're looking primarily for recoil mitigation though (impulse straight back into you), grab a brake! Just be advised other people around you won't be very happy (I avoid shooting next to people with Surefire 7.62 brakes like the plague!). If you want something that will mitigate muzzle movement and not be as punishing to those around you, go for a comp.

Edited by FaRKle!

AAC Brakeout. I run these with the CAR10-XH buffer setups from heavybuffers on my 10 SASS, two different 10 16" carbine's, and my 10 12" SBR. I also run them on my 5.56 guns also. Part is for the QD for the can, the other is for recoil without it. These things are nice, even if you didn't need them for the suppressors.

The BABC has quite a bit of side concussion as well. Not as bad as the Cooley, but still present. Farkle is always whining about how loud my BABC comp is :binkybaby:

The BABC is not a brake, and doesn't eliminate recoil much. It does however, completely extinguishes any muzzle rise. If you want to reduce felt recoil, I have to point back to the JP again.

PS.

There's always Spike's Dynacomp - $100+ less than the BABC with similar performance.

Fixed it for you brother B)

There's always Spike's Dynacomp - $100+ less than the BABC with the same performance.

tn2_zps97b4d7bd.jpg

I have a cheapie $30 cooley-style brake on my 308 and it works well. Been dragging my ass in making my own comp.

IMG_5683.JPG

On the 300AAC, I'm using this guy for around $35:

post-14035-0-91741000-1395102143.jpg

Yes, I'm a cheap ass, but they work as advertised. :D

lol, recognized that washing machine from somewhere?

I tried a bunch of different brakes including the JP and found the POF brake reduced recoil and muzzle rise the best.  'Course once I started killin' pigs at night I switched to the Smith flash hider.  Here's a link to the POF .308 brake.

Which JP brake was that? If it was the Cooley, they have it in two sizes. The large size is not 'legal' for most shooting competitions (the 1x3 rule), but does an excellent job at handling recoil and rise.

Which JP brake was that? If it was the Cooley, they have it in two sizes. The large size is not 'legal' for most shooting competitions (the 1x3 rule), but does an excellent job at handling recoil and rise.

Tried both in .556 and they both work good.  I bought the large by mistake before I realized it wasn't legal.  Then bought the small.  In .308, I tried one (can't remember which) but the POF was better.  The three chambers of the POF have different size holes for the bullet to pass through regulating the amount of gas that gets redirected in each chamber.

• 1 year later...

AAC Brakeout. I run these with the CAR10-XH buffer setups from heavybuffers on my 10 SASS, two different 10 16" carbine's, and my 10 12" SBR. I also run them on my 5.56 guns also. Part is for the QD for the can, the other is for recoil without it. These things are nice, even if you didn't need them for the suppressors.

Ding ding ding we have a winner.. I too run these I have them on every rifle they flat out work.. no muzzle climb and a good flash hider as well...