• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

whats the first step when cleaning any firearm?

Toolndie7

I had to respond to a hospital for a gun shot wound. The guy was cleaning a Taurus Slim and he had his hand over the ejection port when he tried to clear the pistol. He didn't double check and had the muzzle towards his stomach. Luckily for the bullet just carved out a tunnel and grazed his hand and all he got was powder burn on his side not near as bad as this guy and obviously more fortunate

Can't even begin to count the number of Glock related AD's we have in law enforcement.

Kid I went to school with, his dad was a LEO in our small town he some how discharged his glock in the patrol car some how thru the seat and out the floor

I've seen Hoppe's no.9 air fresheners and after shave for sale.

Hoppes #9  gives me a small woodie :banana:    where do I get the aftershave? <laughs>  Nah...I would be sleeping under the workbench in the garage....Char hates that smell  :) Wash

Can't even begin to count the number of Glock related AD's we have in law enforcement.

When AZDOC switched from S&W M65s to Glock 19s, THREE range masters shot themselves…in the hands.  Never heard anything more about it while working there.

Years later I found out DOC had called one of my instructors, to be an expert witness against Glock and their "poorly designed firearm".  Took him several minutes to get past the "guns just went off" to the part of the story where they had been shot in the hand…each by themselves.  He simply asked...

"Is it Department of Corrections policy that a person's own hand is a safe direction to point the muzzle of a firearm?"   <lmao>   <laughs>

As he tells it "All the sudden they didn't want me to be an expert witness anymore."

this may sound silly, and a little noobish....but I still clear my pistols 2 or 3 times in a row EVERY time. not that I don't trust I did it right the first time, it's just the price of failure is so high.

if I'm at home...I ALWAYS stick my pinky in the chamber even after I look. never know if one of them dang invisible bullets slipped in your range bag.

Edited by blue109

About 7 miles from here, in the next town over, this happened a year and a half ago. This guy is cleaning his guns. In the living room. The kids are in the living room. One of the kids picks up a pistol and fires it. The round goes clean into the back of mommy's head, killing her instantly.

There's a mixed message there. Yeah, unload before cleaning. But yeah, if you have something chambered, keep the kids away. The kid that shot his mom is gonna feel like dog poop for the rest of his days.

I guess this is where second guessing myself is a good thing! I'm always by myself, in the basement when I clean. It's ine of those things you gotta be like "ok today I'm going to clean my guns" not rush thru it and not be in a big damn hurry. That's story about the kid is awful!! Not even his fault, all because his fathers an idiot?!?

I think its just one of those things that people take for granted because they hear it so much. "make sure your firearm is not loaded"  They just skip to the meat and potatoes and totally disregard the first sentence.

Its kinda like "make sure your vehicle is safely supported by jack stands and disconnect the negative battery cable!"...... to change your oil filter.