• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get the 5.56 or .308?  Given that guy's data, do you agree, or have you tried others that work as well or better?

I got him the M4-72. It only comes in 5.56. I haven't used many other 5.56 brakes (I don't like them due to the side concussion) so I can't really compare, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be a lot more noticeable than other brakes of similar design.

• 2 weeks later...

On my ar 308, I use the precision armament MB/comp. It alone with the rifle length gas system, heavy buffer make it amazing to shoot all day. Very soft, easy to keep on target. On one of my ar's I just built...I put the Ferfrans CRD on it, looks bad ass. It really does what it says. U can pop it off and the MB works better. You can actually tell. With the shroud on....shooting at night is insane! I was almost blinded looking thru my aimpoint! Lol. My buddy snapped some pics and got a slo mo vid. I'll try and post them... I only have my iPad so I don't know how to post them. It wouldn't let me upload the vid. Maybe the link will work

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10206477113953637

Edited by medic83

NO.  No Loc-Tite!

Use a crush washer or peel washer if it's not going to be a suppressor host.  Mount it directly to the barrel (machining might be required to time it) if it will be a suppressor host.  Use RockSet if it's going to be a suppressor host.

From: http://precisionarmament.com/product/m11-muzzle-brake/

"Accu-Washer™ Muzzle Alignment System recommended for installation to achieve best performance (not included). Caution: Do not use crush washers with this product."

From: http://precisionarmament.com/product/m41-muzzle-brake/

"M41 Spanner Wrench advised for muzzle brake installation and removal. Does not require any accu-washers or shims."

Use a crush washer or peel washer if it's not going to be a suppressor host.  Mount it directly to the barrel (machining might be required to time it) if it will be a suppressor host.  Use RockSet if it's going to be a suppressor host.

Lots of suppressor mountable muzzle devices are supposed to use peel washers/shims these days (and they come with them).

I had a PRI Brake custom made the fit seamlessly to the Barrel on my 20" & I made a 0.002" shim to index it & It would come loose even though it was torqued . I called PRI & asked how do they keep theirs on with out a lock washer of some sort & they said Loc tite . I used a small portion of Blue Loc-Tite & its been on there for years , still tight . It needs to come off to clean the barrel & Brake , so will put it back on the same way .

• 2 weeks later...

So, after reading the link below a little more thoroughly, it seems the following are in the top running for recoil reduction.  This is based on the data he collected, as well as anecdotal evidence of other bakes/comps not included, but known for preforming very well.  

Precision Armament M41 and M11                                                

LANTAC Dragon                                                                

DMPS Miculek                                                                          

VG6 Gamma                                                                           
R&D MRAD                                                                               

Surefire SFMB    

SJC Titan

Rolling Thunder

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/

Edited by D.R.D.

The M11 has 3 side ports, the Cooley only has 2.  It is interesting though, that he tested the JP/ GoGun Supercomp and Jp Recoil Eliminator, but not the JP-Cooley brake.  Is that cause he and JP don't think it works as well?  Who knows.  IT certainly could be added to the list.  Based again, on many anecdotal, claims are that the SJC TItan & Rolling Thunder work better that the JP-Cooley in terms of recoil.  I'm especially curious to see how they'd stack up against the inexpensive Miculek that preformed great, as well as the pricier PA, Lantac and R&D. (I know many of these are designed as comps, but as this guys data shows, there's quite a bit of crossover)

Edited by D.R.D.