• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Witt Machine was tested on the AR15 Muzzle Break Shootout, and it didn't perform terribly well.

As of now the APA and Alamo 4 Star Brakes are hard to beat for bigger bore.  Note that all have angled baffles much like the M4-72 brake that is leading the 5.56 testing, but with 4 ports instead of three.

The follow up reports and testing from precisionrifleblog and the upcoming muzzle brake shootout 3, should be revealing.  

How about giving the newbie a pass since that data is available, and we'd rather he save his money for something a works well?

I spoke with him about this.  He chose these since they were the most represented at PRS matches and in the precision shooting world (mostly bolt action).  That's his milieu.  Plus, as he talks about in the early parts of the testing, he was also looking at categories of design. Several of the more common brakes on the market have similar, if not identical design concepts, so would likely preform similarly.  What he found, is that there was a trend for certain types of brakes that preformed better than others, especially those with baffles that angled back towards the shooter 15-35 degrees, vs. those that only pushed gasses out 90 degrees.  Also, brakes with ports that expelled gasses from the top were understandably better at reducing muzzle rise for the most part.  If you look on thetruthaboutguns.com  "Muzzle Brake Shootout II", you can see which performed best there (amoung the "more popular" brakes out there) and compare them against which desgins precisionrifleblog.com found to work best.  Of course, you must choose what you are looking for (decrease in reward felt recoil / muzzle rise / flash / noise level / weight / etc.  He's got several installments left to look at further data and details.  Plus, the " Muzzle Brake Shootout III" is due out later next month, I believe.  So, by the end of the summer or so, we should have a lot of comparative data to make a great "Top 10" list out of.

Yes, but In some ways the muzzle signature & recoil impulse are much different with respect to a Bolt action & an AR type rifle . I just wonder what difference there is between the two types of actions with the testing they did . <dontknow>

You could say the muzzle blast of a particular Cartridge with the same loading would be close , but the movement of the action would have to make a difference , not to mention how much gas is exiting the end of the Barrel, since a certain amount of gas is being used in the AR type action  . <dontknow> Since most testing was not done with an AR type action . To me it opens a lot of questions , is one type good for all types of applications ?

Good testing thats for sure .

Good points.  That said, the test on thetruthaboutguns Muzzle Brake Shootouts were done on an AR15.  Also, while there may be difference between the impulse of an AR vs. bolt action due to reciprocating carrier group and gas movement, I'd think the overall standing of which brakes decreased in % of peak force would be the relatively the same.  At the end of the day, it gives us a better idea of which brake designs generally decrease force and muzzle movement better than others.  Choosing between the top few will likely be splitting hairs, especially if you've got an adjustable gas block and heavier buffer.  

Good points.  That said, the test on thetruthaboutguns Muzzle Brake Shootouts were done on an AR15.  Also, while there may be difference between the impulse of an AR vs. bolt action due to reciprocating carrier group and gas movement, I'd think the overall standing of which brakes decreased in % of peak force would be the relatively the same.  At the end of the day, it gives us a better idea of which brake designs generally decrease force and muzzle movement better than others.  Choosing between the top few will likely be splitting hairs, especially if you've got an adjustable gas block and heavier buffer.  

Makes perfect sense , still the two actions have a completely different felt recoil impulse , so really one would not be perceived the same as the other , no matter what brake/Comp . was used . Reciprocating mass of a AR type would change a lot of things & I don't recall them testing an 308AR in there. <laughs>

Those people spent a lot of time on those tests , not something I would jump right into. I'm still testing 308 AR Barrels of different lengths , with different Bullet ,Powder , Primer combo's & have been at it or two years . I just got a 18" bbl. for the testing & at least I have most of the Powder /Bullet/Primer loads determined , but they all have to be tested in a18" bbl. now . 

A test like they did , on a 308AR platform , would have to not only test the Muzzle device , but its effects with different Bullet weights .