• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Is the 'open carry' movement going too far?

It's only a matter of time until a concerned citizen with a CCW permit, thinking that he's stopping a mass shooting, blows away a member of civilian militia doing an 'open carry' with a rifle.

Open Carry Texas distances itself from Tarrant County followers - KHOU - May 9, 2014
http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Open-Carry-Texas-distances-itself-from-Tarrant-County-followers-258611871.html

[excerpted]

"A Texas gun-rights group known for openly carrying firearms has distanced itself from a local affiliate after police said armed members entered fast-food restaurants and frightened employees and customers twice in recent weeks."

"Open Carry Texas has a policy that authorities must be notified in advance and that demonstrators should carry flags with the group's logo, according to founder C.J.  Grisham."

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open carry of assault weapons is probably fairly common in bars and taverns in the Ukraine. And likely everyone is very cool with that, except for the guys on the other side of the argument, who are also gunned up.

And over there, they ain't shooting up bars and taverns.

So it's more a matter of what frightens citizens, who are prisoners of the popular press.

"We don't ask for permission or call anybody. We're trying to make this as normal as possible," said Kory Watkins, the Tarrant County group's coordinator.

Okay, cool enough. He wants unarmed civilians in Texas to feel like what it's like to live in the Ukraine. Or not. Maybe. This isn't a simple, easy issue.

somewhat torn. I think a gun should be no different than a hammer. it's a tool. anyone can carry a hammer around.

if I saw a group walking into burger king carrying sledge hammers I'd probably expect a Ruckus.

there shouldn't need to be any open carry "movement" because it shouldn't be an issue. but it is. the fear monger media doesn't help, but neither does a group of folks walking around with ARs daring anybody to get offended so they can spout off the legal statutes they all no doubt have memorized. the fact of the matter is, we need good publicity to hang on to what we still have. stuff like this knocks the maybes right off the fence in the wrong direction.

somewhat torn. I think a gun should be no different than a hammer. it's a tool. anyone can carry a hammer around.

Maybe it boils down to what people expect in what situation. People who go to a movie theater or a grade school, don't expect to encounter people with AR-pattern rifles. So, someone there with a CCW permit and armed would be inclined to bust a few caps on the guy with the rifle. Everyone else would run for the exits and stomp each other, resulting in boot-prints on their foreheads etc. and taking trips on ambulances, etc.

Interestingly, the far-left libtards don't want armed security in schools because it would make students accustomed to seeing weapons as a normal part of normality. They want people to be frightened of guns, even in places where they should be.

So there's problems on all ends of the spectrum, and a real shortage of ideas on what to do that's realistic and civilized.

"Open Carry Texas has a policy that authorities must be notified in advance and that demonstrators should carry flags with the group's logo, according to founder C.J.  Grisham."

Grisham?

Yeah, that's the same guy.  The one that was stopped by local LE and had the video his son got.  Same one. 

MHO ... I think the whole "Open Carry" applies to hand guns !

Yeah it Alarms Moms driving in their mini-van when they see a guy walking into a restuarant carrying an AR. Walkinlg down the street with an AK on an AR is not normal behavior.

If you have a hand gun in a holster on your waist , no one gives you more than a second look !

I think open carry should apply to anything. I shouldn't be nervous carrying a rifle because other people are irrationally afraid of it.

I also think a big group caring them just to throw it in antis faces is stupid and destined to backfire horribly.

I agree with that…just wish people would use common sense.  Carry it in a transport position on a 2-point slling, not on a single-point in the front at the ready.

As a kid I carried my rifle through town on my way to the river to hunt and check traps, nobody blinked an eye. On the contrary, I would get people stopping and asking if I'd trap some muskrats on their property. I used to work on rifles in the high school metals shop without any hassles, carried a buck knife in my pocket from 4th grade on, never a question and never a problem, we all carried knives........the media has turned this country into a bunch of nervous ninny's! :soap:

^^^ Yep, you nailed it.

This country has become Pussified.  The "I'M OFFENDED!" behavior has gone WAY too far.

If you're offended, Fuk You.  Man up, grow thick skin, and deal with the world.  The world isn't here for you - you need to blend in and become part of it.  It's tough out there, and some street thug would be more than obliging to show you that - and take your car, wallet and watch, ear rings, necklace, etc. 

This nation is swirling at the bottom of the bowl right now, about to go right down the tube...

Think of the deterrent of see a host of people walking around with open carrie , being a long gun or handgun . Some POS looking for an easy mark will be kinda nervous to say the least . I see only one major problem , how do the LE know who is legally permitted to carrie & who's not . You going to stop everyone to ask or identify. How do you know some gang bangers aren't on the war path , walking down the street with AK's , etc. I could see the cry's of racial profiling  , just pulling someone off to the side to check .

Sure, this should not even be considered in the debate to have open carrie , but it may be a product from it . I don't see a problem with people walking around with a weapon , but it will make a lot of people nervous to see it .

I was in the grocery store a couple of weeks ago & noticed a man with a side arm , I walked closer to him & noticed he had a T-shirt on with our County Sheriff Dept.'s name & SWAT in big letters , but no badge showing any where . Now how do I know this individual was legit ?

I guess you could say , well he had a SWAT T-shirt on with the local Sheriff's name on it , so he has to be , but how do you really know , except asking him to show his badge .I did not notice any one in the store ,bat an eye , or if they even noticed it .

At least with CC , you would not question ,because you don't see anything to be curious or question about or be alarmed at . I think in most cases , a long gun would get in the way of every day activities , IMO . Although I know some places , I wish I could carrie some major equipment .

Just read the Thread on ' Lost & Found " , I think its in the Club House section  & if people are forgetting all kinds of firearms & Suppressors at the range's , what's going to happen when these same type of people are walking around Wally world & setting there long gun down to try on a coat or something . WOW ! Now there's a thought.

Think of the deterrent of see a host of people walking around with open carrie , being a long gun or handgun . Some POS looking for an easy mark will be kinda nervous to say the least . I see only one major problem , how do the LE know who is legally permitted to carrie & who's not . 

You were off to a good start brother, until that underlined bit there.

Hypothetical:  so turncoats in the HoR vote to uphold Harry gReid's passage in the Senate a new law stating "No person may be armed with rifles on federal lands, unless hunting with a valid Federal Lands Hunting & Access Permit".

Just made millions of people out West illegal…once signed by Obama.

"Legally permitted/prohibited possessor/properly trained/sporting purposes"…all part of that pussification.

(best movie quoting voice) THIS IS 'MERICA!!!!

post-12390-0-91654100-1399805618_thumb.j

post-12390-0-57774900-1399805626_thumb.j

I think in most cases , a long gun would get in the way of every day activities , IMO .

Eh, not really.  You get used to is being there, and develop ways to accomplish your work with a long gun attached to you.  After awhile, you won't even notice it's there - or you know it's there and it doesn't hinder what you need to do in any way.

Prime example - military deployments.  That thing is on you 24/7, no matter what you need to accomplish.  Once you run a few long obstacle courses with a rifle on you, you realize that you can still do whatever you need to, but sometimes you have to change the way you do some things.

No, but it would eventually become socially acceptable if more women would walk around that way.

Then you would get used to it & hope they exposed more & then there would be nothing to hide any more . <laughs>

As far as the under lined quoted sentence of mine , I'm no & never have been in LE , but arriving at a call & every one has a long gun hanging around there necks would , to me , make me real nervous & maybe a little trigger happy & the wrong people could get hurt . Would need some kind of badge or open ID for me to like it .

I have carried a rifle doing mundane things & didn't like it, any more than doing the mundane things . I know in a combat zone ,I will sleep with it & keep my boots on .

You were off to a good start brother, until that underlined bit there.

Hypothetical:  so turncoats in the HoR vote to uphold Harry gReid's passage in the Senate a new law stating "No person may be armed with rifles on federal lands, unless hunting with a valid Federal Lands Hunting & Access Permit".

Just made millions of people out West illegal…once signed by Obama.

"Legally permitted/prohibited possessor/properly trained/sporting purposes"…all part of that pussification.

(best movie quoting voice) THIS IS 'MERICA!!!!

This kind of thing is what happens when people think the Second Amendment is about defense of the home.

on my last deployment, I came home when the stop-loss ended since I was already months past my ETS date. my unit stayed and a small group of us flew home commercial from Kuwait and left our weapons and a bunch of our gear there. I was literally having panic attacks not having my rifle with me. we ran out of toothpaste, deodorant, razors. we stunk. we pooped in chopped 50gal cans hidden behind a dirt berm. we saw a shower whenever the "shower truck" graced us with it's presences, but damn if that rifle was ever more than 5' away. there comes a point when it's more uncomfortable to be without it than with it. wish I could achieve that level of comfort again.

Edited by blue109

Open carry mixed with a place serving Alchohol is not a good idea, period. All it takes is one person who cannot handle their alcohol. And I am guessing we all know one person that that combination would be dangerous in.